What is typical for annual dues?

We charge $10.00 per month from Sept thru May. This covers registration, and most campouts. We do have one campout in Sept that we need to charge a little extra for because of how far away it is and what it costs the troop. Summer camp is not included in our dues. By spreading it out over the year, most families are able to come up with it.

Popcorn sales go 1/2 to troop and 1/2 to person selling. Yes, we have adults that sometimes will sell also. The money earned from popcorn sales can be used for any Scouting expense.

ccjj

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jet,

Greetings!

Dues are really to sustain the finances of a unit program. With dues and fundraising, we have paid for all advancements and positions of responsibility, we have purchase and resupplied Troop equipment and consumables, and we have rechartered the Troop. So our annual budget is planned out, the troop has sustained a regular 5.00 monthly for dues, fund raised 2-3 times a year, and been beneficiary of ocassional grants.

The Troop I serve ask 5.00 a month for dues. The Crew I serve also ask 5.00 a month. The Crew suspended dues for one calendar year after a successful fund raising season, but has since began dues again.

Of note, my family participated in Little League baseball for two years. The total cost in that community was about 600 per child for a three month season. Equipment rental, lighting, park rental, and etc. This did not include personal equipment. I applaud Little League and families that participate as it is a positive program. A fairly decent time and learning experience for my family, but far too costly to sustain.

So after a few seasons of Little League. I don't think I'll ever question a Pack, Troop or Crews dues amount.

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

Bob White, how about staying with the OP rather than personal snide attacks aimed at the families involed with my unit. Better yet why don't you just stop posting all together! It's becoming clear that you do not know how to play well with others in the spirt of helping.

$1300.00 gross nets the Troop $416.00. Summer camp costs at least $205.00 but depending on where the boys choose to go this year could cost as much as $250.00. Our dues @ $160.00 does not cover any expenses for summer camp other than Troop provided campsite foods; hot dogs, pass around fudge, marshmellows, other snacks. Of the popcorn fundraising our youth benefit 75% directly for their summer cmap fee. $416.00 - $180.00 = $236.00 x .75 = $177.00 towards summer camp. We do not expect any further contributions even though each scouts camp fund is less than the actual cost of summer camp for those selling to aour target goal free ride level. So however you do the math the $1300 gross level is a win for the scout families.

We based our annual budget on actual prior expenses incurred for running the program the boys have done. We gave careful consideration of alternate activities that Scouting competes with and even at $160 per year Scouting in our Troop is a bargain. It works out to $3.20 per week with 50 meetings a year. The Councils popcorn fundraiser is something that we as a committee feel rather strongly about supporting. Local Scouting wins big.

So you see BW it appears that perhaps you should not be so quick to judge our funding plan as you do not seem to be aware of all the thoughts behind it. Resulting to personal attacks because of your ignorance shows your personality. How you can live like this and remain in Scouting is simply amazing! Surly you've missed the Friendly, Helpful, Courteous, and Kind parts of the Scout Law. Why you continue to post on this forum when you so often are disdainful of others and their ideas and perspective has me wondering. Now go back to your covey and peck at the ground; I'd hate to see a raptor have ya for lunch!

BrotherhodWWW

There were no personal snide attacks made in my post. There was not even an impersonal snide attack made. I questioned the logic and validity of a budget that requires a family to input either $416 or $165, Which is what you popcorn or family donation plan is.

You either need $165 or you need $416 but it makes no sense that you need one or the other.

Reread your post and mine and you will see that only you have used a personal snide attack and not me.

If the troop can meet its budget on $177 then why not have the popcorn sales goal as $530? If a family wants to pay for all or part of summer camp through popcorn sales then why not apply whatever the profit over the first $177 go toward their camp fee?

To say they need to raise over $400 or give $165 makes no sense.

Bob, perhaps you are not the only one confused by what we do. If I knew it was only you I would not waste the bandwidth to 'splain it since you don't seem to be on the same level as the rest of us in understanding that the above direct quote is a snide attack!

We believe that sending our youth to summer camp is an important part of the program we provide for them. Our dues does not pay any of the fees for summer camp. We rely on either parents paying for camp or participating in Troop sponserd fund raising to pay for this. Two seperate issues. Cost of dues plus summer camp at the low end is $365 with nothing going to the Troops equipment and supplies fund. We'd prefer that parents not having to pay both dues and camp fees. We offer a reachable goal that will pay for both dues and camp. Our popcorn and other fund raiser is strictly for camp and equipment purchases and repairs, however if Scouts or thier parents want to also earn their dues through fundraising then we have a program in place for them to do so. Having all this in writing so that there is no question on the rules will eliminate future misunderstandings as we've had in the past.

Yah, I reckon "It would seem a lot of unit leaders aren't teaching them how to plan" is also a shot, as well as several sentences before that, eh? :(

I don't reckon jet526 was lookin' for a "national consensus", and we certainly haven't offered him one, eh? I think he was just lookin' for ideas and a view of what da range is. We do that each year when we consider summer camp fees for our council, eh? Not because we don't know how to plan a budget, but because we do understand marketing and management. What other BSA and non-BSA camps are chargin', and how they're handling discounts, camperships, fundraising, program budgeting, etc. is informative and helpful.

