It's hard to tell this story without getting into too many specific details, but I'll give it a shot.

About a year ago my Webelos den earned their Readyman badge.

A few days ago I got a call from a mother of one of the boys, who is now age 10. She told me the story of how she had a medical emergency a few nights before while she was home alone with her son and younger daughter. He used the knowledge he gained through scouts to treat her and directed his sister to call for help.

At the ER, the medical staff credited the boy with saving his mother's life. They asked him where he learned lifesaving skills and he said "earning my first responder pin through Cub Scouts." (Ok, so he didn't get the badge name right :) )

There are a lot of folks outside Scouting who seem to be making it their mission to make the BSA go away. And there are those within our own ranks (and in these forums) who would like to say good riddance to Cub Scouting in particular.

Well, were it not for the Cub Scout program, I know a family that would be mourning a tragedy today. Not sure if that's something the detractors ever think about....(This message has been edited by brewmeister)

Yah, Brewmeister, a full Scout Salute to the young man, and to you and his cub leaders who taught him more than one-and-done!

Now, da Beavah has a homework assignment for yeh. Get a copy of da application for da Lifesaving or Meritorious Action award group from here:

http://www.www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/LifesavingAward.pdf

Mark the boy down for a Heroism Award. Get a statement from the doc and from mom and the boy. Fill out the form and hand-deliver it to your council Program Director or someone who knows what they're doin'.

Yah, yah, it's a lot of paperwork and a bit of a hassle, eh? But these are da things we should be honoring and recognizing, and these are the things that can get picked up by the local press and tell a different, truer story about Scouting. So suck it up and do the paperwork for the boy and for Scouting, and for da recognition your pack deserves for its part in keepin' a family together.

A fitting Thanksgiving indeed!

Beavah

Yes, I plan to do that, although I'm a bit confused about who should start the process. The form seems to imply it should be completed by a council committee or some such thing so I'm unclear whether I should start the process or someone else.

The main reason I offer this story up here is because it is an example of how, regardless of the changes that may have taken place over the years, the BSA still manages to find a way to fulfill it's nationally chartered purpose:

"To promote ... the ability of boys to do things for themselves and others."

The second reason I offer it is that Cub Scouts is much maligned as the arts and crafts stepchild of "real" scouting. Well, we didn't do anything special in our Den, we just followed the program, and "Readyman" is required for rank. We didn't do anything that countless other leaders have done in Packs nationwide.

It is a credit to the BSA program in total. And of course it is the most credit to this 10 year old boy who kept his cool under the most stressful of circumstances to make a difference. When asked how he could treat his mom without panicking, he simply said, "I didn't have a choice."

I wish that people out there who denigrate Scouting could meet this boy. Maybe they will someday, or the others like him.

Ya Brew. I don't countenance the smoke-blowing about CS being irrelevant or too class-roomy. In these parts, they are the smallest classes the boys will be in until they pick a college with low student:teacher ratio.

For emergency preparedness, the small room is a big deal. It makes every youth accountable to know his stuff. I breathed a small sigh of relief when my youngest went through the rescue material and I knew everyone in my household knew it in their own right. Until then, we would try to get him to remember his house #, but we were never to sure he was taking it seriously!

In our council the advancement committee handles these awards. I'm sure your council HQ will be able to give you the contact person. As with most paperwork, keep copies for yourself, just in case ...

Yes, I plan to do that, although I'm a bit confused about who should start the process. The form seems to imply it should be completed by a council committee or some such thing so I'm unclear whether I should start the process or someone else.

Yep, nominally these things are filed by da council advancement committee with national, so the forms are written that way.

Practically speakin', it's like everything in Scouting, eh? If yeh wait for da council it won't get done. :p Call your Program Director or council advancement chair for advice, but I'd strongly suggest that you fill out the paperwork and put the whole thing together, then give it to an exec who will help shepherd it through the council advancement committee. Mostly they'll review and stamp it; a particularly diligent group might make a few phone calls. Your level of investment in the lad is higher than da council's, and these things are best if they proceed relatively quickly so the boy gets recognition (and so they don't just get lost through lack of attention).

I once heard an estimate that only about 10% of the boys who deserve a Meritorious Action award actually apply. Not sure where they got da figure, but I reckon it's typical of scouts, eh? Yeh do these things because, as the boy said, you "don't have a choice." It's your duty to step up when others are in need. So most folks don't ever think about applyin' for the awards.

Beavah