Tiger Cub Camp

Is this an over night or a day trip? There should be a schedule of what's happening. We do a Tiger Prowl at the beginning of the year to get new Tigers an idea of what to expect. I would guess this is more advanced since you've been in for a year now.

it is a weekend type camp. check in Friday night. programs Saturday including BB gun and Archery ranges. Saturday night they have a "graduation" of sorts from tiger cub to wolf for all the tigers across the council, or those that attend at least. Saturday night they roast marshmallows over the fire, and then sunday we go home.

http://www.nlcbsa.org/files/d/usr/3/Tiger%20Cub%20Camp%202014.pdf

Interesting.

We don't do council/district Tiger overnights - other than our weekend Summer Camps. Those include newly minted Tigers (just graduated kindergarteners), along with other Cubs.

It looks like they will be sorting you into cabins based on your Pack, but not requiring you to register as a group? Is someone in your Pack organizing the families? Or are you going solo?

Have fun!

Sounds like fun. I'd bring extra snacks/drinks. Don't rush it, enjoy the time at camp with your son. You will be doing this at least once a year. Check to see if they will be doing skits at Saturday fire you can get a few skits ready for your scouts to do. Bring sports equipment for the free times.

Interesting.

We don't do council/district Tiger overnights - other than our weekend Summer Camps. Those include newly minted Tigers (just graduated kindergarteners), along with other Cubs.

It looks like they will be sorting you into cabins based on your Pack, but not requiring you to register as a group? Is someone in your Pack organizing the families? Or are you going solo?

Have fun!

I have not heard back from any of our other tiger cub parents about going. so as of right now, me and the boy will be going solo.

I received an email from one of the parents overnight asking questions. This happens to be one of my sons best friends in our tiger group. I have hopes that they will join us too.

Most likely I will get all the info together, and will make the arrangements on behalf of our pack. (i.e. 2 scouts/parents)

I think many Councils who have local campgrounds or nearby parks sponsor "Son and One" or "Dad and Lad" or "Parent Cub" overnight camp outs. It is a fun, good thing. The trick is making it a "sleepover" in a tent. Yeah, pillows, Teddys, nite lights, (from outside the tent?), knowing Gdad or mom is close by. Dress warm, bring extra socks and shoes (they get wet, even when there is no rain!) and a frisbee or two. Sing the old camp songs (don't be afraid of acting silly, dad, have fun), have skits, play cards. .

Make it fun and make it possible for folks to want to do it NEXT year!

Don't forget the Cub Mantra (repeat after me) "KISMIF, KISMIF , KISMIF"

• 1 month later...

Hiking and playing in the drainage creek is a favorite with the cubs around here especially at night. Might be a good time to introduce wool socks. If you are a novice camper here are a few basic tips. Get some cheap LED headlamps. Lotion type bug spray if needed, my council bans the spray. You will likely overpack. Try a and keep most of your extra " just in case" clothes, supplies in a separate duffle in your car. Lugging 800 lbs to the campsite puts a damper on the fun from the git go.

• Upvote 1

Be prepared for fun. Take your camera. We did Parent & Cub camp with our boys when they first started out & they were totally hooked on going to camp after that. Find out if there is fishing too & if so grab a box of worms (those can be tough to locate at camps). In all the years of Cub Residence camping I've done with other leaders we have learned a few tricks to make it easier. The most helpful one we used was to stop at Walmart and buy 2-4 solar stake lights - fill 2 empty water or soda bottles with dirt or sand and stick the lights in them. Put at the front corners of your tent - that way if there are any Cubs that get up in the middle of the night & get lost on the way back from the latrine, upset stomachs(happens) or scared...they know where the leaders are at 2-3am and don't wake up all the campers...plus it helps the camp staff know which tents are leader tents if there is an emergency in the middle of the night. Also consider a small hard sided cooler (the kind the handle doubles as lock) for granola bars. Critters have a tougher time with those & a this can double as a nite stand for your phone or glasses too (the little things make is go smooth) unless you are in bear country - then skip snacks in your tenting area all together.