BSA Membership Policy Change Proposal

I don't recall the time I realized my sexual orientation but I do remember watching television with my four year old. The most censoring that I did with my son was during the news. I really didn't want him to see explicit "real" violence. One day, they were starting to show something about a bombing or something in Israel and I decided to turn the channel (I didn't have cable at the time). I came upon Entertainment Tonight or some such drivel and they showed some starlet in a bikini. I changed the channel about ten seconds later andall of sudden my son asked me to go back to Entertainment Tonight. His exact words to me were, "I like that but I don't know why."

Most respected psychologists believe that we are all on a sexual spectrum. No one is 100% heterosexual or 100% homosexual. Certain environments will influence our behavior - sexual and other. For example, usually in single sex environments (prisons, castaways, etc.) sexual activity does not cease.

I doubt they are respected by many people outside their own mutual admiration societies if they insist on talking oot thar arses like that.
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't recall the time I realized my sexual orientation but I do remember watching television with my four year old. The most censoring that I did with my son was during the news. I really didn't want him to see explicit "real" violence. One day, they were starting to show something about a bombing or something in Israel and I decided to turn the channel (I didn't have cable at the time). I came upon Entertainment Tonight or some such drivel and they showed some starlet in a bikini. I changed the channel about ten seconds later andall of sudden my son asked me to go back to Entertainment Tonight. His exact words to me were, "I like that but I don't know why."

Most respected psychologists believe that we are all on a sexual spectrum. No one is 100% heterosexual or 100% homosexual. Certain environments will influence our behavior - sexual and other. For example, usually in single sex environments (prisons, castaways, etc.) sexual activity does not cease.

I am not stating I always knew my sexual orientation to be funny or out of any fear of being thought of as gay. For me it is literally true. When gay people tell me they always knew it makes perfect sense to me. That is why I have always thought the right-wing view that people are choosing their orientation is ignorant.

But maybe there are people who do have trouble deciding and try out both lifestyles. If so no such person has ever told me that.

Cute mozart - But this I think is a new discussion, if beside soccer scouting and other non-scouting like ventures, BSA should wade into quake like psychological therapy.. I mean we all have our various opinions of psychologists, but I would no more want a shoe salesmen or bus driver (or whatever occupation your SM is in) doing psycho-therapy on my children, along with a whole gaggle of quack 12 to 18 yo's on my child.. Guarenteed to do more harm then good, and in 5 tp 10 years BSA can have another flock of lawsuits on their hands over it, as these kids mature and sues the pants off of them.

If LDS wants to go into quack psychology, don't do it under the BSA label, just do it under the LDS label, after all they direct their congregation with a tight leash, just have them drag that little homo boy into a faith service so the whole congregation can "gently" play doctor on him.. Leave BSA out of it.

Perfect attitude Mozart.. I understand the counseling due to a kids turf battle, or a kid being home sick etc.. That's a given, you are as much a counselor as a parent would be..

But, that wouldn't qualify you to work out problems that stem from a kid who was kidnapped, abused, watched a loved one get murdered, was at the Boston Marathon and was one of the victims or watched as countless people got blown up in front of your eyes, nor would it qualify you to work through a childs sexual orientation issues if he was realizing he was homosexual, or (as LDS wishes) not work through them at all, just come up with a cockamamie game plan on how to convert you to becomeing sexually interesting in females rather then males..

Go camping, canoeing, hiking and cooking and leave your nose out of buisness that you have no qualifications to tinker in..

Well I sure see the humor in it. Let's see...Barbara Eden on one hand and Richard Boone on the other. That choice is not a spectrum at all (although one side might be a spectre, lol). I view the choice in terms as absolute as the choice that people from New Hampshire can't seem to figure out (on the one hand, Live Free. On the other hand, Die. Folks, to me that choice is kind of obvious, it's not rocket surgery!)

So ghjim, I'm with you. Not even a shred of ambiguity that I can see (except maybe for people from New Hampshire).

Time for another mozartbrau cartoon!

Picking on me packsaddle?.. We can always just shorten it to "Live or Die".. (you choose).. Seriously, it's nice and short and looks good on bumper stickers.. What's your beef?
Grain fed, well marbled, and rare.

Barbara Eden, huh? For me, I'd say it was probably more like Barbara Feldon. Not to mention I remember getting a Raquel Welch poster at some point. I don't remember choosing to like that poster, or choosing to like Barbara Feldon. It just happened. Heck, I think I even liked Marlo Thomas on "That Girl."

Point is, the idea that orientation is a "choice" is just contrary to everything that I have seen, heard and experienced. And there's no reason it should work differently for people of a different orientation than mine.

