CAMPAIGN TO IGNORE THIS USER: FOG

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I am relatively new to these discussions, but....

I cannot believe the absolutely un-AMERICAN attitude of many of the writers to this thread. I have disagreed with many of FOG's statements but defend his right to say them. I have much more respect for Bob White's comments because I tend to agree with him more. I find myself shaking my head at FOG but that's what makes the world an interesting place. Gee, I wish you all were just like me. Everything would be just perfect then.

• 2 months later...

When I finally got up the courage to post something about the name calling here, many members called me unAmerican, said they were ignoring me and "turning this against me" (Hops, that hurt). I, like others, really was looking for solutions to real life problems in our troop and did not want to wade through the sewage to get answers. But, hey, I don't need to be insulted by strangers on the internet. I can get that at work or from the cashier at McDonald's. So I pretty much faded back into lurker status.

Congratulations. Now Scouter.com is R rated - you have posters quoting Sir Mix-a-Lot! (I could just throw up. Can't that post be erased?) You have Senior members leaving because of the hate speech that has been allowed to pass in decent company as free speech. And amusingly, people are now using the "IGNORE THIS USER" function to shut down posts that makes FOG sound like a Mary Tyler Moore.

Maybe a spanking was not such a bad idea. (This message has been edited by a staff member.)

Guest OldGreyEagle

OOps, MrsSmith, I ended up editing your post, actually I didnt change anything, but I did erase baby got back from that thread. I forgot it was there. We are trying to elevate the status of the forum

Dear Hops:

That's interesting. I'm sorry that you perceived my last post as a "personal attack" on you. I do think "I wont tolerate it" (sic) is an ironic choice of words given the subject. But you're the boss now.

OGE:

Thanks. Maybe I can once again recommend this website to our Scouts for resources.

I never called anyone Un-American. I called the attitude un-American.

Compare the posts of FOG to some recent posts by others un-named. FOG's posts are sarcastic and cynical. The posts of the other who shall not be named (owsnbn) were bizarre and outrageous. Note, I have not called anyone anything. I am just telling you my opinion of the posts.

If anyone noticed, I asked FOG directly about this on another thread because I wasn't sure of the point that he was trying to make. (It involved sarcasm and, in my opinion, was cynical). He clarified it quite nicely with a direct response to my question.

I, unfortunately, did respond to owsnbn at one point by calling him an idiot. I also apologized for that on a later post. I was criticised for brown nosing by owsnbn for the apology. I was also criticised by others for letting all know that I would ignore him for his outrageous and un-scoutlike opinion. Too much like bragging, I guess.

Boleta, I accept your er..uh.. apology. I suppose I am being a little "I told you so"-esqe. I agree that FOG seems more like a Tribble than the BORG when compared with JasonOK. (Although, I don't know if the late Bob White would agree.) But as we have all seen, a slippery slope is a dangerous place. And the Tribbles did threaten the ship, slowly but surely.

I am confused though. Are you saying that squelching FOG in particular was an unAmerican attitude? Or ignoring someone whose conduct was absolutely unacceptable? Or trying to persuade others to join, i.e., making a campaign out of it? Or option "other".