Your Favorite Comedy Movies

Packsaddle, as for Jerry Lewis, I used to watch some of his movies when I was a kid and thought they were funny -- "Way Way Out" is one I remember and I remember seeing some of the Martin/Lewis movies though their names escape me) -- but when I see them now, they really aren't. They just don't hold up in my opinion.

And this is someone who is the only celebrity (to my knowledge) to go to the same elementary school that I did, and who (family legend has it) used to visit the house I lived in in that town, because it was owned by his aunt and uncle. (Hmmmm; if that isn't clear: Supposedly Jerry Lewis's aunt and uncle owned a house that was later my house, and when the aunt and uncle owned it, Jerry would visit. I don't think my parents or I ever met Jerry.)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NJCubScouter, It's interesting, isn't it, how the sense of humor changes with time. I'm not sure if it's age or experience or even if that can be sorted out. I agree about the Jerry Lewis films. I remember really liking 'Big Mouth' and quite some time later saw it again thinking, "OK, why did I like that?"

That said, I remember my son laughing at cartoons at a very early age, around 1 year. Recently I saw a rerun of some of those cartoons at the student union...yep, those university students are still laughing!

I can't help it.

No role models or politics for me, just funny.

I have to add Cat Balou.

It lurks in the reruns and Lee Marvin gets me everytime.

I still like those Stooges. This must be my politically incorrect night.

Night Fox

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I liked Cat Ballou too. If you ever get the chance you might consider "Hallelujah Trail" as well. Brian Keith, Burt Lancaster, Donald Pleasance (as the Oracle). Somewhat un-PC though...maybe that makes it more fun.

bsat4jb, for me it was, "It works the same for us (protestants), dear, we have two children." (Meaning of Life) This one is hard to beat for us biologists.

I'll try not to inflict myself on you any further.

Mel Brooks' To Be or Not To Be

Bringing Up Baby (Baby is a lion cub...)

The *new* Freaky Friday (normally I boycott Disney - Forgive me Father for I have sinned...I was given free tickets and it was ...really good)

Only You (not sure how this one would play in this testosterone-smogged room ;) )

I'll have to agree with several of you on "Maverick", with Mel Gibson and Jodie Foster, and add "Support Your Local Gunfighter" and "Support Your Local Sheriff", all three with James Garner

NJcubscouter, some of my favorite quotes from MPATHG include:

"'e's got two empty 'alves o' coconut an' 'e's bangin' 'em together!"

"The Black Knight always triumphs!"

"But you've got no arms!"

"I'll ask 'im, but I don't think he'll be very keeeeen, ah... 'e's already got one, you see?"

"Well, I didn't know you were called Dennis!"

"Yes! It was the dreaded three headed knight! The most fearsome creature for yards around! For second after second, Sir Robin held his ground, but the onslaught proved to great!...'Brave Sir Robin ran away'. 'No I didn't!' 'He bravely ran away, away!' 'I did no such thing!' 'When danger reared it's ugly head, he bravely turned his tail and fled, brave, brave, brave, brave Sir Robin, Sir Robin, he bravely ran away.' (fades into the distance)

"First, thou shalt pullest out the holy pin. Then, thou shalt countest to three. Three shall be the number of thine counting, and the number of thine counting shall be three. No more, no less. Thou shalt not count to four, and thou shalt not count to two, unless thou then proceedeth to count to three. Five is right out. Lobbest then thou thine holy hand grenade, and blow thine foe to tiny bits."

It's pretty sad, I've only seen the movie three times, and I could keep going and going and going...(with accents and everything!)