Have you actually heard this being proposed at a district or council level. To be fair, district and council get a lot of blame for things they never heard. You present a good idea, but has that idea actually been seriously proposed. You know, IOLS instructors (I was one) have personal lives also. Training a different troop each weekend is not really good for family time either. 

I like the idea, just need to figure out how to give it a try. My experience is Council it open to new ideas, but rarely do new ideas go very far because they have unforeseen challenges of their own.

Barry

I think they meant Certified Trainers in their Troop to train folks in their own units. 

Edited by Sentinel947
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Did ja know that people can get college credit for life experience?  Just sayin'

Really?  Get back to us next year and share what you've learned.   In my experience; 5% of training is useful information (being generous here), 45% is a good ole boy fluffing his feathers, and 50%

My cousin has a guy like this in his unit. Recon Marine, sniper, etc. Had to get him certified as an RSO. Showed up at the NRA training, showed them his military ID, discussed his qualifications, had

I think they meant Certified Trainers in their Troop to train folks in their own units. 

That is an even more interesting, the IOLS syllabus is, or was, a two day course requiring several instructors. I can see the Council struggling with that. Insuring that each unit instructor is delivering the material properly would take some thought. While I still would consider the idea, I can certainly understand the reluctance from those who are responsible for training quality.

Barry

Edited by Eagledad
  • Upvote 1

Many councils are offering IOLS at summer camp with no fee.  You might check on yours.

My council does this, and you can spread it over more than one year if necessary, it took me two years and the testing out of a section through my District Training Chair to finally complete mine.

My council does this, and you can spread it over more than one year if necessary, it took me two years and the testing out of a section through my District Training Chair to finally complete mine.

You'd think someone could develop an online version to test certain things (like plants, animals, etc.) and then have a 3 hour "test" for the more hands-on things. If you have ARC basic first aid (or professionally trained like @@Stosh and others) you can show those credentials as equivalency for IOLS. 

Soccer referees do this nationally in the US (and Germany). You take the basic course and pass, then need to recert every year but can do that online.

As @@fred johnson points out in another thread about Cub Scout training, BSA is going the opposite direction with their training; they're making it HARDER to track rather than making it easier to find, take, track and re-certify. National is not just missing the boat, they haven't even woken up yet.

Edited by Krampus

As @@fred johnson points out in another thread about Cub Scout training, BSA is going the opposite direction with their training; they're making it HARDER to track rather than making it easier to find, take, track and re-certify. National is not just missing the boat, they haven't even woken up yet.

The rest of the world is getting better and better at online/distance learning, and BSA is going in the other direction.  You have to work hard at that level of dysfunction.  Must be something in the water down there in DFW. :)

The rest of the world is getting better and better at online/distance learning, and BSA is going in the other direction.  You have to work hard at that level of dysfunction.  Must be something in the water down there in DFW. :)

LOL, well since many of the country's top businesses are moving to this area I don't think it is that. I suspect, and I may be wrong, but I think it has to do with two phenomenon. The first is the nature of non-profit management. Although BSA is a "corporation" (under Title 36 of the USC), it is a non-profit and very much run like one. Anyone who has worked with or for a non-profit can tell you they are rife with mismanagement. They make VERY bad decisions, are slow to act and change is not something that is ever well thought out....though those involved will swear they are on the cutting-edge.

Second is the good old boy/girl network. Those involved in Scouting think they know best. Member input is nice to show on a graph so you can show you "care", but they never listen to it really. This is clear in many things BSA does.

• Upvote 1