Webelos/arrow Of Light Adventure Question

With the new program, I have a question about Webelos and Arrow of Light adventures.  I have a group of 1st year webelos (Webelos I) that are going to be attending a pack campout.  Are they able to work on requirements for the "Camper" adventure as Webelos.  Or can the Arrow of Light adventures only be earned during the Arrow of Light (Webelos II) year?

They will be there and doing the requirements anyway, I just was curious if we could award them the pins for this, or if it had to wait until next year.

Maybe others will correct me, but I have not seen anything that states you can't work on the AoL required pins before finishing the Webelos badge.  So I would say sure, they can earn the Camper pin, but I don't think you can count it as one of the "electives" for the Webelos badge.  But they will then have it already done for next year.

Even if it were clear that it was supposed to be not worked on by a 1st year cub.....I would ask myself, what are the ramifications of a cub scout or scouter going outside of that area of the program?  Who will care next year?.... or who will care when the boy goes for 1st class.... or eagle?

The answer is that it does not matter.

it does not affect anyone

and nobody will remember it past next week.

SO, if it means that the boys would have fun working on it, then do it.....

just by humble and sour opinion.

<<

Even if it were clear that it was supposed to be not worked on by a 1st year cub.....I would ask myself, what are the ramifications of a cub scout or scouter going outside of that area of the program?  Who will care next year?.... or who will care when the boy goes for 1st class.... or eagle?

The answer is that it does not matter.

it does not affect anyone

and nobody will remember it past next week.

SO, if it means that the boys would have fun working on it, then do it.....>>

I agree.

Personally I feel less and less bound by all the BSA rules each year.

My aim is to have a quality program and a quality experience for boys,  and I tend not to let BSA rules get in the way of those objectives.

Not only can they work on it, but the Cub can skip working on the Webelos badge altogether and start working on AOL. My son realized that at 10.5, he can earn the AOL and Cross Over. Before the end of the school year, he will be 10.5, and has decided to skip working on the Webelos badge and get to work on AOL. His Webelos pins will be used as electives for the AOL.