Thought Experiment: Atheists are openly allowed.

Why, because you're under the impression that they actually follow Baden-Powell's original program and principles?

Because I did not know what their current standing on this issue was and I was curious. I then looked it up and found out. No impressions were had beforehand, I assure you.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You can't. It is the position of the BSA that belief in a higher power is part and parcel with being the kind of man we aim to produce. To admit atheists, we must change that belief, or resign ourselv

From: "A Scout is reverent. A Scout is reverent toward God. He is faithful in his religious duties. He respects the beliefs of others."   To: "A Scout is reverent. A Scout is reverent toward God

Because I did not know what their current standing on this issue was and I was curious. I then looked it up and found out. No impressions were had beforehand' date=' I assure you.[/quote']

My apologies duckfoot, I thought that you were putting forth the British Scout Association to show what Baden-Powell might have done. I see now that mention of Baden-Powell simply made you think of the British scouts.

Oh well, I guess I am saying a different promise.....

I hope we can all agree that YOUR duty to God may not be the same as MINE. If we have multiple faiths, and multiple interpretations of those faiths, "duty to God" has to be NOT a single, definitive thing. I would never expect my Muslim Scout to do the same thing the LDS Scout does, either in ritual or moral expectation. Wear a hat? Bend a knee? Eat a BLT? Share a beer? Drink coffee? Have my group worship on the sixth day of the week? The seventh? The first? Say, where do we start counting weekdays, anyway? I have a calendar from Spain, and both Saturday and Sunday are on the RIGHT end of the page.

What's to prevent our athiest/agnostic Scout from promising to do HIS duty to God and determine that duty is to do NOTHING? What's to prevent us from accepting that? If he is otherwise demonstrably following the Scout Law and Promise, where is the problem? Take that paragraph off the back of the Adult Volunteer Application and we're in business.

Why, because you're under the impression that they actually follow Baden-Powell's original program and principles? Because they don't. Look how they have changed the Law:

http://members.scouts.org.uk/supportresources/2943/scout-promise-law-an

I see several of Baden-Powell's original (1911) articles (useful/serving others, friend to animals, obedient, clean) missing here, along with a general dumbing down.

I'm curious, what do you see as dumbed down about it?

I'm curious' date=' what do you see as dumbed down about it?[/quote']

"A Scout is to be trusted" vs "A Scout's honour is to be trusted"

"Friendly" vs "friend to all and a brother (or sister) to every other Scout, etc." and "friend to animals"

"Considerate" vs "courteous"

JMHO