James E. West Fellowship Award

Do you have it? Do you wear the knot? Why or why not?

Did you make the donation, or was it presented in your honor?

Among my circle of Scouter friends, this is a controversial subject. I'm curious as to what others think.

Yes.

On a few uniforms.

Like many other awards this knot does show that I support Scouting. I have a lot of awards and knots not all of them make it to every shirt. Some of my Scout shirts don't have any only the World Crest,CSP and a position patch.

Eamonn

Everybody ought to save up their pennies with this goal in mind. Contributing to this endowment could dramatically reduce the need to be fundraising dependent on other not-so-reliable organizations. I like the idea. I am saving to contribute to the West fellowship. The knot would be "I put my money where my mouth is knot" and should be worn proudly in front of every Lexus owner who gripes about the price of a Boy Scout handbook.

The "Money Where Your Mouth Is" knot. I like that, TP, I'll use it.

A few years ago I organized a reunion of all the Eagles in my old troop. We collected enough money to have our SM made a West Fellow with enough left over to contribute several thousand to the local campership fund. Honestly, if I knew then what I know now, I would have contributed to entire amount to the Council's endowment fund.

West Fellowships are great ways to honor someone. How many wool jackets and hiking staffs do they really need?

Questions: is the $1,000 contribution a national standard, or does it vary from council to council?

Yes, I weart he knot on a few uniforms. It was a gift from my wife and I feel really good knowing that the council I made the gift in will receive some income from the interest on the $1000 for eternity.

Yes, the $1000 is a national number and please remember that it is in addition to and not in lieu of your contribution to Friends of Scouting.

DS

Hey Dave, Good to hear you're back.

So how does one get nominated for this honor? Is it through Council or National? Where can I get the paperwork?

We have a Scouter here that I feel should be nominated. He has over 30+ years in the program. I believe there are enough Scouters here to get the required donation.

Matua