UC’s doing FOS presentations

I have been asked to take over as DC when our District re-charters in June.

A couple of things have happened over the last week or so that give me a question to ask.

The first thing is that I was copied on an email from one of our UCs to our DE stating that even though they had done FOS presentations in the past asking them to do it for a unit they were the UC for was just wrong. They went on to say that they didnt think the UCs should be doing FOS presentations at all as this was a District Committee responsibility.

The second thing happened while I was making a visit to one of the units I am the UC for. This just happened to be the night they were doing their FOS presentation. One of the parents asked me why I wasnt doing it as they thought that doing FOS presentations was what UCs did.

I know some of this is a symptom of a bigger problem as our District Committee is virtually non-existent and the Commissioners are doing many of the functions that should be done by the District Committee, but this is a whole other issue.

Heres my question:

Outside of FOS presentations are not in a UCs job description - why shouldnt UCs be doing FOS presentations (for their unit or any unit at all)?

CNY

For one thing the UC is there to help a unit, especially ones in trouble. Many unit leaders look at UC's as council spies and so that makes their job even more difficult. To have you ask that units families for money will not make you a welcome visitor, and you will always be viewed as the guy that asks for money rather than the UC there to help. The DE and district committee should select key people to do these presentations, such as someone well known in the local community with a scouting background and who can bestow how the virtues of scouting helped him/her to become successful. Those types of presentations tend to bring in much better returns than someone unknown giving a canned presentation. A UC should be a units friend, not someone who is there to ask for something from them.

Funny, every time our DE calls to schedule a FOR night I sure, just have our UC arrange to do it on his next visit. He then looks at the records and says we don't have a UC and I reply Hmmm, that's strange, have him call me when you find him. Any one who wants to ask our family for money had better be able to show how he is helping our unit. Since the DE only calls about popcorn and FOS he not much of a help to me.

The UC's shouldn't be doing FOS. They should be helping with recharter and being a friend to the unit. If they were to do FOS, it should be for another unit besides the one they are assigned to.

As a former DE, finding presenters for FOS is difficult. I did most of the packs in my district, and my partner did the troops. Occasionally, we'd kill 3 birds with one stone with a pack troop and a crew for Blue and Golds. Eventually, when people get on board, know they have a hard working unit service team (DE, UC, Committee), then they usually are more open to the DE giving the speech.

Now, as training chairman and a UC, and a laid-off professional in my district of service, the volunteers usually trust what I have to say and I'm honest about what I know in regards to finances. Honestly will pay off in the end, but you've got to have the unit service to back it up.

In my experience, the FoS gimme is done by anyone who is concerned about supporting Scouting. I have seen it done by the local DE, an unlocal DE, a Committee Chair, a DC, the Cubmaster, lots of folks.

I am among the crowd who is put off by some of our "pros", however. When I approached one DE about a problem, he asked me why I would want to bring such attention to myself by asking about it? Another time, another was heard speaking to a Cub Parent who had asked him to come to their Pack and speak about the Scout program and he replied that (quote)" I don't do that kind of thing. I have people that do. I'll get'em to call you". Cub Parent told me he no one ever did (call them). I can readily understand how some Scout folks are not welcoming to someone who asks for mo'money, after camp fees, dues, popcorn purchases, and such. But then, it is like alot of publicly visible things , very often the "visible" charges don't near cover all the expenses.

We just hope that the PTB don't try and sell off the Council Camps to cover 5 or 6 figure salaries.

I cant think of any inherent reason a UC shouldnt give the FOS presentation in his own or other units. The FOS presentations should be given by folks who are competent doing that type of public speaking and interaction. If the UC is competent than she should do them.

Sure not all UCs are going to be able to do this or be effective doing it, but fundraising shouldnt be seen as an unfriendly act that someone helping a unit shouldnt soil their hands with.

In fact, if a UC is really good at their role they should have exactly the kind of credibility that would enable them to explain the relationship between the programs provided and the costs, financing, and need for fundraising they entail.

I have been spending time lately as a volunteer becoming involved in fundraising for our council. The one thing that is constant and clear is there are more needs then there are monies to pay for them. FOS is one of the primary ways that scouting is financed and until someone comes up with the money from somewhere else it needs to be done and done well.