Well, since I was a girl (cooties and all).. I first had a crush on David Jones of the Monkees, then it was Bobby Shermin from Here come the Brides... Never did like David Cassidy much.. (But NJCubScouter I like Marlo Thomas also (not in that way), but she always for some reason reminded me of my big sister, who I always looked up to growing up.

Don't know how many of you have seen this...this is the Voting Member Information Packet for the upcoming conference. It goes into better detail than the "Executive Summary," and gives more detail on how the polling took place.

The writers of the survey seem a little discombobulated by the fact that the current policy enjoys "strong and widespread support" among scouters, and it is only when push-poll questions are included does support for the policies seem to change:

Respondents support the policy by a 61 percent to 34 percent margin, with intensity overwhelmingly favoring supportersâ€â€54 percent “totally support†the policy, while 25 percent “totally oppose†it. While support for the policy is strongest among whites, men, and middle-aged adults, it is consistent throughout virtually all segments of the Scouting family. Only people in the Northeast and the youngest adults oppose the policy.

Considering the scenarios has virtually no effect on people’s view of the current policy. After reading the scenarios, respondents continue to support the policy by a wide 60 percent to 35 percent margin, including intensity that strongly favors supporters.

The public at large disliked the Local Option that was so favored by many here by a 2-to-1 ratio. It doesn't sound like changing the policy to LGBT inclusion will lead to a huge influx in scouts whose parents disapprove of the current policy. Most people just don't care. Muggles!

2. the policy is not a motivating factor for people whose sons are not in scouting. Just 2 percent of parents say the ban on gays is the reason why their son isn’t in the organization. The core reasons for lack of involvement remain the same as we have seen in past researchâ€â€that their son is too busy or involved in other things (29 percent), not old enough (21 percent), or not interested (20 percent).

Non-scouting parents oppose the current policy and parents with kids in scouting support it:

Parents now oppose the policy by 45 percent to 42 percent, in stark contrast to 2010, when they supported it by 58 percent to 29 percent. Parents of current Scouts continue to support the policy, but only by 48 percent to 39 percent (down from 57 percent to 29 percent in 2010). The effect of the policy has also shifted toward the negative, with parents saying it makes them less likely to enroll their son by 23 percent to 22 percent (in 2010, it made them more likely to do so by 30 percent to 15 percent).

which leads to the question - if you are not involved in scouting and don't care to be...why should your opinion matter if you don't have skin in the game?

Although the survey says

The Youth Study Group (teens 16 to 18) was charged with listening to the voice of youthâ€â€both current members and nonmembers. Harris Interactive was contracted to survey both current youth members as well as general population teens. Key findings include:

• Among general population teens and Boy Scouts and Venturers alike, a majority oppose the current Boy Scouts of America membership policy.

• A majority of Boy Scouts and Venturers oppose allowing chartered organizations to follow their own beliefs if that means there will be different standards from one organization to the next.

• According to a majority of current Boy Scouts and Venturers, the current policy does not represent a core value of Scouting.

...I didn't know that the polling group of Scouts was so small (only 218 active Scouts) (and was restricted to those 16 to 18), or that the Baptist and LDS COs elected not to have their scouts included in the polling.

BSA youth membership was not directly surveyed as originally planned through the Voice of the Scout process used for adult leadership. When the survey process was originally announced, several chartered organizations, including the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and Baptist church, and many parents asked that their youth members not be contacted as part of the survey. In light of the feedback received, it was determined the surveys could be conducted through Harris Interactive utilizing the Harris Interactive Online youth panelists (HPOL).

The membership standards survey was conducted online from March 18-22, 2013, among 1,021 U.S. residents ranging from 16 to 18 years of age who agreed to a consent statement regarding their participation in the research. Of the group surveyed, 803 youth were HPOL general population and 218 (21 percent) youth were from a contact list of registered members of the Boy Scout and Venturing programs. Confidence level in the survey results is 95 percent. Most BSA members who are 19 to 20 years of age had an opportunity to participate in the direct Voice of the Scout questionnaire as adults.

One of the more surprising stats (that was not included in the widely distributed executive summary) is this:

In total, about half (48 percent) of Boy Scouts and Venturers believe they can find a way to continue to participate in the organization if the decision on this policy disagrees with their own view. Twenty-two percent do not believe they can find a way to continue, and 30 percent are not sure.

Viewed in terms of their post-scenario opinion of the current policy, 32 percent of those who support the current policy believe they can find a way to continue participation in the organization if the policy is reversed, while another 32 percent do not believe they can find a way to continue in this case; 37 percent have not made up their mind. Meanwhile, 55 percent of those who oppose the current requirement believe they can find a way to continue if the policy remains in place, while 18 percent do not believe they can find a way to continue and 27 percent have not yet made up their mind.

