A couple of questions

To answer your last question about any awards he can earn from going to camp. Attending day or resident camp is one of the requirements for the Outdoor Activity Award. I will get yelled at for saying this but it looks like a OA flap so many of the boys love to show it off. http://www.scouting.org/Home/CubScouts/Leaders/Awards/CSOutdoorActivityAward.aspx

Anybody remember having their Bobcat pinned on upside down, then once you did a good turn, your parent(s) would allow you to turn it right-side up?

For some reason, I remember that being a tradition when I was a kid, but 4 decades have produced a fairly muddled memory.

Anybody remember having their Bobcat pinned on upside down' date=' then once you did a good turn, your parent(s) would allow you to turn it right-side up? For some reason, I remember that being a tradition when I was a kid, but 4 decades have produced a fairly muddled memory.[/quote'] That sounds like a fun idea. Is it something we could do now?

Our pack presents the parent pin to the scout on his collar upside down and then when he does a good turn he presents it to his parent. I suppose if you want to take the risk of stabbing the cub with a safety pin and getting sued you could pin the bobcat badge to him. :) I have heard of actually holding the scout upside down and pinning the bobcat to him but I saw some memo from National that considers that hazing, I think. Oh, here is an old thread on the subject. http://www.scouter.com/forum/cub-scouts/16757-bobcat-tradition

Officially, the bobcat pin (patch) is not pinned to a Cub Scout upside down - it's already been earned and should be awarded as if it is earned. Pinning it upside down until a good turn is done can be seen as adding a requirement. Officially.

Unofficially, it's been a tradition in many Cub Scout Packs for a long, long time (mine was pinned on me upside down in the 1960's. The Packs that took it a step further and turned the boys upside down pretty much ended the wink and nod over the practice - not that the BSA will come down on a pack for pinning the Bobcat upside down but now they won't ignore complaints about it as quickly.

Of course, every new Bobcat got the pin turned rightside up as soon as the meeting ended since another tradition in our pack was for the Webelos to come up and welcome the new Bobcats and whisper in their ears that they should run to their cars at the end of the meeting and hold open the car doors for their mothers - good turn done (of course, this was in the days before people routinely locked their car doors).

Anybody remember having their Bobcat pinned on upside down, then once you did a good turn, your parent(s) would allow you to turn it right-side up? For some reason, I remember that being a tradition when I was a kid, but 4 decades have produced a fairly muddled memory.

We did that also..and Pack 1 Still does it. And It is done with every Cub Scout and Webelos Rank.

Sadly one of the Things that Hurts Cub Scouting is the Summer Break Thing....My Den we had Activities and Meetings Year around..although the Other Dens and the Pack took a Break. Scouts and Parents liked the year around meetings. We had our New Scouts and Parents ready for the "official September" Start of the year. Everyone else was behind. I Made certificates for everything My Scouters participated in..City Christmas Parade, Pack Lock in, Pack Camp Out, Popcorn Sales, etc...

As for Earning the BB Gun Belt Loop

Did they Meet the Following Requirements?

[h=3]Requirements for the BB Gun Shooting Belt Loop[/h]

1. Explain the rules of safe BB gun shooting you have learned to your leader or adult partner.
  2. Demonstrate to your leader or adult partner good BB gun shooting techniques, including eye dominance, shooting shoulder, breathing, sight alignment, trigger squeeze, follow through.
  3. Practice shooting at your district or your council camp in the time allowed

[h=3]Requirements for the BB Gun Shooting Pin[/h]

Earn the BB Gun shooting belt loop and complete five of the following requirements:

1. Explain the parts of a BB gun and demonstrate how to properly load the gun.
  2. Demonstrate the shooting positions.
  3. Develop proficient shooting techniques by practicing for three hours.
  4. Learn the correct scoring techniques for target BB gun shooting.
  5. Make a poster that emphasizes the proper range commands.
  6. Draw to scale or set up a BB gun shooting range.
  7. Show improvement in your shooting ability with an increase in scoring points.
  8. Help make a type of target for the camp BB gun shooting range.
  9. Show how to put away and properly store BB gun shooting equipment after use.
  10. Explain how to use the safety mechanism on a BB gun.
  11. Tell five facts about the history of BB guns.

Councils may provide extra opportunities for a boy and his adult partner to continue qualifying for a pin after the council camp experience is over. However, a certified range officer must be present for shooting credits to be valid.

Requirements for the BB Gun Shooting Sports Award Certificate

Certificates may be awarded to the Cub Scout or Webelos Scout at any time he achieves a level of marksmanship. It is possible to earn five certificates if every level of marksmanship has been accomplished.

Before completing the Pro Marksman requirements below, the following criteria must be met:

• Instruction: Complete a basic BB gun marksmanship safety course.
  • Shooting: Fire five groups of shots (three shots per group) that can be covered by a quarter, and then adjust the BB gun sight so that the group is centered on a bullseye. (No specific score is required.) Then fire the Marskmanship levels shown below.

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]Marksman Level[/TD]

[TD=align: center]Target[/TD]

[TD]Position[/TD]

[TD=align: center]Bullseyes Required[/TD]

[TD=align: center]Shots per Bullseye[/TD]

[TD=align: center]Min. Score per Shot[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Pro Marksman[/TD]

[TD=align: center]TQ-40[/TD]

[TD]Benchrest[/TD]

[TD=align: center]5[/TD]

[TD=align: center]8[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Marksman I[/TD]

[TD]Standing[/TD]

[TD=align: center]10[/TD]

[TD=align: center]20[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Marksman II[/TD]

[TD]Prone[/TD]

[TD=align: center]35[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Marksman III[/TD]

[TD]Kneeling[/TD]

[TD=align: center]25[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Marksman IV[/TD]

[TD]Sitting[/TD]

[TD=align: center]30[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

"Like I said..."

"""Yes tigers can earn sports and academic belt loops (at least next year)."" =Sydney Porter= This has been true since Tigers were invented, however , SHOULD they earn them?

I served as Archery RO for many CSDCs, and the last time, I was informed by the DCD that since the curriculum included all the Archery Pin requirements, the Tigers had participated, ergo, they earned the pin. When I pointed out that the curriculum was presented to me and I had not drawn it up, and that I did not ordinarily think that Tigers were mature enough to handle the equipment and the range as I would like a Pin holder to , I was told that was not germane, that if I followed the curriculum provided, every Cub would have earned the BL and the Pin. I told her that I thought the Pin should require more than merely participating and listening to my Scout assistants safety and history classes, that I would ordinarily ask Cubs desirous of the Pin to come to camp one day an hour early to help set up and stay an hour later to help take down, thereby fulfilling the requirement (which is "optional" it turns out) , I was told again that that was an "optional" requirement, and not necessary. Any Cub can (and will) earn the BL AND Pin.

So here is Cub Scouts, can't fail. In my previous camps, my DCD and I both agreed that the Pins required an extra effort on the Cub's part, that the BL might be "automatic", but not the Pins. Sic Gloria Mundi.

If your Cub (or their Den Walkers) bring back a list of "rank requirements and BLs earned", the responsible Cub Leader will review with the Cub what he actually remembers doing. The list may be overly optimistic. The curriculum may not have been followed. The Station Scouter may not have had time to do what he wanted to do.

Reward the Cub with what he earned, help him to earn the rest. The badge/rank will mean more to him, and he will learn to expect actually working for something he desires.

So you Changed and Added Requirements to fit your personal opinion of what has to be done.

Scouting has always been Once Signed off, it is earned...Cub Scouts, Webelos, Boy Scouts.