Merlyn; did you ever apologize to the SA?

http://www.myreader.co.uk/message/1486544.aspx

This saga is from back in 2005. Looks like we are not the only recipients of this nonsense.

If you do a bit of Googling, you can find numerous similar things in bits and pieces. And very often, our buddy starts calling people liars. Oh well, guess everyone needs a hobby. Just kind of sad that this one is so negative.

Merlyn, are you claiming that isn't you in the attached link?

There are atheist members of the SA, just as I'm sure there are atheists in the BSA. They were prepared to say the oath/promise and just get on with it.

Guest OldGreyEagle

I guess this is why I get paid the big bucks. If I agree with Merlyn and close this thread, then I get accused of taking Merlyn's side and being accused of censorship and violations of free speech and all related things.

if I don't take close the thread then the implication is that its ok to have a thread that specifically calls out an individual and I don't see that as scoutlike. Upon this I will have to ponder, PM me with your thoughts, I see this as a lose lose situation

That's me all right Chug; there ARE atheist members of SA, but they officially exclude atheists as leaders (youth members are OK). This started when newspapers reported that atheists could join SA, and later an official SA representative told a group (I think it was the British Humanist Association) that atheists could NOT be leaders.

You'll notice that I'm arguing with people who claim that atheists are permitted as adult leaders, when the SA has stated that they cannot be leaders, and the SA website says they cannot be leaders (hint: look for their ironically-named policy of nondiscrimination).

Sure, people can lie and get in. That doesn't change the official policy. Just looking in http://www.escouts.org.uk, there's a thread from 2008 on "Should Athiests Be Allowed to Be Leaders?" [sic], so it still appears to be in effect. Notice my conversation is from four years ago, so it looks like either I was right, or the SA is terrible at getting their new admission standards out to the public.(This message has been edited by Merlyn_LeRoy)

Personally, I think it's incredibly poor taste to bring in stuff written in other settings and using it to attack people.

Not to mention the whole googling people, borders on stalking.

Yes, skeptic, everyone needs a hobby. Maybe you should find one that doesn't involve an unhealthy obsession with Merlyn.

Or even better, why don't you give us *your* real name so someone who cares can google you?