How many birthdays are you willing to admit?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I usually respond to the age question with a line from "Hill Street Blues" , a "40 something white guy, just tryin' to get by". I'm actually 48. I'll have to change that line soon.

Now that some of the ages have been posted, I'll admit I'm impressed with some of the wisdom posted by some of the younger folks that participate.

SA

I will give my date of birth, but it will require some work to convert it as this hasn't been the standard form for giving dates in quite a few centuries.

DIES MARTIS A.D. XVIII KAL. OCT. MMDCCXXXVI A.U.C.

That should leave most of the members of the forum in the dark.

Now for a date that is of equal importance for Scouting purposes for me:

My Eagle Board of Review: (in a more modern system than above)

Dies Iovis xxxi Januarius MMII

For anyone who happens to be an expert in the Classics, keep the translations to yourself. Hopefully those are converted correctly. I am trusting my references and memory to be correct.

Oh, and for those that really must have things in Arabic numberals (ack! no! spare me from the anti-Arabic numeral axe! [my most sincere apologies, that was a high school Latin class related inside joke]):

20(This message has been edited by Proud Eagle)

OldGreyEagle,

My SM likes a simpler version of that same saying. He just goes with, "Semper ubi sub ubi." Apparently it was the actually his patrol moto for a while way back when. That is one of those perks of having a college English teacher as an SM. That and many whitty jokes, comments, come backs and the like. Few of the boys can ever match wits with him because of his excellent command of language.

I was never a great student of Latin. I remember some bits and pieces of it and how to look up most of what I don't remember. I think I would be in deep trouble if I had to translate something of any complexity at this point.