Seems like BrotherhoodWWW's troop runs a fine and thoughtful program, and his families with their calculators I bet are quite grateful for such an opportunity for their boys. BobWhite, however, should probably not join that unit. :p

Back on topic, jet526, I'd encourage yeh to take a look at what other sports and extracurricular program in your area charge per season. Seems like as a rule of thumb most families don't mind paying for a year of scouting what they pay for a season of sports. Yeh also might think about doing one-day fundraisers like breakfasts or dinners instead of sales-type fundraisers. Sometimes those make for higher participation in Boy Scout aged families.

B

(This message has been edited by Beavah)

Thank you everyone.

Yes, you would think a bunch of adults could make a budget. I would if I actually had the figures, but at this point I don't. Just some ballpark numbers. Doubling the annual fee would be difficult for many. This should have been worked out back in July so the numbers would have been available prior to popcorn sales. It wasn't. The amount is not higher than what most of you are stating, and I appreciate your sharing with me.

"Yes, you would think a bunch of adults could make a budget."

On the contrary, when it comes to a Boy Scout Troop as we are discussing, I would think that one adult or a trained junior leader should be able to teach a PLC how to make a budget.

But it seems that what is happening is that troop committees are determining dues and then seeing what they can do with it.

BrotherhoodWWW says "Cost of dues plus summer camp at the low end is $365 with nothing going to the Troops equipment and supplies fund."

Well then what are the dues going for and why do they not include what the troop needs for equipment and supplies? First you say that the troop does not cover summer camp and then you say that the scout needs to sell $1300 because with part of that money the troop pays for summer camp.

Is it a troop budgeted item or is it a family expense? You claim it to be both.

If you are collecting $160 not including summer camp expenses and annual membership and Boy 's Life is about $20 a year. What are you doing with the other $140 per boy if you are not putting it toward Troop supplies and equipment.

If the family chooses instead to sell the $1300 in popcorn and nets the $416 you stated and it includes the $205 for summer camp plus the $20 for Registration and Boys Life, then what is the remaining $191 going for if not troop supplies and equipment, and WHY does the family who sells the $1300 in popcorn have to pay $50 more to support the troop then the family who chooses the $165 buy out has to pay?

It would seem that over $140 per person in dues after registration and Boys life should by a lot more than hotdogs and Smores for a year.

And the folks selling $1300 in popcorn should be asking why they are paying $50 more in dues then the families who aren't selling popcorn.

This is why I thought a calculator would be handy.

(This message has been edited by Bob White)

• 4 weeks later...

We assess each Scout a $30 registration fee that covers Council costs and Boys Life. For years and years and years there was a $0.50 Dues to be paid by the Scout at each and every Troop meeting. Scouts need to be paid up in Dues to go on any activity or outing. Just recently, after much wailing and gnashing of teeth, our Committee raised the Dues to $1.00, effective 2009. These monies, along with that generated by our annual wreath fund raiser, pretty much pays for our activity and Troop costs. We are heretics in that we do not do popcorn - ever.

We charge $125 per year and do no fundraising. That covers all troop expenses like advancement, camping gear (we provide all patrol gear including tent and cooking gear), program materials, and camp fees charged to the troop. It does not cover individual cost like food for campouts or summer camp fees.

Yes, we understand the argument that the boys should be paying their own way and are looking at possible fundraisers which will be both profitable and within the ability of the Scouts to do most of the work. Up until a year ago we held a troop yard sale which generated about half the troop's annual budget. For a number of reasons it's been less and less profitable to the point we decided it was not longer worth the effort. Parents who feel strongly that the Scouts should be earning the money for the troop are encouraged to have their son earn the $125 themselves.

Question: Which member of the PLC is responsible for developing and maintaining the troop budget? Please reference appropriate BSA resources.

We just lowered our dues from $100 to $50 in order to be competitive with other troops in our area, most seem to charge $50. We will need to make up the difference with fundraising. Dues pay for patches, handbook, patrol equipment, Boys Life, and registration. No charge for adult registration. It's pay as you go on trips.

"We assess each Scout a $30 registration fee that covers Council costs and Boys Life."

Councils do not charge for membership. National charges $10 , Boys' Life is $12. That's $22. What does the other $8 apply to in the budget?

If $50 in dues covers Registration $10, Boys' Life $12, Patches (1 to 3 ranks per scout, average 3 merit badges, a POR patch, perhaps a patrol emblem so avg. about $14, a Handbook $9, that leaves $5 per scout for patrol gear (About $30 per patrol annually).

It seems that one troop is charging too much and one not enough. With a budget shouldn't everyone know exactly where each dollar goes and exactly how much is needed before the price is set?

For our Troop that $8 goes into the general fund which buys patches and supports camping and activity fees. This can included propane, campsite fees, and other activity support. We try to keep camping or activity costs for the Scouts to an absolute minimum and keep our budget funded through our wreath sales.

wow... I'm glad my son is in the troop that he is in. We pay the annual recharter fee and that is it. If we want boy's life then we pay for that too.

for fundraisers we do the popcorn sale and then we have 3 popcan drives - weekends after new years, labor day, and memorial day. From those fundraisers 60% goes directly to the scout's account and 30% goes to the troop.

we charge for each campout - we have a set amount for setting food budgets based on number of meals and then we add in cost of campgrounds (if any) general upkeep (set amount for each trip) and then an extra little fee to help cover the gas for the person pulling the trailer.

when the troop has plenty of money it its account then they will do extras - this past summer they paid $25 for each boy going to summer camp or a HA camp and also paid for each boy's class b shirt.

my son participates in all the fundraisers and the only money I've had to pay is for some of the summer camp. otherwise the rest all comes from his scout account.