New Venturing Leaders (adult) training

At a District Training Committee meeting I heard that a revised version of this is out or due to be coming out shortly.

From what I was told it can be run in conjunction with SM skills with breakout sessions for Venturing.

I heard that Basic Outdoor Leaders Skills would be run in a similar fashion and be required for Venturing Leaders to be considered trained.

After being on staff for SM/Outdoor Skills training I am not sure really how much overlap there is.

This weekend we are trying to mix the OWL and Basic Outdoor Skills by having the "Webelos Dens" work with the "Scout Patrols" on things such as knots, map and compass and few other areas.

After taking both, I can see these programs working together but I just dont see it working the same for the Venturing program.

Has anyone heard about this or know when it will be coming out?

Am a little dubious of this.

Venturing and Boy Scouting programs are not the same. How is having Venturing leaders be training alongside SMs?? Doing 'break outs' for Venturing doesn't work.

Also, while I recommend OLS for Venturing leaders who crews DO camp, and who have not taken it while being Boy Scout leaders, to require it for ALL Venturing leaders is ridicilous. Not all crew camp!

I have some sources I'll be asking about this.

I'd appreciate clarification, too. I was DTC for some time, & taught the OLT & SM Specific many times. Venturing is rather "new" out here, so I didn't teach the course, but attended as a trainee. The trainings are NOTHING alike!!! I can see where they might have the training at the same time, but would need a totally separate instruction! This doesn't make sense to me!

Ma Scout

This didn't sound right to me either but this is what my District Training Chair told me.

What brought this up is that at this meeting I found out I am one of the few people in my Council that is qualified to do Venturing Leaders Training.

In starting a new Sea Scout Ship the Adults will need to have this and I can't see doing old training if something new is coming along and is something I haven't done.

Over the weekend our council is having both WLOT and SM/Outdoor Skills training.

I know at least 4 of our councils 6 Districts training chairs will be there so I ask around and post anything I find out.

I asked my source at the National Venturing Division.

There is nothing new coming out for adult Venturing Training.

They ARE working on 2 new training programs for Venturers (youth), one on mentoring, the other on teaching others. When they spoke about this at Sea Base, they hope to have patches similiar to VLSC for them.

emb021- Thanks. I knew someone on this forum would have the answer.

In just finding out I am one of the few people in the council qualified to run Venturing Leaders training I wanted to be sure I was doing the current training.

I would like to run VLSC training in the Fall.

I have never seen this offered by our council.

I didn't know there was a patch for this.

CNYScouter wrote:I can't see doing old training if something new is coming along and is something I haven't done.Never assume. Always teach the syllabus you have until you see a living, breathing replacement in your hands.

Its thinking like that that caused many Councils to cancel WLOT courses five years ago, because the new course was "right around the corner".

Of course, the new syllabus didn't come out until last fall -- who knows how many Webelos den leaders missed out on a possible knot (at best) or took their dens out camping with no camping skills (at worst) because Councils assumed the new course was imminent?

Never assume.

"I would like to run VLSC training in the Fall.

I have never seen this offered by our council.

I didn't know there was a patch for this. "

Its double. I did this in one council I work with. In another they've been doing it at the council level for several years. (crews are too small to do it themselves).

If possible, see if you can run VLSC with several Venturers as your participants this summer, with you and a couple of other adults being the staff. Then in the Fall, have those Venturers be your staff.

While VLSC is running, get all the adults over in another room/area and run them thru adult basic training.