Troop Wants To Change Council.

Go to solution Solved by derf56,

Bad district leadership CAN be changed!   There is a BSA procedure to do that.

Google "District nominating committee"  and study the information provided by BSA.

Just as Packs and Troops have to decide on their leadership each year,  so do districts.

The District Committee Chair is required to appoint a nominatin committee of Scouters each year,  and the council appoints one or more people to the committee.

The Nominating Committee then decides who will be eligible to be nominated when the Nominating Committee calls a District Annual Meeting and conducts a yes-or-no election on their choices for all elected district officers and Committee Chairs.

My district had leadership that was worn down,  worn out an ineffective,  but kept hanging on because they didn't see anyone else willing to serve.

When a nominating committee was finally appointed,  they found some excellent new leadership we are benefitting from,  and instead of being in a death spiral downward,  we are in a growth spiral upward.

As a Chartered Organization Rep,  I simply made the point at district meetings that a nominating committee was REQUIRED by BSA.  After a period of education as district leaders and volunteers took to understand the process,  the nominating committee was appointed and we are now in a much better position.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

...and here I was believing that "For the boys" drivel.

Thank you to all who responded. We have received all info from national, in writing. A troop cannot move from one council to another for any reason, Unless all leaders and scouts physically move to t

Smart, Smart... You avoided a civil war in the old homestead.

• Solution

Thank you to all who responded. We have received all info from national, in writing. A troop cannot move from one council to another for any reason, Unless all leaders and scouts physically move to that council. Also they would get a new number, and a new sponsor.(unless sponsor moves with them)

My wife is their commissioner and doing a great job. I am the district commissioner but have bein staying out of process.

• Upvote 1

Forgive me, but I don't think it's required that the scouts and leaders physically move their residences to the new council.  Our district and council assignment was based on the physical address of the CO (sponsor).  We attracted scouts who lived in many different locations...council cashed their registration checks just fine.

Don't change Councils or Districts.  Change the way you run your Unit. 

By "run", I mean the "program" your boys do.  If you set a great example, the rest of the D or C will notice, believe me.  

Need more challenge in camporees or Klondikes?  Attend a different District's!   Need more opportunity in summer camp?  Look on the Internet!   Any Scout can attend any BSA certified Camp!  THANK YOU  Mr. Cerf and Mr. Kahn! 

Scoutson met a truckdriver in his work, fellow was a Scouter in a neighboring Council, lived in PA.  They got to talking, next thing I know, Scoutson and I are staffing an archery range in a Camporee maybe 90 miles from home! It was great! Met some great Scouts and Scouters.  Learned how "they " do it.  Had a free (!) campout, and got to tell the same old campfire jokes to folks that had never heard them! Really! 

So I say, the Council is a geographical construct.  Your town ain't gonna move to another state,  Your Troop isn't gonna move to another Council, but YOU can travel and experience the wonders of other Scout people's efforts.  See the example, bring it home and let the rest of your Scout world benefit thereby.

The members of a unit do not need to be in the same district or council as the unit.

My council has 3 districts.  At one point I lived in one district, had a scout troop in the second and a Venturing crew in the third.  My Venturing crew had members from 4 different councils in 3 different states.  :)  It all worked out, no problems.

My current troop is going to go to it's first council activity ever for the spring camporee.  Up until now all their activities have been out of council because they sounded better than what the council offered.  Summer camp in June will be back to out of council.

A Person Can Register in any Unit...As long as the Unit agrees...I have seen people pay and stay registered with their "Home" Unit regardless where they Live. If a Unit wants to Carry someone on their Rolls as a Member they Can to Bump their Stats..I know people who are states away and have not attended any Local events in Many years but have never had a Lapse in Membership in their Home Unit.

I myself have looked into registering with another Unit in another Council in order to Volunteer and Be Active in a Better Functioning Council and OA Lodge..My Local Council and Lodge should be disbanded...Neither seem to be representing BSA in the Best Interest of The Scouts...They seem to Exist for a Select few..I am Unregistered at the Moment and May Never Re-Register unless I do move to an Area where I can Volunteer and not just be expected to Donate Money Money Money Money and More Money without being Involved

Thank you to all who responded. We have received all info from national, in writing. A troop cannot move from one council to another for any reason, Unless all leaders and scouts physically move to that council. Also they would get a new number, and a new sponsor.(unless sponsor moves with them) My wife is their commissioner and doing a great job. I am the district commissioner but have bein staying out of process.

So BSA requires leaders to live in the council in which they serve? ROFL...good luck enforcing that one, BSA.

I suspect BSA that the unit belongs to the council in which it is CHARTERED, not where the leaders live. That would be just silly to require leaders to live in council....and even tougher to enforce.

BSA apparently does not require Scouters to live in councils in which they serve.  I live close to the junction of three councils.  I am registered in those three councils and serve in each to varying extents.

What does it mean to "belong" to a district or council?  

I think it means no more than that a unit is registered in the council within which the unit's CO is located, certain "paperwork" has to be. "filed" with that council, and certain fees have to be paid at that Council.  

What Scouting events you attend and where you donate money seems to be your choice.  

One of my councils has routinely trained Scouters from the adjoining council's east district since that district has offered no training on the Scout side for three years and did no Cub training for two years.  Because I staff those training events, I can assure you that the Scouters from "over west" are happily accepted at training, as are their units for camporees and Klondikes.  

That virtually training-less district also has had no roundtable staff for three years, so some of its Scouters "cross the line" to attend roundtable.

What is the penalty for wearing the "wrong" CSP?  (I avoid the issue with three different shirts.)