Fundraising - Is the Product or the Organization

In our case, we give about 1/3 back to the boys in prizes, leaving about $2500 for the pack. This pays for Pinewood Derby trophies, B&G Banquet meat, a portion of their crossover items, summer activities, a family campout, fall roundup items, etc. All with little additional fees being assessed. Is it worth it, I say yes. I remember my first year as Cubmaster when I had to survive from October to January with less than $100.

The answer is WHY NOT?

Its not only badges and pinewood derby cars.

Its also trips to a rodeo, a semi-pro hockey game, a semi-pro baseball game where they stayed overnight on the field and watched sports movies on the giant screen, and a college basketball game. Its all their handbooks and neckerchiefs when they graduate to the next rank. It was a great Blue and Gold catered dinner with a ventriloquist for entertainment and door prizes for every cub. It is a huge discount for any scouts going to day camp. Its a full program library for every den leader, and funds for den projects and supplies. The packs financial plan is to spend all but $1200 this year on the scouts who earned the money and then start again fresh in the fall with a new Popcorn drive.

I personally don't like popcorn sales. Every time my troop has done it recently it was nothing but a mess. It requires a large amount of effort for very little return. Generally most reported after popcorn sales that only a very small fraction of all those approached actually agreed to buy. I know that matches my own experience.

It isn't just the Scout parents that think it is overpriced. The customers also think so. Most people I have asked to buy popcorn would not do so because of the cost, or they simply bought the cheepest thing because the felt guilt tripped into doing it.

There are far too many groups that sell things that can be eaten as is. The GS sell cookies. Every sports team in town sells candy. Many youth groups sell candy. At least one other group has been known to sell popcorn, but at much better prices.

GS cookies are an American institution, maybe even raising to the level of an icon. That gives it the ability to sell even despite the poor value. However, GS cookies have another significant advantage over BS popcorn, they are really, really good. Everyone has a favorite type of GS cookies. Most people have never heard of BS popcorn and could care less.

You don't hear about people being upset for not being asked to buy BS popcorn, but I have heard people complain that no one sold them any cookies.

For my unit it is far better to do other types of fundraisers. We sell Christmas trees and now some wreaths. The level of income is relatively stable from year to year, even when the number of troop members fluctuates. We are able to offer competitive pricing and still make a large profit. It is also done during the time of year we have the least opportunity for things like high adventure.

The troop has also discovered it can make a killing doing things like selling barbequed pork chops. The product is at a competitive price. People are always willing to buy a good meal. It only takes a single day of all out effort for a very good return.

Now for some units popcorn is a good system. It is a ready to go fundraiser. In some places there is even real support from district and council. (beyond the "please sell popcorn because it makes us both money") It provides a fundraiser that can easily have individual sales incentives built in to it. It does provide funds for both the unit and council. The added support means the volunteers and pros at the council can spend less time fundraising and more time working on program.

I've been involved with Trail's End for more than a few years. We've never had bad luck with it, if the Scouts get out and sell. I know Scouts who have sold $500 or $600 in a couple evenings. For the Scout, that nets $75 or $80 in his Scout account.

Including money in Scout account and his Wal-Mart gift cards, my son netted about $600. The troop got about $300. He's happy because he has his own money to spend on camping gear. I'm happy because I don't have to cough up $75 every year for new boots.

However, selling popcorn door-to-door or at a booth is about more than just making money. It helps the boy learn to talk to people, answer questions and understand that sometimes the answer is no.

Maybe it's the area that I live in but most people understand that 70% of the money is a donation to the organization. They also know that you can't buy popcorn this good at stores.

Also, I wouldn't put out a can with "Donations" marked on it. That looks like you are soliciting contributions which is not permitted. On the other hand, I never say "no" to a donation.

When I was a Cubmaster we sold cookies as our big fundraiser. We paid $0.25 for a package of 2 cookies (about 5" in diameter each) and sold them for $0.50. 50% profit! They were easy to sell and the price was right.

Trails End popcorn is a good product. What I don't like is the price & the profit margin we get is 39%! Most other fundraisers are at 50% and up! And since EVERYONE has their hand out, the less amount of fundraising with the greatest profit makes sense!

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

Not to beat a dead horse, but keep in mind that the profit on popcorn is 70%, split between the unit, the council and the Scout.

I had a dad in our pack who is a ASM with the troop tell me this year that "he" wasn't selling popcorn out of protest. I asked if he would be writing the pack a check for the $100 or so his protest was costing us. I also told him I'd remind him not to complain when the council starting charging his troop to camp at the council's camps.

I think most folks know that with all fundraising products they're probably going to pay a bit more than they otherwise may. In four years selling popcorn, I heard complaints about the cost of the popcorn only a handful of times. I will say that I think the Trail's End popcorn is superior to that we buy in the store. I think that probably has to do with freshness and the fact that the popcorn left the processor maybe three or four days before we begin selling it.

As far as comparing Boy Scout popcorn to Girl Scout cookies, I think in our area anyway, BS popcorn is beginning to build a similar recognition factor as GS cookies. And yes, we do have people call and ask when we will be selling it.

Ed, one of the things that you have to think about with popcorn is the BIG PICTURE. A good chunk of the profit goes to Council to pay for your DE, camps, etc.. The more popcorn that you sell, the less they'll come after you for FOS.