Read this, it will make you feel proud to be an American

This is the speech I have always used for flag ceremonies, although I do like and agree with the entirety of the first speech posted.

I am your Flag

I was born on June 14th, 1777.

I am more than just cloth shaped into design.

I am the refuge of the World's oppressed people.

I am the silent sentinel of Freedom.

I am the emblem of the greatest

sovereign nation on earth.

I am the inspiration for which American Patriots

gave their lives and fortunes.

I have led your sons into battle from Valley Forge

to the bloody swamps of Vietnam.

I walk in silence with each of your Honored Dead,

to their final resting place beneath the silent

White Crosses, row upon row.

I have flown through Peace and War,

Strife and Prosperity,

and amidst it all I have been respected.

My Red Stripes.... symbolize the blood spilled

in defense of this glorious nation.

My White Stripes.... signify the burning tears

shed by Americans who lost their sons.

My Blue Field.... is indicative of God's heaven

under which I fly.

My Stars.... clustered together, unify 50 states as one,

for God and Country.

"Old Glory" is my nickname,

and proudly I wave on high.

Honor me, respect me, defend me

with your lives and fortunes.

Never let my enemies tear down from my lofty position,

lest I never return.

Keep alight the fires of patriotism,

strive earnestly for the spirit of democracy.

Worship Eternal God and keep His Commandments,

and I shall remain the bulwark of peace

and freedom for all mankind.

I am your Flag.

Written By Marine MSgt.Percy Webb

I would also suggest the following links for those of you that have forgotten about patriotism or for all those who dont understand the United States international policies:

http://www.lyricscafe.com/w/worley_darryl/025.htm?lyricscafe=749d13ff4ae9e9af4cfe77bd07e2278e

http://www.lyricscafe.com/k/keith_toby/080.html

http://www.liddyshow.us/

http://www.liddyshow.us/liddyfile36.php

Thanks Ed, needed that.

Have never experienced a howling down on the www. I am wiser for having witnessed the experience.

My sincere sympathy to mrs red feather. I thought that your words were reasonable and the responses (read attacks maybe) are unwarranted and reactive rather than proactive.

I am sure that SPL did not mean for his post to become what it is. Be proud SPL. Your country has achieved much and like mine it will continue to grow and be a useful force in the world.

One battle that your quote missed is important to me down here. The battle of Hamel in 1918 was a 93 minute success without the slaughter of the previous four years. It was the first battle in France created and executed by Australians only. My Grandfather won a military medal and lost his best mate. He never spoke to me of the fight because of that I suppose. It was also the first battle that involved US troops to any significant degree I believe. Although Pershing tried to have your troops withdrawn they were keen and we needed some help (our casualties had been heavy throughout 1916 and 1917 and Austrailains had been instumental in stopping the German advance of 1918). Consequently the doughboys and diggers went to battle together and our soldiers wrote favourably of the performance of yours. They got on well. They were glowing in praise on both sides. The only need mentioned was the US lack of experience and the Australian habit of taking all valuables and souveneers from POW.

Something similar happened in New Guinea in WW2. However there the relationship deteriorated until at the conclusion of hostilities Australian units passing US units in ships at harbours exchanged words like your women were great to which the Australians responded with a few shots and grenades (They had not been disarmed at wars end). How could the years have changed things? Partly it was McArthur. A general who was uniformaly despised by Australian troops for his untrue press releases that ignored their efforts and claimed them as American in many cases. Partly it was the battle of Brisbane. A riot that lasted three days between US and Australian forces in Brisbane. What a stark contrast to my Grandfathers experience.

I suspect that the difference was in rhetoric and an unsubtle propoganda machine that soured relations between countries while bolstering morale within countries. Words do that.

PS Dave J - California has had a few bushfires recently. Australia sent firefighters. We have done so before. It is something we are good at and can return some of the favours. That is also partly why there is a coalition in Iraq. We dont have a whole lot more to offer. I never new the Mississipi flouded. Word never got here. Sorry - we do our best.

and a Merry Christmas to our Australian friends, the best friends a country could have....hip hip Hooray.

I just can't believe that my Grandpa and Great Uncle Glenn would riot and say disparaging remarks about the Australian ladies......well, yes I could!!!

Dear Ozemu, Sorry about missing the help Australia sent to California to quell the fires. I wasn't aware. We just get the bad news, generally, and I guess that information just slipped thru the cracks. Or perhaps theres just so much bad news daily, I've turned a blind eye to what's really happening having gone into overload.. In addition I can only report my limited knowledge of Australia is via the movies: Quigly Down Under, Pappillion, Crocodile Dundee, and A Far off Place.

