Mandatrory fundraising

Maybe that Troop is saving up money to build their own Scout Lodge or Hut?? We were sitting on a sizeable balance, and used some of the money to purchase a nice computer projector. We use it at nearly every Pack meeting, and even had an "Outdoor Movie Night" this past summer, which went over very well. We raise a fair amount of money, but we also spend it. I want an exciting program for the boys, not a large balance in the checking account. It is hard for me to make Scouting one of the most exciting and rewarding experiences in their lives without spending some money.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My beef with mandatory fundraising quotas and buyouts is that they tend to assume either that the parents are able to afford the buyout, or that the family can provide a social- or work-related sales network for the boys to exploit. This is especially true with fundraising events that stress an experience rather than selling a tangible product. (For example, participating in a road rally, or a jeopardy-style trivia night, at $10 or $20/person - these kinds of events are increasingly popular where I live).

In the long term, the boy who doesn't have family to rely on for a customer base, or whose parents can't afford the buy-outs may end up gaining more from the experience of having to struggle to pay his own way. I agree that this can be healthy in certain situations. But, when organized poorly, it can also be really stressful for the boy and his family. Parents may decide not to join, or to quit if they did join, rather than have to explain their financial difficulties to the child (especially at the cub level). I have also seen it become a sort of status marker within a group of older boys. "Oh, you had to sell the stuff because you're too poor. Ha ha." I'm sure unintentionally, the lesson becomes that it is good to have well-connected parentsnot that the boys should be thrifty and hard working.

So if you're going to make something mandatory and/or have a buy-out or quota , you'd better make darn sure that you also provide plenty of opportunities for the boys to participate and work toward that quota even if their family can't pony up the money or provide a ready-made sales network for the boys.

Lisa'bob

A good old bobwhite too!

Lisa brings up some good points. I do not support the parental buyout option. Either the scout earns his OWN way...or not. Allowing Mommy to carry your butt should no longer be an option at the Boy Scout level. It's not about money...it's about teaching self-reliance and responsibility. The PLC designs the program, which includes figuring out how to pay for it.

So Hunt --- how does your Troop mulch sale work?

Twenty years ago, the troop where I was Scoutmaster had an annual Christmas Tree sale. The largest grocery store in the area gave us space, and the troop met all its financial needs from the sale. Scouts did a lot of the tree moving sorting and sales work, while adults supervised.

That worked fine.

Seattle Pioneer