The SM suggests candidates, and the Troop Committee votes. If the Ayes have it, you still can't put the patch on until you are fully trained- YPT, Scoutmaster Basic and IOLS. We currently have 4 ASMs, one being the former SM- he is a wealth of information and Scout lore, and is our regular Roundtable attendee. We currently have 34 active Scouts, and just got handed 6 applications from the Webelos/AOL Den of the Pack that we generally draw from (6 for 6, actually). We don't have a set number, but try to keep it to a small number, as our function is to assist the SM. We have a very active committee and other parents that we count on to support our outdoor program.

Home Troop had 28 Scouts last year, 22 right now.  New SM less than 6 months, 3 official ASMs.  Will soon have one more, the Last Eagle Scout , he will be 19 in  3 months and is gung ho to keep involved, local Junior College and all.  He even asked me about Wood Badge last Com Meeting!

It is, I see , a combination of who asks to be, and who acquiesces when asked.  Lord knows, I have gently prodded a  couple of good candidates, but they just keep on driving and attending camp trips in  "civies".

No quota system or formal vetting or vote, but not "any warm body" either. Those who do best as direct contact leaders are ASMs. Those who do best mobilizing our parents as needed, MCs.

• For new adults:
    • It's pretty obvious who is who after a campout or two.
    • SM makes recommendations to CC and COR they invite the new person to come on board.
    • We accept paperwork first, then give them until recharter to get trained.
  • Former SM's don't disappear. They demote to ASM. Practically, they are SM-emeritus. From my reading here, others have found this a source of friction. We haven't. Knowing how it feels to be "the guy", these gentlemen understand where and how to assist.
  • It used to be any willing former SPL/JASM would be promoted to ASM at age 18. (One day of those young men's time is invaluable -- at the risk of some shortcomings in maturity.) Now, with the PA state clearance mandates, that's trickled off.
  • Troops similar to ours have had young female ASMs ... they are usually mentored closely because they haven't come up through the program or brought their own boys up through cubs. But, soon they come on strong and do well.
  • Upvote 1

I have always operated with one ASM.  I have 2 active boys right now, but I have had as many as 28.  Still just one ASM.  My current ASM asked to be my ASM because she wanted to know about the boy-led, patrol-method approach I use.  She is also the District Commissioner.

The committee and parents know there are only the two of us and always stand ready to step in as needed to cover 2-deep.  All are YTP trained.

• Upvote 1

our troop has several ASM's, I think 4.  I think around 20-30 scouts

Over at scoutmastercg, he had a podcast that spoke of this.  In his opinion, a troop really doesn't need more than 1 or maybe two ASM's.  One is preparing to takeover, sort of like a 1st ASM.  He talked about how too many adults involved make it too likely for misdirection, confusion, etc...  Basically, if I remember correctly that ASM's shouldn't really interact or talk directly with the scouts unless specifically directed to do something particular.

I guess the idea was that it's very unlikely that everyone will be on the same page all the time, and you never know when teh SM might have something in mind that gets undermined by a well intention ed ASM or other adult.

Personally, I find this idea too extreme, but I do see his point. 

Hmm, I thought a troop needed a SM or ASM for outdoor activities but looking at the Tour Permit two adult (registered) leaders are required. Could the Troop Treasurer and Popcorn Guy take the troop camping if the SM approved and they had the required training? Seems so,

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Upvote 1

New parents are requested to serve on the troop committee for 1 year prior to becoming ASM.  Time to learn troop culture, transition from Pack to Troop mentality, keep them away from the their son, etc. 

As mentioned, within a campout or two, you can spot those that will work well in the field with direct contact and those that are better suited for troop committee work.  SM can and has waived the 1 year committee work for those he felt would be do their best work as ASM.  The troop pays all fees for any costs for all adult training including IOLS, SM specific, and Woodbadge.  Troop culture encourages adults to get trained in their position.  Several of the ASMs are council trainers and regularly teach.  Each year at least 2 adults take WFA so they can attend high adventure trips.

SM has an unofficially designated ASM that will take over the SM role if the SM is not available for an event.  Not an heir apparent, just the ASM that works well as the designated temporary SM.  Troop varies between 5-6 patrols and we have about 8-10 ASM.  About 5 or 6 attend virtually every troop function.  The others are more like 25%-50% or as needed.  At least 1/3 are wood badge trained.  The "regulars" have deep and broad outdoor skill sets.  All the regulars have attended at least 1 high adventure with many attending multiple high adventure bases. 

Typically only ASMs drive scouts to campouts and the troop only takes as many as needed to shuttle all the scouts to the event.  We are a fully uniformed troop and typically the ASMs wear full uniforms 100% of the time.  Yes, the entire weekend of camping.  If particularly hot or if doing manual labor, will remove uniform shirt and wear a BSA related T-shirt but still wear uniform socks and pants. 

• Upvote 1

Pulse. Breathing. Willing to jump in. Willing to get trained. Good attitude with the kids.

I. Love. That. Answer. 

Our Scoutmaster invites folks. CC approves. Any other aspect of the process is hidden to me. I stay in my lane, that's not my lane. 

We have 1 Scoutmaster. 4 ASM's that still actively attend meetings and camp, and another 3 Assistant Scoutmaster Emertius, who are not active, but will come by and pitch in when they can. We have 75 Scouts on the roster after rechartering. 

Sentinel947 

When I came onboard with my Troop I was just a strange 30-something guy off the street who was looking to get back into Scouting but this time as a volunteer.  The Troop had a SM who was looking to step down and pursue life in other ways outside of Scouting and there were probably 3-4 ASMs at the time who went camping and stepped in whenever needed.  However, they didn't desire to be SM in the slightest.  So the volunteered after having been an ASM for less that six months.  

So what I'm saying is our Troop's "culture" has a pretty steady corps of ASMs who stay on year after year after year.  There are the occasional Scouts who turn 18, register as an ASM, and then go off to college never to really fulfill that role.  We've taken to suggesting the college Scouter reserve rather than registering these young men as ASMs.  

If someone wants to be an ASM and is willing to help out then I say sign 'em up!