Honorary president of the BSA comes out in favor of gay marriage

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mitt Romney is NOT an Eagle Scout - Mitt himself has said this a couple of times. He's stated that his 3 youngest boys became Eagle Scouts but that he and his 2 oldest boys did not become Eagle Scouts. He's admitted that he should have been an Eagle Scout but manipulated his mother into not forcing him to attend Scout meetings (manipulated is his word, not a paraphrase in case any one thinks I'm trying to portray him in a negative light on this). The first mention of Mitt being an Eagle Scout is in Rick Perry's book (an actual Eagle Scout) who took Mitt (a "fellow Eagle Scout") to task for not letting the Boy Scouts volunteer at the Olympics that Romney was in charge of (Mitt's defense, and I accept it, is that the minimum age for volunteers was 18 which made the Scouts too young).

So regardless of any "internet disagreements", in Mitt's own words and by his own admission, he is not an Eagle Scout.

Now would you care to explain what exactly President Obama has done that makes you think he doesn't support the Boy Scouts? Please be specific about actions and statements directed at the BSA he's made, and not extrapolate based on unrelated policy statements that you think show a lack of support.

Calico; They cannot give you anything of veracity; just the made up stuff thrown all over the net, and the negative opinions about such things as his not actually attending the Jambo in 2010. I for one was glad we did not have to deal with the security issues that would have caused; but his taped presentation was supportive, just as much so as others.

There are some here that will not like anything he does, even if it was a direct result of a republican suggestion, just because he did it. They will claim they are not prejudiced, but their comments and actions indicate otherwise.

It is just sad that we really have had few real choices for leadership at any level beyond local for years. Choose the lesser of the evils, so to speak. Unless we can find some way to get the professional politicians out of control, not much will change, IMO. Similar in a way to much of the difficult to stomach National stuff coming from people with little or no actual Scouting experience, especially in the trenches.

Oh well; we still are for the most part run the program locally with very good results.

That's one of the reasons I like Romney. He's a manager. In fact the lack of 'passion' that so many criticize him for is a virtue in my view. I want a dispassionate manager. I want someone who will make those hard decisions that have to be made...without kicking it even further to future generations. I think Romney IS dispassionate, cold, and calculating enough to be the kind manager we need. And I like it.

Me, "he is definitely more supportive toward scouts than the current president."

Calico, "Now would you care to explain what exactly President Obama has done that makes you think he doesn't support the Boy Scouts?"

The first thing that comes to mind is skipping the Jamboree.

Calico, "Please be specific about actions and statements directed at the BSA he's made, and not extrapolate based on unrelated policy statements that you think show a lack of support."

So you are looking for an actual quote? Not sure he had a hot mic at the time.

Skeptic, "They cannot give you anything of veracity; just the made up stuff thrown all over the net, and the negative opinions about such things as his not actually attending the Jambo in 2010. I for one was glad we did not have to deal with the security issues that would have caused; but his taped presentation was supportive, just as much so as others."

It looks like you two are trying to cover all the bases.

Skeptic, "Choose the lesser of the evils, so to speak. Unless we can find some way to get the professional politicians out of control, not much will change, IMO."

Well, we have a professional politician now. It has put us in a pretty deep hole. A businessman is running against him with a great amount of past success. Let's give a non-politician a try.

Non-politician! He was also the Governor of Massachusetts! He ran for the U.S. Senate in 1994. There is no way you can do those things without being a politician!

But yeah even though I will support Obama it fries my shorts he didn't attend 100th anniversary Jambo.

Mr Boyce: So if you don't want to read it, don't read it. It's a legitimate topic for "Issues and Politics", even if Merlyn had not cleverly tied the subject to the BSA.

As for "trolling" -- meaning starting a thread for the purpose of getting a reaction -- I'd say at least half the threads started in "Issues and Politics" fall into that category to one degree or another. What else is new?

"The first thing that comes to mind is skipping the Jamboree."

Then you must really hate Ronald Reagan who didn't personally attend a BSA Jamboree during his two terms of office. President Obama, following a tradition set down by many Presidents before him, sent a personal address that was shown at the Jamboree - and the last time a President attended the Jamboree, it became a security nightmare for the Scouts that were there - I'd think not attending personally at this point is more supportive of the Scouts by not putting them through the security nightmare that is a Presidential visit.

The whole non-issue of the President not attending the Jamboree was instigated by right wing bloggers that would find fault with President Obama if he announced tomorrow that he had personally discovered the cure for cancer. They rather conveniently ignored President Obama meeting a Cub Scout, Boy Scout, OA Youth Representative, Venturer (and a female at that) and Sea Scout in the Oval Office just two weeks before celebrating the BSA's 100-year anniversary, the second visit by Boy Scout contingents since taking office at the beginning of 2009.

"Calico, "Please be specific about actions and statements directed at the BSA he's made, and not extrapolate based on unrelated policy statements that you think show a lack of support."

So you are looking for an actual quote? Not sure he had a hot mic at the time."

In other words, you got nothing, you got nada, to support your contention. If I were you, I'd sue your school teachers for not teaching you the skills needed to prevent you from embarassing yourself in public like this.