Obamacare passes muster

If in Florida, I hear from a friend of mine, cheap and in and out in less then an hour.. (could be his local hospital, with quick.. But why cheap there?..) (His family has no insurance, or money.)

If in other areas, I am surprised if you are not still sitting in the waiting room.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moosetracker, it was in another country with real socialized medicine.

1. There was no wait.

2. They asked for name and local address. Passports were used for ID. The forms took maybe 5 minutes while they were working on the patient(s).

3. No one even mentioned insurance or residency.

4. As we checked out from the hospital, we merely gathered our things and waved goodbye. No charge.

After the stitches, casts, x-rays, antiseptics, antibiotics, pain killers, time in surgery and hospital beds (not to mention dental work), no charge.

Every citizen (and evidently every guest) is eligible.

Now I will grant that in this very poor country (second only to Haiti in the region) your chances of getting an MRI or some high-tech surgical procedure would be slim, probably would require travel to another country. But for the kind of basic care many of us need some time in our lives, there is no check for coverage, no rejection because of pre-existing conditions...and no charge.

So as far as the ACA is concerned, there were a few Americans who began to see things differently this summer.

Yah, havin' taken scouts to hospitals on international trips I have to admit that packsaddle is right, eh? By and large the experience is an order of magnitude easier and more pleasant than anywhere in the U.S., with dramatically lower costs (if any). And there are no real ER waits like there are in urban U.S. areas, largely because folks there don't need to use the ER for ordinary medical care for da uninsured.

Just don't expect to get that coronary angioplasty, hip replacement, or laproscopic knee ligament re-build.

B

Oh.. Out of country, that's different. I have heard good & bad with that.. Some countries have long waits with people going to them to put a bandaide on a scratch.. Others are very well run & organized..

Years ago, we were in Canadia when hubby got swimmers ear. Went to the drugstore to find over the counter, (because at home he had to get a Dr. appt. for a prescription for the normal stuff he used..) The drugstore was able to give him his normal prescription without the prescription.. He looked at the ear, figured out what was needed and prescribed it..

Canada spends less per capita on medical care than the U.S. Maybe there are some things that they could do better but they've certainly done a better job of controlling costs than we have. And I haven't seen that Canadians are any less healthy than their neighbors to the south.