The "Explore <YOUR STATE>" Badge?

I have an idea.

What if there was a badge or reward specifically for each state that the Scouts could earn? This badge would be issued maybe by the state itself to Scouts who have visited, camped at, and hiked a certain amount of designated sites in that state. Sites could include state, national, and local parks, scenic areas, military bases, and historical sites. What I'd like to see is an emphasis on the outdoor attractions and nature with less emphasis on indoor attractions. Granted states like California could have more than one. I think it would be a great way for the Scouts to explore their own states and maybe get badges for as many other states as they could?

Just an idea.

So I'd like to ask your opinion on such a badge and does any state do something already like this? The closest I've seen is at the Kansas Cosmosphere which has Scout programs.

Councils would hate that idea, wouldn't they? My council pushes their camps for us to use every month. We go all over but they (council) gives you the stink eye when they ask you why you don't use their camps instead. ;)

Well you had me in another April first thing for a few moments. I thought you were about to announce a patch that I've never heard of, lol.

Rhode Island would just about be out of luck! And District of Columbia, probably shaped like what, a dollar bill?

Like Devices? national would certainly go for that, they love devices. Devices suck.

How about a cutaway? Imagine a pach with threads that, when removed, reveal a pattern underneath. Camp in each corner of your state, and you will have exposed an underlying pattern.

• 2 months later...

Girl Scouts here in Michigan had such a badge. I don't if it still exists or not. Required things like knowing the state flower, tree, bird, capital and some history. Also required visiting a list of places in the state. If I remember right the list was quite long and the number of visits was fairly low. But it did require that you go to a region other than your own. I think one of the BSA councils had a similar badge. It was lost when we had our statewide merger to one main council from 9. The merger hasn't faired as promised. We've lost a lot of unique programs and activities. The state badge was one of them.

I would love to see it brought back. It'd be fun to visit a new state and the boys could earn something n the process.

Warning tech-averse Scouters:  Pokemon GO is a thing.  And it is getting people up to wander around outside.  You've been warned.

Yes... my youngest put around 10 miles on the family dog this weekend, hunting down various 'n sundry critters.