Based on the proportions of support, opposition, and neutral opinions regarding the current policy, and their respective anticipated reactions if the policy decision disagrees with their own view, it is estimated that relatively similar effects on membership would be seen regardless of whether the policy remains or is changed. On either side of the issue, between 10 percent and 12 percent of current members believe they could not find a way to continue, while between 72 percent and 74 percent believe that they could. There are, however, a substantial percentage of undecided members whose effects remain to be seen.

When we look at the respondents as a whole, though:

Nearly three-fifths of respondents say the current policy is a core value of scouting found in the scout oath and Law. People say the policy represents a core value by a 58 percent to 42 percent margin, helping to explain the overwhelming, intense, and consistent support for the policy among respondents.

The money part of the full report is probably this:

One-third of respondents say they do not believe they can continue with the organization if the Bsa makes a decision on the policy that conflicts with their own view. Thirty-four percent of respondents say they do not believe they could continue with the organization if they disagree with the BSA’s decision on the policy, 33 percent say they believe they could continue, and 33 percent are unsure.

Views on this matter are far stronger among supporters of the policy than among opponents. Among supporters of the policy, 50 percent say they could not continue with the organization if the policy changed. But among opponents of the policy, just 11 percent say they could not continue if the policy remain in place.

Here's the full packet. There is a lot in here to discuss, both pro- and anti- the current, local, and proposed policies:

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/MembershipStandards/310-561_WB.pdf

Okay, RememberSchiff's comment has been sitting here all solitary and lonely-like for a while, so I'll comment.

LDS's somewhat lukewarm support for the policy proposal may not ultimately be applauded by gay activists, for reasons that go beyond what many feel about the asymmetrical nature of the arrangement.

I spoke to a friend who is an LDS Scouter last weekend who had an interesting perspective on the LDS's announcement, which he said has to be understood in the context of the unique relationship of the BSA and the LDS. As the BSA is the official youth activity of the LDS, it is used primarily for religious purposes, and to promote personal growth, religious education and the advancement of their young men in their priesthood. Homosexuality is still seen as disordered by the LDS religion, although they have moved towards an acceptance of a same-sex attraction in Mormons as a way to treat them with compassion and help them move towards a lifestyle in accordance with LDS teachings. (If I have misunderstood LDS teaching, I apologize and welcome any comments in correction).

As LDS troops tend to be largely or solely LDS, the religious component will likely be used to mentor youths with a SSA attraction (using what he described as counseling and gentle peer support, without harassment or bullying), to guide them back into a lifestyle more in accordance with LDS teachings. LDS parents will be likely support this process. I don't think this is an official policy or plan, but as my friend said, it will be the likely end-result of any change in the process.

This would be possible in an LDS troop, due to their official involvement with scouting, in a way that most other non-LDS troops (even religious chartered ones) would not find possible.

I understand that most gay activists (and non-gays who support gay activism) find the idea that a gay youth could be "changed" in his or her sexual orientation to be anathema. So this might not be exactly the end-result of LDS gay inclusion they envisioned. The LDS church will not use any new policy to change their teachings or affirm homosexuality.

There is some good evidence (Savin-Williams, R.C. and Ream, G.L. (2007) Prevalence and Stability of Sexual Orientation Components During Adolescence and Young Adulthood. Archives of Sexual Behavior 36, 385-394) with a very large study sample (far larger than Kinsey's, for example) that there is a high rate of movement from self-image as gay or bisexual to heterosexual within a 1-year period (age 16 to 17, in the longitudinal study) in adolescents, which continues over the next 5 years, so an LGBT orientation is by no means a fixed self-identification. Kids are always in a state of flux, and are as prone to sexual identity experimentation as any other sort of self-identification. The movement from homosexuality or bisexuality at age 16 to self-identification as heterosexual by age 17 is 25 times higher than movement from the opposite extreme (heterosexual to a homosexual or bisexual self-identification). This research could be used to support gay inclusion in the BSA, incidentally, on the evidence that many boys (and girls) who are unsure about their orientation do, in fact, "grow out of it," and that a youth program model that encourages moral rectitude without harassment or bullying could cause a greater rate of change in orientation in those with a desire to be heterosexual, or simply out of a realization that most kids who may join while identifying as "gay" are statistically unlikely to remain that way. It deserves some consideration by those who oppose inclusion of youths who self-identify as LGBT, although youth safety issues involved in inclusion will remain problematic for many adult leaders and parents.

