Wow! Thanks for the information Bob. I'll contact the council office to see what we need to do. Both myself and the Packs current Webelos leader have done everything required to earn Cubscout knots but they were never awarded. I doubt the paper work was ever turned in. I only received my cubmaster knot because the CC wanted to give me a good send off when we instilled a new cubmaster when I took the Troop as SM. I'm still a Committee member of the Pack so I make a point of this to the committee each year to make sure the leaders are recognized for thier efforts.

In our area of the country (your mileage may vary), it's up to the Scouter to track his/her progress and submit the application (usually at roundtable), not the unit. The applications are now available on-line as .pdf downloads, as well. When I conduct training, one of the handouts is the application for the specific knot and an explanation of how to complete it. Some are interested in uniform decorations, many are not.

Another question: I think that the medal form of the awards (neck ribbon for Cub Scouters) are still available, but I have never seen one awarded, or even worn any more. The "award" consists of a certificate and the knot. Most people don't even know that a medal exists, and if they want one, do they have to buy their own? Are these considered passe' now?

As Scoutldr said, unless your unit has someone to track progress toward these awards, it is the Scouter's job.

Bear in mind that one two year period cannot be used for different awards. For example, as Cubmaster you can earn the Cubmaster award and the Cub Scouter award but that would require four years of service.

The medals are available, as Fat Old Guy points out. However, most councils do not award them. I used to work for a council that did award them, but stopped because the medals cost (this was 10 years ago) around $15.00 each and most folks wanted the knot and rarely wore the medal.

If you'd like to order a medal and pay the $15-20 they are readily available from National Supply. I, for one, like to see the medals on people, but don't blame a council for not shelling out the fifteen bucks when it would be better spent on something else.

DS

The pin-on medal for the Scouter Training award is only abut $7.50. Your district training chair can provide the applications for many of the adult awards. They are part of the Leadership Training Committee Guide book.

That's interesting, I thought the medals had been discontinued. What's the procedure for ordering them? Does Council have to order them?

I've been pushing all my adult leaders to work toward the knots for the past two years and finally have two guys who are about to complete the tenure requirement. I'd like to make a big deal about presenting the awards and the medals are pretty impressive.

FScouter -- Thank you for the correction. The pin on medals are less expensive than the around-the-neck medals. Both (I believe) can be ordered through your local council Scout Shop or Trading Post.

I applaud the efforts to get folks to earn and wear them. The boys end up benefitting and it's a nice way to recognize adult effort.

DS