Fundraising Ideas???

Our pack sells popcorn in the fall but if we're going to meet our budget this year we need to raise a good amount of money this spring. Any suggestions on fundraisers that have been a positive experience for your scouts and filled up that bank account at the same time?

A couple of fundraisers that our troop does are...

May: Car Wash (something easy enough for Cubs to do w/ parents)

August: County Fair Parking

October: Popcorn

then ongoing fundraisers (canopy tent rentals and cartridge/cell phone recycling). Information for the recycling can be found at cartridgesforkids.com or empties4cash.com (we use three different companies for this fundraiser).

If you need more information contact be at bsatroop159@hotmail.com

We've had good luck with a spring plant/flower sale, teaming up with a local nursery. One "hot" item for mother's day gifts was a "flower of the month" card. People paid $20/$25 or so for the card and it entitled them to stop in at the nursery and get a specific item each month. People couldn't believe they could do that for such a low price and they sold really well. (The nursery made plenty of money on it too though - they told me most people who come in with their cards end up buying additional items while they're in the shop anyway.) Best part: NO DELIVERY NEEDED!

Lisa'bob

We have had great success with a spring Rummage/Garage Sale. We fill the school gym with rummage from our families. The only expense involved is a few classified ads. We net close to $2,000, and our families get to get rid of those unwanted treasures they have collected over the years. It's amazing how much stuff you can accumulate from year to year, and also amazing what people will buy!

Our troop does the following, and we have made between 200 - 400 on each event..

April - Spaghetti Dinner

July - Nachos & SNo Cones booth at Fire Department Booya

October - Chili Dinner

For the Spaghetti Dinner and the Chili Dinner, the scouts went out arond town, door to door and sold pre sale tickets for X amount and then we just raised it $1.00 for at the door.

On those 3 fundraisers alone, the troop made about $600.

And in the winter, October/November, the scouts sell christmas wreaths, and the money earned from that goes to the scouts individual accounts, no part goes to the troop.

Thats what we do.

Our Pack and Troop work together on two fundraisers a year. A spaghetti dinner on a Saturday after church services and a pancake breakfast on a Sunday after church. We average about $1500 to be split between us.

Tim

It seems like you're looking for some fast cash. The problem is, that generally comes from one-time, labor intensive efforts. Go ahead and use the great ideas above, but don't forget to think long term. You don't want to be writing this thread again in Jan. '07!

Look for ideas that can become self-fulfilling, or atleast Pack traditions. An ethnic dinner that reflects your neighborhood? An ecumenical dinner that brings together community leaders? An event that funds your Pack and FOS? Etc., etc. (and remember to check fundraising regs. - do it well, but do it right.)

Consider schoolpop.com. It most certainly is not a quick answer - though they do have an "E-bayish garage sale" function. The benefits are long-term, self-renewing, labor-free CASH.

We're all not only Leaders of the present Pack but "fore-fathers" of a future Pack -- Cubs 10 years from now are impacted by the choices we make today. Think of yourself as a Steward. The Pack's future is just as much your responsiblity as the Pack's present.

jd

• 1 month later...

When I was a boyscout, our troop was sponsored by the Methodist Church Mens Club. They put on a Chili Supper, and the scouts helped out by selling tickets before hand, ran the cash drawer, and waited and busted (cleanedup) the mens club did all the cooking. They keept the profits from this dinner, and about 2 months later, we did it again with the same arrangments, and we received all the profits.

You could do this with any civic organization, and this would give them extra man/boy power, increase the draw, and give the boys exposer to the food industry.

For Jamboree, my dad was an assistant SM. He found a place that sells first aide kits for fundraisers. There was a pack that you can pick five different items. Who doesn't need a first aide kit around the house??. One good seller were fire extinquishers. All you hade to do was point and spray, kind of like spraying hairspray at something. That is a funraiser we did to raise money to go to Jambo with, and they sold pretty good.

I'm the fundraising guy in our troop and here is what we have done in the past.

1 - Hoagie sales, we buy them for 1.00, work the corner on a Saturday morning starting at 10 o'clock. We sell 600 hoagies within two and a half hours every time. Profit per hoagie is $2.00, total profit 1,200.00

2. Last year for the first time we had a booth at a carnival. I cut a deal with the local Pizza Hut for large cheese or cheese and pepperoni pizza's. Pizza HUt let's us use a big insulated bag that holds about 10 pizzas at a time. We reorder as needed through out the day. We bought soda on sale, i think it was 4 cases for 10.00 and worked froom 11am to 10pm. We made 1000.00

This year we are doing three carnival booths, pizza and soda again in one booth, and games in the other booths. Expected revenue is about 3000.00

3. In seven weeks we are holding our first annual golf tournament. We expect to make 2000 to 4000 on the tournament.

4. We have the boys run and work a local pack's pinewood derby snack stand so the leaders there don't have to bother with it. The boys make about 150.00

5. We sold the first aid kits, bought for 4.00 solf for 8.00 - They were good. One for each car for each prospective customer and it's almost a guranteed two'fer sale.

