Why was I asked to leave my Scout Troop 224 in Lodi, CA in 1985?

Please if anyone can help me, I was asked to leave my Boy Scout Troop 224 in Lodi, Ca in 1985 my Scoutmaster Hank Henry. I was the highest ranked scout in the small troop, A Second Class, and I suggested we form patrols, but when we did, they voted and decided a younger, Tenderfoot scout, one who'd previously brought beer on a hike and was caught, shoudl be the Patrol leader, not I. I was very confused and embarrassed to be so hated, just because I always wore the proper uniform, always stood at attention and never fooled around like Dennis, and I didn't like getting wet or playing the stupid games during camp, and I got mad and cried when some kid kept flicking my ear and another time when the same kid fell on my first, only, and brand new tent and broke a pole. Instead of kicking those kids out they kicked me. Said I didn't fit in, should go somewhere else. We only went on one backpacking trip in 3 years. I never complained, even when my feet became so swollen from hiking in wet shoes. What kind of person would kick a traumatized kid out of Scouts? I want an explanation from Mr. Henry, but I can't find him. I would've been an Eagle Scout. I was the best Scout in the troop but they asked me to leave. What is that? (This message has been edited by a staff member.)

Karl_,

Welcome!

Most people will probably just ignore you, and perhaps, I should, as well. This electronic campfire is a truly important tool for people interested in Scouting. You don't have to be a Scout, but most of us here are pretty serious about our efforts to help boys grow up in an increasingly complicated world. They're not just Scout Leaders, but most are Mothers and Fathers doing their best for their children. If you have something worthwhile to bring to the table, these people will take you seriously. If you're just here to entertain yourself, you probably won't get much farther than me.

Good Luck, wherever you go.

jd

Hopefully time has healed your pain a bit.

I'm curious if you had looked to see if there was another troop in the area that you could have moved to. I'm sure they would have been more than happy to have an excited experienced boy join their troop.

Please don't let one painful experience sour you on Scouting. It is a wonderful program that means a lot to bazillions of parents and boys. There are a lot of great adult and youth leaders in Scouting that live the Scout Law every day.

It unfortunately sounds like the apple you pulled out of the apple was a bit rotten. Even rotten apples can grow impressive apple trees though ... it just takes time.

Karl, I would answer your question in the title of the forum if I could. However, I don't have a clue why you were asked to leave your troop, or even if you were.

I do have a math question of my own for you. I'm not trying to be rude, but trying to figure this out:

If you were asked to leave your troop in 1985, that is twenty years ago. You don't mention being a Cub Scout who earned the Arrow of Light, so I'll assume you joined the troop when you were at least 11 years old.

That would put you somewhere near the age of 31. Even if you were asked to leave a troop 20 years ago and are now well past the age where you could start your own troop, which I assume you are and could do . . . what are we to do about what happened in 1985? How are we (forum members like yourself now) to know what happened there and then?

Unc.

I was hoping someone could give me some isight as to why an emotionally disturbed youth might be asked to leave his Scout Troop. Whether that's a common thing, or if there's something wrong with that, or if there's some official policy regarding mentally ill scouts? Is Scouting more of a social group where the popular people are Patrol Leaders and rules are enforced willy nilly or a group of outdoor adventurers teaching kids to enjoy, respect and survive?

I'm writing today, yes 32 years old, because my son will soon be of Scouting age and I have to decide whether I'm going to encourage him to join or discourage him from anything to do with Scouting. Just today I recieved a copy of my old Boy Socut Handbook from 1979, same as the one I had in Scouts. There's some mention of games, but nothing about Boy Scout Camp having an elaborate sporting-type contests at the end of every session.

I just want to know what Scouting is all about, since my version was sad, sad, and bad. Though I loved camping and adventure before Scouts and still loved it after and continue today. My son has been on dozens of backpacking trips since he was an infant, knows plenty, and I wonder if he even needs Scouting?