Surprisingly (or maybe not), the pull towards heterosexuality remains quite strong (which an exclusively evolutionary as well as a religious model of human origin would predict), and only a small proportion of those who identify exclusively as same-sex attracted at age 16 continue to do so at age 17 (without any intervention models). A very small percentage of those who identify as heterosexual move to homosexual. A large proportion (the majority) of those who identify as bisexual at 16 move largely to exclusively heterosexual, with a small group retaining a bisexual identity and a much smaller group moving to exclusively homosexual.

The sexual orientation self-identification rates from the cohort from age 17 to 25 show heterosexuals continue to largely remain heterosexuals. Of those who continued to identify as bisexuals by age 17, a majority moved to heterosexuality but a larger proportion continued as bisexual than during the 1-year 16 to 17 age period. 75% of those with a full same sex attraction at 17 had moved on to heterosexuality by age 25. Females show the greatest drop from full homosexuality at 17 - very few reported full same sex attraction by age 25, although women with an initial SSA are the only group that ended as a high proportion of bisexuality (than SSA or heterosexuality) at the end of the study.

There are no studies showing whether a counseling model based on long-term peer-group support for adolescents in a BSA model of mentorship and a spiritually-based program focusing on positive moral values would work any better than clinically based "conversion" programs (which are very controversial), as I don't think this has ever been tried before. Use of the BSA by some troops as a "gentle" conversion program would probably not be seen as a desirable outcome by LGBT activists. Could make the kids dig in their heels more, too, but maybe not.

From a strictly utilitarian perspective, the CDC research shows a much higher rate of suicide and self destructive behavior in nearly every category for LGBT youth. While some have argued that this is solely the end result of low self-esteem due to bullying and societal and family disapproval, if LGBT self-identification is more flexible that those with a political agenda may have led us to believe, maybe we should try to steer youths away through the youth mentorship programs pioneered by the BSA.

I don't have a dog in this particular fight, but it will be interesting to see what happens. I don't think National would want to touch this side-issue (religious counseling for conversion) with a 10-foot pole.

I am also an LDS Scouter, and I would disagree with your friend. Our leaders have gone to some lengths to help us understand that homosexual acts are sins but homosexuality itself is a personal challenge for the afflicted. In other words, if the scouts aren't having sex, it doesn't matter if they are gay. In fact, some Latter-day Saints I know don't believe that someone can be gay if they have never had sex.

On the other hand, if the scout is having sex, then it matters a great deal, gay or straight, and I am certain he will not be able to advance in rank; although, I've only ever volunteered at the Cub Scout level, and we don't have anything like a board of review.

It is official policy that troop activities should be used to reactivate young men who have stopped coming to church on Sundays. All boys on the membership roles are automatically registered in the pack, troop or team even if their parents haven't brought them to church for years.

Thanks for posting that link to the whole survey results, AZMike. I never knew it existed.

I read the whole thing and what a mish mash of numbers. Predicting what will happen based on these numbers is like predicting the Final Four. It's a Rorschach test, you can find anything you want in there. What struck me was that the parents and the scouts are fine with some sort of change and the scouters are not. Something about knowing your customers applies here. Maybe I picked up on that because I'm the one in my troop always defending the notion that the scouts do know the right thing to do and the adults need to back off and let them lead. The other surprise is that it's as close as it is. Before this whole thing came up I figured maybe 20% of members wanted a change.

I'm not so sure this thing is going to pass but I also know the genie is out of the bottle. If I predict anything it's that national will lose control of the situation. If it passes, those that don't like gay scouts will drive them out. If it fails, those that don't mind gays will be more vocal about it and turn a blind eye to the rules.

Thanks for posting that link to the whole survey results, AZMike. I never knew it existed.

I read the whole thing and what a mish mash of numbers. Predicting what will happen based on these numbers is like predicting the Final Four. It's a Rorschach test, you can find anything you want in there. What struck me was that the parents and the scouts are fine with some sort of change and the scouters are not. Something about knowing your customers applies here. Maybe I picked up on that because I'm the one in my troop always defending the notion that the scouts do know the right thing to do and the adults need to back off and let them lead. The other surprise is that it's as close as it is. Before this whole thing came up I figured maybe 20% of members wanted a change.

I'm not so sure this thing is going to pass but I also know the genie is out of the bottle. If I predict anything it's that national will lose control of the situation. If it passes, those that don't like gay scouts will drive them out. If it fails, those that don't mind gays will be more vocal about it and turn a blind eye to the rules.

As a possible reason for the disparity between youth/parents and scouters: Scouters have the most at risk from a legal liability standpoint. If something bad were to happen at an outing, scouters are the first and biggest target. Even if BSA were to indemnify scouters, scouters are still drug through the mud.

I think the disparity is because scouters tend to be older (over 50?). Older people tend to be more conservative and tradition-minded.

When 2 or 3 30-something dads come in and ask for my job they can have it :).