Eagle Scouts for Rick Perry

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is inappropriate. Scouting is about the boys. Boys and their families come in all (political) shapes and sizes. Just like religion. Don't want the "brand" to be associated with one side or it ends up discouraging future scouts who do not agree with you.

No. This suggestion is horribly innappropriate. Rick Perry does not need the endorsement of Eagle Scouts.

Rick Perry also deserves no alignment with the TEA Party, as he is a big government goon and former Democrat. Were you aware he was a Campaign Chairman for Al Gore's 1988 Presidential Campaign? I'm not saying that's a good or bad thing, I'm just pointing out that he is being misrepresented by being put in the light he's being put in.

It's popular now to be small government, but Perry isn't small government and so is pretending to be.

If you want to vote for four more years of the Bush and 3rd Term Bush (Obama) status quo, then back Perry.

Yah, interestin' BS-87. Like I said, I'm not particularly familiar with Governor Perry. Perhaps someone who is can give a summary. I figured he was a Tea Party favorite because of da ranting of the mainstream media, but apparently not? More a social conservative and an economic liberal then?

Anybody want to give an ignorant northern critter a summary of da pros and cons of the governor and his positions on issues?

Beavah

Beavah, Calico gave you a start in his post. In addition, Perry organized Three Days of Prayer for Rain that began back on Earth Day. Needless to say, the response from the Almighty was...well...with a 'dry' sense of humor. He also decided to pray for the markets and the following Monday they lost over 600 points. I'd really like him to stop doing us favors.

There is another really interesting statistic too: he has presided over more executions than any other governor, ever...even Dubya. Of course, this just puts more shine on him for some of us.

The secession thing, I think, was the best one of all, though. I'm thinking, Oh please, oh please!

Packsaddle,

My uncle in Odessa, TX told me they had rain the other day. Check out the article and picture:

Prayers Answered: Texas Finally Gets Some Rain

http://www.urbanchristiannews.com/ucn/2011/08/prayers-answered-texas-finally-gets-some-rain.html

caption: Xavier Swain, 11, holds his hands in the air during a downpour Thursday in Odessa, Texas. The official rain total from the National Weather Service at nearby Midland International Airport reported .36 inches of rain, the most since September 25, 2010. (Albert Cesare / The Odessa American via AP)

Looks to me like the prayers were answered.

The prayers may have been answered, but 0.36 inches of rain certainly doesn't solve the drought problem. Seems to be either a tepid response from God, or else the prayer was intercepted by Lucifer and he's not afraid to mess with Texas.

(oh, and before anyone accuses me of partisanship, I would do the same exercise for any Eagle Scout candidate that someone suggests deserves a look see for Eagle Scout values).

Whether I agree with Governor Perry or not on the issues matters not a whit.

I agree with Beavah and BadenP. Scouting is a place to educate youth about Citizenship, it's not a place to advocate a candidate.

All "Eagle Scouts for" or "Boy Scouts for" partisan political candidates need to come down. Period.

Perry was the Texas chairman for Gore's campaign, back when he was a Democratic member of the Texas House of Representatives. My understanding is that a lot of conservative Democrats hitched their stars to Gore's campaign, as the alternatives at that point were Michael Dukakis and Jesse Jackson.

Perry became a Republican a year later, and then was elected statewide as Texas agriculture commissioner in 1990.

I don't know much about Perry, other than he privatized some state highways in Texas (which resulted in a greater long-term loss for the state).

Scouting and politics are oil and water; they don't mix.

I say that and Perry doesn't look too disagreeable to me, other than this botched privatization.