Ranger First Aid Core Requirements-What Suffices?

this is the Ranger First Aid Core Requirement:

Complete a standard first aid course or the American Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Basics or equivalent course.

What have you done to meet this requirement? How much time and who offered it and how much did it cost?

Depending on where you live, it can be very tough to find a Red Cross WFA course.

Around where I'm from, the Red Cross standard course is eight hours, including CPR - that's for infant, children and adults, the whole kit & kaboodle. I've been told by a RC WFA instructor that the WFA course is a whole weekend.

There are also private companies and nonprofits - see www.wildmed.com and www.nols.edu/wmi for examples - that offer such courses.

Red Cross Basic First Aid is 4 hours. CPR is another 4 hours.

As noted, its very hard to get WFA (or equiv) in many areas. Its occasionally given in my area, but its a weekend-long.

The BSA-Red Cross agreement should make it easier/cheaper to go thru the courses.

Back in April I took the ASHI (American Safety and Health Institute) Wilderness First Aid course.

This was 16- to 20- hours (8:30am to 5:00pm) on a Saturday/Sunday

This course satisfies NYS trip leader requirements (I don't know about other states/programs)

The cost was $40 plus we had to provide/buy lunch each day.

The other Crew Advisors I know accept this for the Ranger Requirement.