scouts on the autism scale, how much to "bend" merit badge requirements?

I cheated.  ADD/ADHD kids tend to get overly focused as a group.  This kid was on a mission and loving it.  I think he was a bit disappointed when the fundraiser was over.  He was very reluctant at first, but it was like someone flipped a switch and off he went.   :)  His mother was one of the parents who had me removed as SM because I expected too much leadership out of the boys.  

Boy-led can be a double-edged sword especially when dealing with parents.  Not all parents want their dear little babies to grow up.

By the way, did I mention the boy was 13 years old?  :)

Edited by Stosh
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After browsing in the Guide to Advancement a bit, I would suggest sections 10.2.2.0 and 10.2.2.3 as the most directly relevant provisions. I think the first one gives some indication of how much thing

I think the first question that needs to be answered by a Scout in this situation (and those advising him) is: What requirement(s), for what merit badge, can I NOT do because of my disability? It can'

Again with icon hate? What's with you guys? The people complaining are so darn liberal about other peoples' feelings and rights, yet when someone has an icon (of all things) that is based on a cultura

My son is on the Autism Spectrum. There are a lot of things in his life that he can't do. He's having a hard time learning how to swim. He does this crawl. It's not pretty, but it gets the job done. He doesn't let that stop him. He had made it his mission to learn how to swim, not for advancement, but in order to pass the BSA swimmer test so that one day he can earn some waterfront merit badges at summer camp. 

• Upvote 1

My son is on the Autism Spectrum. There are a lot of things in his life that he can't do. He's having a hard time learning how to swim. He does this crawl. It's not pretty, but it gets the job done. He doesn't let that stop him. He had made it his mission to learn how to swim, not for advancement, but in order to pass the BSA swimmer test so that one day he can earn some waterfront merit badges at summer camp. 

Probably a tough challenge for him, but in the end may be as rewarding as an Eagle medallion in the greater scheme of things.  Once he gets this under his belt, how many other things that he thought might not be possible now stand before him?  This is how great character is built, one challenge at a time!

I had one boy sign up for swimming MB that couldn't swim.   :)  The first year at camp he went down to the waterfront and worked his tail off.  No, he didn't get his swimming MB, but the smile from ear-to-ear on Friday told me he passed the BSA swim test.  Yes, he did eventually earned the swimming and life-saving MB and went on to Eagle.

Congratulate your son for me for his determination.  If my boys put in half the effort you son does, they would all be fantastic Eagle scouts!

Edited by Stosh