Recently when looking at an Eagle project proposal the "mom" who was sitting near by asked what was the least he would have to do.  The son was doing fine and owning his proposal and it was a fine idea.  I just looked at the mom and said I wasn't going there. 

Recently when looking at an Eagle project proposal the "mom" who was sitting near by asked what was the least he would have to do. The son was doing fine and owning his proposal and it was a fine idea. I just looked at the mom and said I wasn't going there.

Lol. My answer: His best! There is no minimum. Edited by Bad Wolf
  • Upvote 1

Recently when looking at an Eagle project proposal the "mom" who was sitting near by asked what was the least he would have to do.  The son was doing fine and owning his proposal and it was a fine idea.  I just looked at the mom and said I wasn't going there. 

That's just great.  Reminds me of the conversation I once had with the mother of a high school senior who was a Girl Scout, and Mom told me she wasn't encouraging her daughter to go for her Gold Award because it would be completed too late to put on her college applications anyway, so why bother?  Great attitude to pass along to your daughter, Mom.  Just great.  (To say nothing of the fact that presumably nobody forced the young woman to wait until she was almost 18 to do her project or whatever, but we all know how that goes.)

"On behalf of the Qunfjhtimffk Construction Company, I would like to thank the Mmmvvery State Construction Board for the awarding of our contract for the construction of the Omygod  reservoir river dam.  I am happy to address this meeting of the Board.   I would like to ask, what is the least we can do to complete the dam? "

I had a dad -- an ASM as a matter of fact -- tell me he wanted his son to hurry up and earn Eagle by the 8th grade so he would be done with Scouting and go on "better" stuff in high school.  I told him to go ahead and fill out his son's Eagle application and I would sign it.  "Really?" the dad asked.  "Will that work?"

"Does it matter?" I replied and walked away.

• Upvote 4

I had a dad -- an ASM as a matter of fact -- tell me he wanted his son to hurry up and earn Eagle by the 8th grade so he would be done with Scouting and go on "better" stuff in high school.  I told him to go ahead and fill out his son's Eagle application and I would sign it.  "Really?" the dad asked.  "Will that work?"

LOL. Amen!

I had the opposite happen. I had the advancement chair come to me and remind me to remind my son he has only a few requirements to complete for Eagle. My reply? "He will either make it or not make it, but whatever he does it will be his decision. I'm not lifting a finger to help unless he asks, and even then I will only do what I am allowed to by policy. I won't remind him of anything. This is his journey."

The look on the guys face was priceless, as he had hounded his kid (a classmate of my son) all the time to make sure he completed Eagle by 16....so he could get he license.

You should have advised him that if that's all it meant to him and his son, he could just buy an Eagle badge on Ebay and skip all the character-building crap.

• Upvote 1

I actually had a mom that was that way as well, a neighbor of mine, in fact.  Her son made Eagle just before the end of 8th grade.  Stayed in long enough to go on a High Adventure later that summer.  Re-registered the kid every year, so he could say that he was in scouts for such an amount of time and actually had the nerve at one point to ask if she could have a discount on her annual fee because he wasn't really active and didn't get the benefits that the fee covered.  We told her that if that was what she wanted then she should find another troop to re-charter with.

My biggest regret as a leader in scouts was this boy's Eagle rank.  I was intimidated by the overbearing mother at the time.  Never let that happen again!

My biggest regret as a leader in scouts was this boy's Eagle rank.  I was intimidated by the overbearing mother at the time.  Never let that happen again!

We all have one of those. But the ones we produced AFTER are ones I will stack up against any others.

• Upvote 2

@@scoutldr

"You should have advised him that if that's all it meant to him and his son, he could just buy an Eagle badge on Ebay and skip all the character-building crap."

Well said, don't you think gentlemen?

• Upvote 1

Not an Eagle story, but similar, so I will share...

In my college career, I thought I'd be an engineer. Went to my counselor to sign up for my next semester classes, and for an elective, said I'd like to take a class in Art. He suggested some "History of" and "appreciation of" and I said, no, I'd like a studio class, maybe charcoal, pencil, black and white.  He said those were not available to Science or Engineer majors, only Appreciation and History and such...  I sighed and signed up a "Discussion on the Fire and  Water of the 19th century". 

First class:  Lecture room of ,oh, maybe 200 kids. Prof comes in , passes out the syllabus (no text book, research!), and asks, "who of you are science, math or engineering majors?"  About half the hands went up . Prof says, "Alright.  Put your name on a piece of paper, with your student ID number, the letter C, and leave it on the desk up here when you leave today, and we don't need to see each other ever again."  And he began his lecture and showing examples of art.

Next time, the hall had about 75 students, me among them.  One of my more memorable classes.