Troop is not very fun

Qwazse Thank you for your comments

ParkMan: I agree with you point however, if you look back and my earlier posts. I was seeking advise on how to find a program more suitable to my daughters desires and allow me to participate without feeling completely out of place. This year I got behind all of the activities cheerfully and with enthusiasm even when I didn't agree with the activity. Of course my gender prevents me attending overnight event which is fine by me. and I wouldn't allow my daughter to camp out in a mall. I became an official GSUSA volunteer and took several GSUSA training classes. I solicited donations to make up for finical shortcomings and wrote a check to cover activity costs.

I have a good report from most of the girls and have heard many of the girls tell me that they don't like the program as it currently is. My daughter has told the other girls what we do when we camp. That is when I put the camp together with the leaders endorsement. I tried to put together a camp with activities that all would enjoy and a minimal cost so that all could attend. It wasn't until the parents heard that they would need to participate that any issues began. qwaze hit the nail on the head it is demographics, If I were in a small town or in the midwest I probably wouldn't be having this conversation. I'm a native Los Angelino but I have had the benefit of living in several towns and yes there is a difference. Many parents view GS as a inexpensive baby sitting service which breaks my heart to see especially when there is a weekend activity you can see the hurt in there eyes as the parents seldom if ever let them join. So now I'm torn do I pull out and find another troop or other kind of group, or do I stay and try to encourage a program that the girls will enjoy.

For the record the girls are not consulted about the activities that the troop does.

As far as me becoming a leader: I'm not willing to take the risk. I will be happy to co-lead if anybody would be willing to step up and lead.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

BSA and GSUSA have DIFFERENT RULES AND REGULATIONS. - They are DIFFERENT PROGRAMS!   Sorry, the expectation of mirror programs just irritates the heck out of me!   Camping in kindergarten - AS W

My daughter has no interest in Girl Scouts around here because in her words, "Dad, they don't do anything outdoors like the Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts." Yes, they are two very different programs. Qui

If you feel that selling cookies is exploitation, have you offered to open your pocketbook, and fund an entire year of Girl Scouting for your daughter's Troop?   No?   Scouting costs money. It h

Hey Smmortgat - Yes - sorry if I went a bit off the path from your earlier comments. I definitly remember you started this looking for a new troop.

I think we're on pretty much the same page - you basically have a choice - stay & see if you can "fix it" or go find a new troop. I won't try to convince you to stay - sometimes it's better just to find a new home with folks who may be thinking similar things.

Sorry if you've already mentioned this... Have you had a one-on-one coffee with the primary leader. Maybe she has similar goals to yours, but isn't sure where to start. Or maybe she's overwhelmed and would welcome some help. If she just really likes what they do now, then that's a sign that affecting change will be difficult.

Hey Smmortgat - Yes - sorry if I went a bit off the path from your earlier comments. I definitly remember you started this looking for a new troop.

I think we're on pretty much the same page - you basically have a choice - stay & see if you can "fix it" or go find a new troop. I won't try to convince you to stay - sometimes it's better just to find a new home with folks who may be thinking similar things.

Sorry if you've already mentioned this... Have you had a one-on-one coffee with the primary leader. Maybe she has similar goals to yours, but isn't sure where to start. Or maybe she's overwhelmed and would welcome some help. If she just really likes what they do now, then that's a sign that affecting change will be difficult.

I like my leader she is new but is good with the girls. She is a true girly girl. and of course I am a polar opposite but I do play along. My only criticism about here is that she a total by the book leader and is strongly influenced by several mothers in the group that don't believe I should be there . She has never been disrespectful to me directly however I do know that she as said and done things behind my back even though she had asked me to put together some activity. I did confront her with that and it does seem to have stopped. She knows that I am one of the few parents that she can count on to help wherever possible. She too is frustrated with the lack of support from the parents but she seems to be afraid to get firm with them.
  • 7 months later...

I know it was last school year since you posted and I hope all has worked out. Your post is NOT how Girl Scouts is everywhere, Not how I experience it and not how I am going to have it be for my girl.

I was a Girl Scout Brownies all the way through college and now have taken on as leader for my Brownie in MD. My mother took over as a troop leader for me because my troop was failing, although we girls didn't know it, we were just having fun. My mother was a girly-girl, and all about the crafts. Her first parent meeting she had and told the parents up front this is who she is and if they want the troop to do out-of-doors she would support it. I was lucky enough to have a family in the troop who stepped up and who were park rangers and army out-of-doors people. Some of my best Girl Scout experiences were with them. The combination of indoor work with my mom along with my amazing out-of-door experiences made me who I am today. I have a troop that wants it all with only a couple of parents stepping up. I wish I had you in my troop! I would suggest trying to just have them agree to a couple of events that you can set up. If you have tried and it hasn't worked I would talk with the council (oversees the troops) and see if they have a better troop fit and she can always do any council event on her own (or if there are two or a few of them interested just they could do the event). Also she could be a Juliette (although that is a GS on her own and the group experience is what we like so much). The Girl Scout programs that they have now (I'm getting used to and becoming a fan) are pretty good for the young ones and as I see the upper levels as pretty amazing.

I worked an environmental education camp for six months and occasionally we would split the regular classes up by gender. It was amazing the difference I would experience with the girls speaking up more and stepping up more without their boy classmates there. Whether it was the girls not doing science as confidently or embarrassment or early puberty and wanted to impress. I do think there is a benefit to an all single gender experience in Girl Scouts. I hope it works out for you two.

At least they let you sign up.....Our GS council would not let a man run a troop....So my daughter tags along with the Pack and Troop....

We experience some pretty significant discrimination from the local girl scout units. Too young too old, wrong school, wrong neighborhood, just short of wrong color....

I do not like the AHG, there have been a few reports of them Bullying their way into events that were closed because it was at capacity by using that mutual support letter.......

I was in the same boat. I signed on to help my wife, the parents and kids loved it. The camp Rangers treated me like I was Richard Allen Davis. My daugter is now in a Crew and loves it.

Sounds like there is confusion about the differences between Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts!!

Lots of girls don't like to go camping and do outdoor activities. Girl Scouting is basically set up to be girl led at every age with age appropriate activities. Sometimes leaders forget that the "mall" is not the only age appropriate activity that the girls might want to do! So if the leaders are not suggesting other things, then the girls need to. As parents you should be encouraging your daughter to explore her world and make suggestions to her troop leaders. Boy Scouts do 90% outside activities, do they go to museums, or the theater or ice skating, roller skating? These are things that Girls Scouts do as well as outside activities. While boys are learning survivalist training, girls are learning to be more well rounded, it's just who we are by nature. So if you are a father and wondering why your daughter's troop is not as enthusiastic about outdoor activities, maybe you need to fill the void and help the girls become excited about it or start a troop that only does outdoor activities! That's my sound off for the day!!

• 6 months later...

I have not been around GS much. My sster was one back in the 70's and I have known girls that are the age on my son that have been involved. In my limited observation they lack the structure that the CO gives. It seem like anyone can start a unit, it is usually a parent of a group of friends who are the same age. That unit doesn't really seem to get bigger by adding younger scouts. It seems to have the issues that sometimes comes with the self charted packs and troops they never grow.

As far a the girl scout program it appears that they have the opportunities to do the hiking and camping and such. But it is really if the unit takes advantage of it. Sure they do crafts but so do cub scouts. If you look at the age appropriate items for cubs vs the girls the same age It seems like the girls can actually do more within the rules.