Hopefully, more of my country men/women are far better informed! Thanks for the tip, Dave J!

I find it highly ironic and offensive that people from other nations feel its appropriate to lecture American citizens about the potential abuses of power; when in fact, over the last 200 years, America at great cost to itself, has consistently defended peoples all over the world from power hungry depots and flooded other nations with aid. Given the facts, as opposed to liberal revisionism, American does have reason to feel proud. Those who chose to criticize us will sing a different tune if/when their country incurs a time of need. Until then, they can afford to intellectualize and trivialize our deeds. God Bless America!

Senior_Patrol_Leader_T15, I liked the post - but I agree with Hunt on one point - I only worship God. Until the entire world recognizes and embraces democratic principles, continue to take pride in your country and dont trade your allegiance to her for some feel good hype about a world community. Our planet has been around for thousands of years and the world community has yet to bring about peace and harmony. The United States has not acted alone and it does warm my heart to know that there are quite a few freedom-loving nations that will stand beside her. But make no mistake about it; America has led the way for the last two hundred years. If that offends, so be it. We didn't get to be the country we are today by taking a poll of world opinion or waiting for other countries to embrace our ideas about freedom and democracy.

(This message has been edited by Rooster7)

Dave I wasnt trying to say that we have done a great deal. Just that we try. Pls remember that my entire country numbers about the same as New Yorks population (and we have three tiers of government!) Our contribution is small but hopefully useful. We tend to focus mainly on our near neighbours which number amongst the poorest countries in the world - lots of our aid in the pacific and SE Asia.

Hi Rooster. Sorry to have offended you. The way you chose to interpret is up to you. I was not trying to lecture. I thought it was an open forum and that I might offer a useful and interesting slant. As I wrote to SPL you should be proud; there is nothing wrong with and much to commend pride in your country.

Its just that there are a whole bunch of battles that the USA did not attend. To discount them is to discount the cost bourne by those of us who were there. No country can claim that dubious distinction. and I would prefer that Australians had not been at the Somme, Passchendale, Bullecourt, Fromelles or Singapore. Thofirst four battles gave us the 63% casualty rate for WW1. The highest in the world. Fortunately for Americans your country had not committed itself to the wars at those times. The UK was leading then. That is another story.

Davej! here and thank you for the kind, honest response. I wasn't entirely right when I used just the movies to describe my entire knowledge of y'all Down Under. Your latest, describing all those battles, brought to mine Australia's greatest battle: personal possession of firearms! We here are very aware of what happend there. Have you been keeping up with Canada and their attempts to disarm their honest citizens? Its turned into a financial monster and turning most of the prior honest citizen population into felons for non-compliance in turning in their home defensive firearms. I can only guess there is no shooting sport program for your Scouts anywhere, there. In Scouting, Dave J!

I'm as proud to be a citizen of the United States as anyone else. My family's blood has been shed in only two wars that I know of: The French and Indian War and the Revolutionary War.

But that's not why I'm posting.

I want to go on the record as saying that I'm proud of and admire our Australian friends. I've only had the honor of spending time with 1 or 2 Aussies, but I found in them the same strong spirit that makes the US of A a great place and a strong country. I also feel that, historically, they've been by our side when we need them the most. I think they are a strong, honorable people born of England and cast off . . . very much like we were.

Ozemu -- my Great Uncle's plane went down in New Guinea in WWII and he is presumed dead. Send out a feeler, would ya? If there's an old man wandering around in the jungles there, ask him if he's Staff Sgt. Elmer Beck. If so, send him home to me and I'll take care of him.

DS

Heck DS that is an ask. Would love to help. Have been to PNG twice on battlefield tours. Shaggy Ridge both times. Was an army adventure training exercise.

Aust Army had a group based in Darwin in WW2 who set about finding downed airmen. Oddly they operated with US forces and made 300 or so rescue missions in the Pacific islands. They did not work with Aust Army (who knows why) and PNG was Aust Army mostly. Had they been available they would have been looking for your relative. Still turning up planes in those jungles.

I did my survival training with a training unit based at same place as WW2 unit and following same sort of methods.

Thanks for the sentiment, Ozemu. We've been hoping for Uncle Elmer's return for years, but know he's gone. Well, we're at least mostly sure he's gone, but we'll never know.

I know Uncle Elmer sounds made up, but he's not.

I did run across a man in Florida several years ago who knew him during those WWII years. That man, however, didn't know anything about his final disposition and is now deceased himself.

Some mysteries will never be solved.

DS