6. Doing a car wash in the near future for the first time. Probably for $5.00 a car or maybe bake in a "lunch program", something like car wash for 5.00 or car wash, hoagie, bag of chips, soda for 10.00 - it will give customers something to do while their car get's washed. We'll see how that goes - still kicking it around.

OTHER

If you live near a Domino's pizza or Pizza hut pizza, look into their promorional cards. You buy them for about 4.00 and it entitles the buyer to get up to 10 free mediums everytime they order from there. I forget the web site at this moment. I'll try to remember it and edit my post.

Our local grocery stores allow us to buy prepaid cards in amounts of 50, 100, 200 dollars, whatever. The families buy them and we get a 3 to 5% kick back. The families are shopping there anyway so the troop earns a few bucks here and there. Collect the money from parents, order the cards and deliver them - no out of pocket expenses and no risk.

Thats all the time I have. Any questions, let me know and I'll be happy to help you out.

YIS

John

From

A pack with 102 scouts

A troop with 73 scouts

I'm the fundraising guy in our troop and here is what we have done in the past.

1 - Hoagie sales, we buy them for 1.00, work the corner on a Saturday morning starting at 10 o'clock. We sell 600 hoagies within two and a half hours every time. Profit per hoagie is $2.00, total profit 1,200.00

2. Last year for the first time we had a booth at a carnival. I cut a deal with the local Pizza Hut for large cheese or cheese and pepperoni pizza's. Pizza HUt let's us use a big insulated bag that holds about 10 pizzas at a time. We reorder as needed through out the day. We bought soda on sale, i think it was 4 cases for 10.00 and worked froom 11am to 10pm. We made 1000.00

This year we are doing three carnival booths, pizza and soda again in one booth, and games in the other booths. Expected revenue is about 3000.00

3. In seven weeks we are holding our first annual golf tournament. We expect to make 2000 to 4000 on the tournament.

4. We have the boys run and work a local pack's pinewood derby snack stand so the leaders there don't have to bother with it. The boys make about 150.00

5. We sold the first aid kits, bought for 4.00 solf for 8.00 - They were good. One for each car for each prospective customer and it's almost a guranteed two'fer sale.

6. Doing a car wash in the near future for the first time. Probably for $5.00 a car or maybe bake in a "lunch program", something like car wash for 5.00 or car wash, hoagie, bag of chips, soda for 10.00 - it will give customers something to do while their car get's washed. We'll see how that goes - still kicking it around.

OTHER

If you live near a Domino's pizza or Pizza hut pizza, look into their promorional cards. You buy them for about 4.00 and it entitles the buyer to get up to 10 free mediums everytime they order from there. I forget the web site at this moment. I'll try to remember it and edit my post.

Our local grocery stores allow us to buy prepaid cards in amounts of 50, 100, 200 dollars, whatever. The families buy them and we get a 3 to 5% kick back. The families are shopping there anyway so the troop earns a few bucks here and there. Collect the money from parents, order the cards and deliver them - no out of pocket expenses and no risk.

Thats all the time I have. Any questions, let me know and I'll be happy to help you out.

YIS

John

From

A pack with 102 scouts

A troop with 73 scouts

• 2 weeks later...

Contact your local Pump It Up Party Zone, it's an awesome indoor play area with these giant inflated play structures. Find one nearest you at www.pumpitupparty.com

They all do fundraising events, some as easy as selling tickets for playtime and can raise as much as $800 in one night for playing!

In MN, contact Oakdale or Eden Prairie - they give cash back to organizations if you just hand out their brochures to all your kids. Then if anyone books a party (and mentions your group) Pump It Up writes you a check for $10 each time!

Can't get any easier than that!

• 1 month later...

Our pack recently held a car wash/bake sale. We simply stated on the signs "Free Car Wash - Donations Accepted." We had people paying upto $10 to $20 per car. We did the same thing with the cookies and brownies our families baked. We had donations of $1 to $20 per baggie, which contained one big brownie or two cookies. Our car wash/bake sale was held at our local Auto Zone, who provided the water, soap, sponges and brushes. We only supplied the hose, buckets and labor. The event was held on a Saturday morning from 10 am-Noon. The weather turned cold on us, but I don't think it really hurt the profit. We made $200 in two hours. The one thing we decided we would do differently next time was to hold it from 11 AM - 2 PM and grab the lunch crowd from nearby restaurants and shoppers from the Walmart and Lowes across the street.

Our next fundraiser is going to be in conjunction with Wendy's. We bus the tables from 5 PM to 8 PM and receive a portion of all sales during that time.