For your summer reading pleasure, I just finished a book called "Scout's Honor - A father's unlikely foray into the woods" by Peter Applebome. It chronicles his first three years as his son joined a scout troop and dad came along out of what at first was duty, but as time went on became a love of Scouting. He describes weekend campouts, canoe trips, COH's, and summer camp, some successful, some less than that. He describes the boys in his son's troop in great detail, and it's remarkable how similar they are to boys I have known! I think he proves we all have the same successes and challenges no matter where we are and what kind of program we run. The book will make you smile and laugh, and other times leave you with a lump in your throat. For a change a positive spin on Scouting. I highly recommend it. It is available at Border's and Amazon.

What a timely post: I just finished reading my copy this morning! A very enjoyable book!!! I wish my husband was interested in reading it because he and author Peter Applebome are two peas in a pod. My husband enjoys Cub Scout camping and barely (and I'm stretching here!) tolerates the rest. I can only hope that he will avail himself of the memory-making father/son opportunities once our son graduates into Boy Scouts.

FYI: I found my copy at Half Price books for $12 and in excellent shape.(This message has been edited by LauraMO)

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to pick up a copy of that one.

I just finished "On My Honor - Boy Scouts and the Making of the American Way" by Jay Mechling. I wish I could give it as good a review as you gave Scout's Honor. But the Boy Scout camping they describe violated multiple rules. And the author seemed to think Boy Scout camp was the place for adolescent boys to discuss/discover their puberty and such.

Has anyone else read this book and what did you think?

I read On My Honor last year.

Thought it was proably pretty acturate, with what goes on behind the leaders back.

I will have to say that they had a pretty stong troop to put on a summer camp like they did!

It did remind me of my days as a scout many years ago, way before GTSS!

• 1 month later...

Back from the beach last week and finished the book. I have to admit that I was a bit disappointed. I kept waiting for him to "get it" and understand the program, but it never seemed to happen. I think it's good to understand that the book is written from the perspective of a parent going through the program with his son, not from that of a Scouter.

Below is a quote from the books author. I think it sums up the opinion of Scouting for the vast majority of Scouters that I know.

"I think most of Scoutings values are wonderful, and the fact that Scouting can be a little square and behind the times is part of its charm. Scouting really is built upon wonderful values of fairness, inclusion, honesty and decency. You cant teach a kid anything more valuable than the Scout Law. A lot of the privileged, sophisticated urban and suburban kids who are least likely to be Scouts are the ones who could use it the most. That said, I think the underpinnings of Scouting and the teachings of Scoutings founders are often more worthy and creative than the way they are interpreted by Scoutings leadership today. Scouting was created by three fascinating eccentrics, all of them writers, artists and iconoclasts -- the English war hero Lord Robert Baden-Powell, and the American naturalists and youth leaders Ernest Thompson Seton and Daniel Carter Beard. Their view of Scouting is more interesting and inclusive than the one being retailed by Scoutings current leadership at the national headquarters in Irving, Texas." - Peter Applebome

"Well, if you believe Jeal's biography of Baden-Powell (it insinuates that B-P was probably/possibly a repressed homosexual)"

As I understand it, the evidence is that B-P liked to watch boys play and that he didn't sleep with his wife. Neither is that unusual. Think about it.

How many adult men like to watch boys play? I don't have number but I'd argue most. They like watching Little League baseball, high school basketball, football and rave about the athleticism exhibited. Do these guys want to watch girls' basketball where cute teenagers with ponytails are running up and down the court? Nope.

Sleep with the wife? I know more than a few men who have been exiled from the masterbedroom for various reasons. I had an employee who had his own bedroom because he didn't like to go to be until 2 AM and his wife went to bed at 9 PM. She got tired of being woken up so he went down the hall. I know men who snore badly and have been exiled.

What about you guys? Do you enjoy watching your Scouts play a game of capture the flag? What does that say about you?

I believe the assertion was that he liked to watch naked boys play. Thus far, all the capture the flag games I've watched have involved fully clothed Scouts. The other point was that he had a rather unusual and long-term relationship with a young soldier whom he called "The Boy."

I'm not trying to besmirch the Old Man's reputation and really don't have an opinion one way or the other. I'm just reporting what was in the book. If we're going to debate the book, let's at least do on the basis of what was written in it.

"I believe the assertion was that he liked to watch naked boys play."

Back then boys went skinny dipping. If you are watching them play, you are, perforce, watching naked boys play.

Thirty years ago, I belong to the YMCA. The normal attire in the pool was nothing. There'd be kids and businessmen all swimming lap or cavorting in the buff. Oddly, by today's standards, no one thought anything about it.

Packsaddle. Quip?