Karl, welcome to the forums. As we like to say, grab a cuppa coffee and pull up a log. The reality is, 99.9% of volunteer scout leaders are not trained mental health professionals and are ill equipped to handle special needs scouts. Sometimes the only way a scout can be accomodated in a regular unit is if the parent attends full time to assist. You don't mention how much support your former SM got from your parents. But to expect him to "handle it" and know what to do is probably unfair. In our council, we now have a District Executive whose job it is to see to the unique needs of special needs units. That probably doesn't exist in smaller Councils, especially 20 years ago. Today, while we are more enlightened, and don't automatically chalk it up to "bad behavior" needing discipline or expulsion, we are still just parents who want the best for the boys in the unit. After all, if I haven't said it before, we are "volunteers" and our free time is important to us too. If your son has special needs, I would contact your Council office and discuss them and see what your council has to offer. Scouting has changed a little in the past 20 years...give it another chance. Every unit is different because they are all just groups of unique human beings with their own strengths and weaknesses. And forgive Dennis and your former SM...I'm sure he was doing the best he knew how. I recently had a 30 year high school reunion...those are not the same people I went to school with.

BSA Summer Camp programs are also unique. Just because one has game competitions doesn't mean they all do. If that's not your cup of tea, there are lots of other camps to choose from.

Karl,

It is impossible to fix your past but there are some things to understand about Scouting today. People in Scouting are both good and bad. Some know about Scouting and some don't. Read the new handbook and find out what Scouting should be today. Visit a unit and ask questions about their yearly program. Make an informed decision based on that information.

As far as finding the perfect Troop and protecting your son from hurt, that is also impossible. The best you can do is join the unit with your son as an Assistant SM or a Committee person and then make sure that you communicate with him and not wait on helping him during his experience.

Mental illness is misunderstood by many and the symptoms, if untreated, are frightening. Make sure that you are working with a professional that can assist you with the disability. In many instances, it is a lifelong problem and if not properly treated the symptoms will reoccur, as well as the behaviors and experiences.

Repairing your feelings about your past, may be found through forgiveness and understanding of those experiences. That may be done through your minister, your prayers, and your God. I wish you the best in your continued journey.

FB

Karl,

From my limited viewpoint, it seems your last question is the most important - does your son need scouting? That's an easy one for me - YES! :-)

The mission of the Boy Scouts of America is to prepare young people to make ethical choices over their lifetime by instilling in them the values of the Scout Oath and Law.

It is lots more than camping. It's lots more than games. It's lots more than a social clique. And, each step of the program from 1st grade to 18 years old builds on the previous step wonderfully. My goal as a Scoutmaster is to fulfill that mission through our troop for every scout involved in the program.

If your son is almost of Scouting age and you mean 1st grade Tiger Scouts, then it would be a great opportunity for you and him to join the program together since Tiger Dens rely on parent/son participation. As he grows through the cub scout program, your continued involvement can evolve as he progresses.

If you mean that he is 4th or 5th grade and did not do cub scouting, then starting right into Boy Scouts when he meets the joining requirements works too - we have 2 scouts in our troop doing that right now.

You didn't say anything about your son having special needs, but in Viking Council we have the Challenger District specially designed for special needs scouting. Info at http://www.scoutingbsa.org/Forms_and_Publications/Publications_PDF/Challenger/Challenger.062101.pdf

That does not mean we keyhole scouts into a different program, but it is available for those that prefer it. Your local Council may have similar opportunities if needed.

Scout On,

Paul

Karl,

I know two Scoutmasters that had terrible experiences as scouts back in the 1970s. One was 'kicked out' of his troop. Both got heavily involved in cub scouts when their own sons were of age, because they value what the scouting program is about, recognize the tremendous benefits that it offers, and wanted to ensure that their own sons had positive scouting experiences (unlike their own). Serving as den leaders and later scoutmasters, they bring positive energy and kindness to their role. They have both told me they have found some healing of their scouting experiences as youth through dedicated and positive leadership as adults. You can focus on the past and the pain, asking why. Or, you can move forward and make a difference in the lives of many boys.

The BSA is not beyond the ugliness of humanity. It should not be defined by the inappropriate actions of certain individuals. Research what the BSA offers to the youth of this nation, investigate units in your area, speak with some of the many dedicated scouters who have genuine concern for the boys in their units and spend countless hours making the scouting experience worthwhile for them, consider how your own son may benefit through such an association with positive leadership, and ask yourself if there may be an opportunity to heal your own wounds through giving of yourself to others by volunteering.

Welcome to this forum.(This message has been edited by SemperParatus)

My father was "kicked" out of a troop because he was the wrong religious faith of the rest of the Scouts. that was in the late '30's.

He encouraged his son, me, to join. He joined as well and even served as the District Commissioner long after I "quit" and joined the Navy.

Hope you will encourage your son to join, you too, make it better...