• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basement, martyrdom is not a prereq for scouting service....

Qwazse, maybe my sarcasm meter is inop/needing calibration, but I think chopping wood is far better for all concerned, and more beneficial than any indoor academic parlor game.

How did scouting survive, nay, thrive, before all this mush? By chopping wood.

D.R., I could probably use a little touch-up on woodcutting skills. Now that I'm older, the effects of poor posture (and poor tool maintenance) are coming home to roost! Also, true story: at my beading, the MC stuck the ax in the log, but couldn't keep the darn thing from rolling sideways nearly off the table! Nobody taught him about preparing by shaving the bark off of one side or splitting two short pieces and notching them for a stand.

But, if the course did that, you bet there'd be topic in this site's side bar: Woodcutting Session I was reading through the WB horror stories, and there were a lot of complaints with that segment. I remember no issues. Some people have feelings hurt ...

• 1 month later...

The WB experience in general is very dependant upon the staff. Especially the Game if Life. As a course particiapant this game did not have an adverse affect on me but it did on a few others.

I too have been to many corperate trainings in the 'real world' and teach at many of these trainings for my job. I was very impressed with our staff as I saw this game unfolding. I was not privy to the details of the game before hand but could see the eventual outcome as it was unfolding.

As scouters were upset after the game the senior staff and TGs were great at how they handled these participants. Additionally, we were reminded that this game and the emotions are part of the curriculum by design. Those scouters that were affected the most by the game also grew the most from their experiences.

To purposfully cause storming between the two weeks ends is a horrible idea IMHO.

I was lucky to have a great staff who modeled the behavior they expected from us and made the course worth while. If I had a different staff I could see WB being a very unpleasant expereince.

I used to be a Buffalo...

The WB experience in general is very dependant upon the staff. Especially the Game if Life. As a course particiapant this game did not have an adverse affect on me but it did on a few others.

I too have been to many corperate trainings in the 'real world' and teach at many of these trainings for my job. I was very impressed with our staff as I saw this game unfolding. I was not privy to the details of the game before hand but could see the eventual outcome as it was unfolding.

As scouters were upset after the game the senior staff and TGs were great at how they handled these participants. Additionally, we were reminded that this game and the emotions are part of the curriculum by design. Those scouters that were affected the most by the game also grew the most from their experiences.

To purposfully cause storming between the two weeks ends is a horrible idea IMHO.

I was lucky to have a great staff who modeled the behavior they expected from us and made the course worth while. If I had a different staff I could see WB being a very unpleasant expereince.

i didn't find this forum until i was done with my course. i'm rather surprised that so many people find 'game of life" distasteful. i rather enjoyed the game and i thougth that it teaches how the team work works and cooperation within the larger org can work better if everyone look after each other's benefit. i mean, after all we are in BSA not each pack/troop looking after each pack/troops interests.

we are not in it for profit, or anything and most of us are in this as volunteers.

while i was completing my tickets, i reached out to so many people and they were all willing to help in any way they can. and i'll do the same for anyone who's asking for my help. this is game, the life is the biggest game we play. the end result is simple. we all die. last question should be "do i regret anything i have done in this life" if the answer is "no", than we did good.

i didn't find this forum until i was done with my course. i'm rather surprised that so many people find 'game of life" distasteful. i rather enjoyed the game and i thougth that it teaches how the team work works and cooperation within the larger org can work better if everyone look after each other's benefit. i mean, after all we are in BSA not each pack/troop looking after each pack/troops interests.

we are not in it for profit, or anything and most of us are in this as volunteers.

while i was completing my tickets, i reached out to so many people and they were all willing to help in any way they can. and i'll do the same for anyone who's asking for my help. this is game, the life is the biggest game we play. the end result is simple. we all die. last question should be "do i regret anything i have done in this life" if the answer is "no", than we did good.

" i mean, after all we are in BSA not each pack/troop looking after each pack/troops interests. "

I learned long ago that it's foolish to argue with a bullet, so please allow me to respectfully disagree.

Many of us are specifically looking after our troops/packs IN SPITE of national BSA.

If you are really placing your unit's interests (and your boy's interests) behind national's interests, there is a job for you at the district or council level...

I gotta ask how long you have been involved in scouting????

Joebob is correct...... Nation or council doesn't really care about the local units, we are just a tick mark on someones talley sheet.

Honestly there are finite resources available on the local level, whether it is store fronts to sell popcorn in front of, or it is asking business owners for donations or if it is fund raising door to door or the inexpensive or free camping spots and even scouts.....Our units compete for everything.

While it is true that scouters are supposed to look out for each other and the "We all win" mentality, doesn't exist in the real world of scouting.