How far do they travel?

We had a boy who moved out of the area, about 25 miles away. He continued with our Troop for about 6 months, then started becoming more scarce. We did everything we could think of to hook him up with a Scoutmaster in his new area, but eventually he faded away and did not transfer to a closer Troop. It was very sad. This kid was doing great in Scouting, and it was a big value to him.

Other than this boy, our longest commute is about 10 miles.

Mark

We have a couple of boys that have moved to neighboring towns and have chosed to stay with our troup instead of transferring to troops in their own towns. They commute 10 miles or so each way.

I think they stay because it is a way for them to stay connected to friends in the town they left and friends in the troop. Both continue to be very active. One is now our SPL and I wouldn't be suprised to see the other elected SPL next year.

SA

The longest I've had a Scout travel to meetings was 20 miles. That was in 1998. The Average now is 8 miles.

The reason was our program was Fun and we actually did things. Unfortunately, Economics forced the Scout to drop out due to the distance.

Matua(This message has been edited by matuawarrior)

I commute about 12 miles one way to the meetings. There some boys who live in another direction and commute about the same distance. They drive past their old troop because this troop adheres as best it can to the letter of the regulations. Their old troop had restrictive rules (such as 6 months to finish a MB).

25 miles

about half way there are 2 other Troops.

Our Troop is growing; the other two reducing and now barely viable.

No surprises as to why. Youth led, very active PLC, exciting program, fun, high level of practical skills, challenging (even arduous) activities and I like to think because I concentrate on law, promise and the development of good young men and women. Actually I am a bit concerned that we adults will not have the time and energy to keep up with PLC plans this year...but then again another dad volunteered for training last night.

All the scouts live near by approx. 10 miles round trip-- but two adult leaders travel 35 miles round trip every troop meeting and outing --rain or snow storm even use their vacation time to go to long term camp -- dedication a strong sense of gratification and a good time.PS- neither one had a boy in the troop, but were scouts as a boy. RM