Putting the trangender shoe on the other foot

If you as SMs, CMs, and CCs were presented with a child who dressed as a boy, wore a boy's hair cut, talked about boy things, acted like a typical boy, but were then told the child was actually a biological girl, she just preferred to do boy things and wanted to be with boys, what would you say?

Yes he can join.

or

No, Cub and Boy Scouts are boy centered organizations. Your child can join as a Venturer in late middle school.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well here you go:

http://www.9news.com/news/article/226301/188/Boy-wanting-to-join-Girl-Scouts-told-no

>>Recently, Archuleta wanted to sign Bobby up for Girl Scouts. His older sister did it, and Bobby really wanted to join. Archuleta told 9NEWS when she brought Bobby to register, a troop leader told her Bobby couldn't join.

"I said, 'Well, what's the big deal?' She said 'It doesn't matter how he looks, he has boy parts, he can't be in Girl Scouts. Girl Scouts don't allow that [and] I don't want to be in trouble by parents or my supervisor,'" Archuleta told 9NEWS.

If the child was 6-11, no because the parents are pushing a controversial agenda and I would never allow anyone in a unit that is looking for controversy, and they're goofy for telling their daughter she can be a boy anyways.

If the child was 11-14, it's a no because she'll still be developing as a female and while she may not be self-conscious about her new womanly development, it will certainly distract the boys. Boys of that age are shut down completely when near a girl, even if the girl thinks she's a boy.

If the person is 14-21, a crew works just fine.

"If they were serious about scouting and the kinds of things we do as a unit, I'd let anyone in."

*** This sounds exactly like the response GSUSA has made. Can I assume then that you'd think nothing of your Tenderfoot eleven year old sharing his tent with an eleven year old girl? Call me old-fashioned, but aren't there any limits in your world?

BDPT00

EMERGENCY!

We need to find a way to engineer a news blackout in Irving, TX to prevent this story about a boy being accepted into GSA from reaching BSA National. They would choke on their own drool dreaming of the enrollment numbers if BSA had to accept all the younger girls that wanted in...

Half the girls act like boys look like boys and do boys things now.. Half because girlie stuff stinks and is boring.. The other half because most societies (including ours) still prefers boys over girls.. Girls dressing & acting like boys is called being a Tom-boy, and it is acceptable.

It's the boys wanting to be girls that have people freaked out.. Oh.. Ick.. What's the matter with that one..

All girls who want to do boy things I would love to let in, but BSA would have to change policy.. And we all know that the conservative group would get their panties in a spin on that one..

Better watch those tomboy girls, they might whipp up the boys when it comes to sports! :)

My wife was a tomboy. Loved to do all the cool stuff boys do instead of pretty dresses and dolls.

She played softball, volleyball and flag football.

She liked motorcycles and fourwheeling and was just as comfortable in the woods as any other boy was.

Maybe that's why we get along so great!

But, I would do just like I would in all other aspects of the rules: Say no.

Would I think having an active girl in our pack would be cool? You betcha!

Would I be bothered by a gay leader? No, but if he tells me he is.....again it comes to the rule thing.

Same with an athiest. Same with anything I probably wouldn't know about.

But you can't help but notice a girl is a girl ( most of the time).

Here's my stance, I do not always agree with or like all the rules, but I follow them ( as far as I know).

If mom and dad get mad, I can say : "Hey, don't blame me, I do not make the rules, but I HAVE TO follow them, lest I get fired."

"Can I assume then that you'd think nothing of your Tenderfoot eleven year old sharing his tent with an eleven year old girl?"

If the Tenderfoot is another girl, no problem. What's your point? I'm not sure what 'rank' has to do with this.

"Call me old-fashioned, but aren't there any limits in your world?" No, there are limits. But I set them neither in a purely arbitrary manner nor based simply in prejudice.

This discussion is incredible.

The joining requirements start with the phrase "Be a boy..." Last time I checked, gender was determined by biology. Call me a Luddite I guess...

Might as well call everybody the It Scouts and shove em all together under the same umbrella...

Oh no, birthers applied to scouting! Ahg!

Honestly I would feel bad for the kid, but I wouldn't register them with the cub pack or scout troop. Why? Because they don't meet the requirement.

I would:

a) invite them to attend and participate in any family events we hold (and at the cub level, there are a LOT of these)

b) try to help them find a really outdoorsy and strong program that isn't gender specific (or a great girl scout troop - those do exist)

c) keep communication open with them so they can join a crew the day they turn 14

One other note. Being a tom-boy is in a different universe than being transgender. Tomboys like to go and do the fun stuff that is sort of culturally "boy-ish." Transgendered people psychologically identify themselves as being the other sex. One might like to play baseball and go fishing and wear jeans and sneakers all the time (tomboy) without thinking that one is really a male put into the wrong anatomical form (transgender).