Typically, the presenter will explain that it cost the council X dollars per scout for a year of scouting.

If you can pay that amount the council will give you a gift, such as a special Council Shoulder patch, or some such thing.

We were never forced to donate to FOS, and if you wanted to donate, you could donate what you felt comfortable with.

Our unit is given a goal, based on our size and location. Some years we hit the goal, others years not so much.

In the Cascade Pacific Council (Portland, OR area) It is $175. It was $150 a couple of years ago. This Council also covers remote areas of Oregon. They would like $175, but will take anything. They will even take a FOS Pledge card of $0 with it filled out. They are looking for the $$, but also the participation.

Our council tells us the cost for one scout is $260. The will accept any donation and are happy to have it. I was corralled to do a few presentations this year and it is decidedly not a high pressure pitch. You do get a special FOS council patch if yoou donate the asked for donation though.

My pack & Troop parents are getting tired of BSA asking for money all the time. Popcorn sales, Friends of Scouting and then campcards. BSA needs to modify their priorities or something unless BSA means Buy Sell Ask.

The Friends of Scouting presentation they wanted me to pitch is the same the minimum recommended donation is $150. They even pre-printed pledge cards for everyone in my pack. At our most recent roundtable we had a council person pass out pledge cards and wait for us to fill them out. The hard sell is really uncool. I just don't see convincing my pack families to cut yet another check after the dues increase, popcorn sales, camp card sales and the other fund raisers they slip in on us.

Question. what if a unit just passes on Popcorn, Camp cards and FOS?

My pack & Troop parents are getting tired of BSA asking for money all the time. Popcorn sales, Friends of Scouting and then campcards. BSA needs to modify their priorities or something unless BSA means Buy Sell Ask.

The Friends of Scouting presentation they wanted me to pitch is the same the minimum recommended donation is $150. They even pre-printed pledge cards for everyone in my pack. At our most recent roundtable we had a council person pass out pledge cards and wait for us to fill them out. The hard sell is really uncool. I just don't see convincing my pack families to cut yet another check after the dues increase, popcorn sales, camp card sales and the other fund raisers they slip in on us.

Question. what if a unit just passes on Popcorn, Camp cards and FOS?

I've never understood the griping about Boy Scout fees. When I marched in the High School band for 3 years, it was $500 dollars a season. My sister and I marched a combined 5 seasons at a tag of $2500 total. My sister and he band took a trip to Hawaii that was extremely expensive before I joined, and I took at Trip to Disney world with the band that cost 1200 dollars. So overall my parents and I spent $2700 for me to spend 3 years in Marching Band. Marching band seasons only went from July-November. They spent at least $1,000 dollars for 2 years for my older Sister. Was it worth it? Yes. Absolutely.

Scouting isn't really that expensive of an activity in comparison to many other youth activities that parents don't even hesitate to drop the $$$ for.

http://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2013/09/03/bsa-membership-fee-increased-to-24-what-does-your-24-get-you/

"Minimum recommended donation" Just give what you are comfortable giving, and can financially do without. If that's only 10-20 dollars like it is for me then that's all ya'll can give. If you cannot afford to give at all, then you can't afford to give it all, and shouldn't feel guilty about not donating to FOS.

exnicios,

You can always do what I have done with my DE when he asks to do an FOS talk, I tell him if he wants to ask for a certain dollar figure what additional services or benefits will the units receive from the council for the additional cash. Last year he asked the parents to consider doubling their contribution and after getting grilled with questions from the parents about what new things the council was going to offer he ended quickly and ducked out of there like a rabbit. Funny he hasn't asked about FOS since.

• Downvote 1

I can say that my experience with the cost of participation in BSA is similar to that of your marching band example. Our troop charges $35 per scout and scouter per year registration - so far so good. But we have two boys and myself (ASM) that is $105. Plus popcorn $150, plus wreath sale $60 plus trips. We camp 10x per year, and if my boys go on a total of 14 of them (average year is 7 each) plus me on 6 of them that is 20 trips at $12 per for food, or $240, plus two summer camps at $350 each. So far, $1235. Now, I tow the troop trailer on almost all the trips I go on, at an average cost in gas and tolls of $150 per trip x 6 is $2155 per year. Which is cheap for the total amount of hours and entertainment and the comraderie, but it sure is not cheap for the families on a lower middle class income. My involvement so far in scouts as a parent has cost me about $15,000 all together over 12 years for 3 sons. I have given to FOS over the years, but cannot count it up. usually only $50 per year or so. Is it worth it? hope so.

By the way, Sentinel - that article you referenced was so misleading as to be criminal. $24 ? that's a joke.
That's the fee increase from National. That's what I cited it for.

It's comparison of youth groups was extremely disingenuous. I put the link because an above poster asked what the increase goes towards.

I can say that my experience with the cost of participation in BSA is similar to that of your marching band example. Our troop charges $35 per scout and scouter per year registration - so far so good. But we have two boys and myself (ASM) that is $105. Plus popcorn $150, plus wreath sale $60 plus trips. We camp 10x per year, and if my boys go on a total of 14 of them (average year is 7 each) plus me on 6 of them that is 20 trips at $12 per for food, or $240, plus two summer camps at $350 each. So far, $1235. Now, I tow the troop trailer on almost all the trips I go on, at an average cost in gas and tolls of $150 per trip x 6 is $2155 per year. Which is cheap for the total amount of hours and entertainment and the comraderie, but it sure is not cheap for the families on a lower middle class income. My involvement so far in scouts as a parent has cost me about $15,000 all together over 12 years for 3 sons. I have given to FOS over the years, but cannot count it up. usually only $50 per year or so. Is it worth it? hope so.
Your family spends a bit over 179 dollars a month for Scouting. For 3 people. My family spent 166$ dollars a month for three months of band for one child.

Check my math.

2155/12 months=$179 3 people

Vs 500/3 months=$166 1 person

You spend far more than my family spent on band, but band wasn't a year round thing. It ran August-through October.

Overall I think Scouting is a good value. Could the prices come down? Yes. Can National and Council finances be more transparent? Absolutely.

Thanks for providing those numbers Codger. Helped make the comparison easier since I didn't pay my Scouting bills till I was in High School and was already bout 4 years in.

I understand you can donate whatever dollar amount you want, but having the preprinted pledge cards with the $ 150.00 being the lowest pledge turned me off, also having the presenter standing there waiting to pick up the cards seemed low class. Everything with scouting seems like it going up including re-chartering. Many of the parents in my Troop haven't had raises in years.

I don't even want to think about adding up Scouting costs...

Let me begin by saying the BSA is irrevocably broken from a admin professional stand point.

So exactly what am I paying for????? The only thing I am not required to do for my unit is enter new applications.

So explain to me why we are paying $1.3 million dollars in salaries to Staff in my council.

Do nothing DE's, who don't provide the services that the FOS presenter say they do......No boy talks, no flyers, no uniforms and books for those in need, no improvements to the camps......

No you won't be receiving any money from me for friends of scouting. It is purely about Fund Our Salary.......

not about the boys.

• Downvote 1

It is true that you. seem to only see the DE at FOS time and the rest of the year good luck finding him. Same thing can be said for so called council services, they sold our camp so no summer programs. What good are they anyway.