Ordeal this weekend :D

Well, this weekend is my council's first ordeal of the year, I'm going as an OA Member (arrow man) to help out, those who have access to the Safeguarded OA Discussions know what, I am doing but I'm not 100% sure if I am allowed to even talk about it o.O, if I am then correct me, I'm not 100% sure what is allowed out of safeguard and what isn't. Just saying welcome all new candidates from all the other councils out there, I'm assuming most councils do the Ordeals around the same time not sure, but hey welcome to the OA guys :p

Your first Ordeal is this weekend?

Heck, this week at Scout Camp was our Fourth Ordeal of seven we will do this year.

Actually, I like Ordeals and Brotherhood Ceremonies during Scout Camp... far, far more intimate than the hundreds of folks at a pop of Induction Weekends.

OTOH, Ranger gets a lot of labor for a lot of his projects on Induction weekends.

We had three inductions/service weekends throughout the year - April, June and October-ish. I can't imagine doing seven!

The June weekend traditionally has been held at the larger of the two council camps, with the main service project being set-up of tents en masse so summer staff didn't have to handle that. April was at the smaller of the two camps, and October rotated.

But an interesting note. This year, the lodge turned the traditional June inductions weekeend into a "fellowship" weekend, with no Ordeals, just fun, swimming in the pool, etc. Only 77 people showed up - less than half by far of the usual turnout.

The schedule the youth in my Lodge have...

2 induction weekends in May. We average 250 Ordeal members and 150 Brotherhoods at each.

3 inductions during Scout Camp. Weds eve-Thurs eve. These are small, intimate gatherings.

1 induction weekend in August. Another 250/150.

There are also 40K youth members in our Council!

Fall Fellowship in September. That's the Vigil Call

Vigil in October

Winter banquet in January.

+ NOAC, + Section, ...

On the other side of the state from John, we have two Ordeal/induction weekends (Brotherhood testing and ceremony, too) - Fall Reunion (September) and Spring Conclave (March). Callouts are done every Thursday of summer camp. The largest weekend by far is the Fall Reunion where we might have an Ordeal class of several hundred.

Vigil nominations are done at the winter banquet, not exactly sure when the vigil and induction are conducted. I know several Vigil honorees, I just can't remember the season as I sit here...

Vicki

"Actually, I like Ordeals and Brotherhood Ceremonies during Scout Camp... far, far more intimate than the hundreds of folks at a pop of Induction Weekends. "

In Florida, it used to be that Ordeals were held just as summer camp ended.

(Lodge work weekend to setup camp, elections and tap outs each week of camp, ordeal to take down camp).

Later on, most Lodges moved ordeal away from summer camp because:

1) too hot, so ordeals during spring was better'

2) do more meaningful service work instead of scut work putting tents/platforms away.

So typical schedule is something along these lines:

Ordeal around spring time, summer fellowship to setup camp, work day to take down camp, fall fellowship, winter banquet.