Superman is no longer an American...

When will it end? We have a president who is not eligible to be president and now we have Superman Aka Clark Kent renouncing his... his... wait, Obama is eligible to be president and we still have the Constitution that allows for Freedom of Speech...

Wait, thats it, if all the people outraged that Superman renounces his citizenry do not buy the comic book and sales plummet 70% or so, I see him draped in an American flag quite quickly.

in The last SUperman movie, didnt they drop "the American Way" in that one? I guess its just a matter of time. Imagine if Mr and Mrs Ivan Tratkinsky had found him, what a story that would have been...

I of course don't plan on buying any Superman Comic Books, of course, I have not bought any for about 40-50 years so I guess my boycott is moot

"Imagine if Mr and Mrs Ivan Tratkinsky had found him, what a story that would have been..."

It's obvious that you don't follow the comic book series OGE. We don't have to imagine it, DC already has done so in a series call Superman: Red Son back in 2003.

I didn't even know that Superman had ever become a naturalized citizen of the US.

But now for the rest of the story. I've seen the panels - I've seen the relevant part of the story. The story line goes like this:

The people of Iran start holding a demonstration much like the demonstrations we've seen in Egypt and other Arab countries. Superman - on his own - decides to join the demonstration as a sign of solidarity with the people of Iran. He flies into the demonstration and just stands there for 24 hours. He takes no action other than to stand there for 24 hours. The demonstration grows while he is there - some folks toss him roses, some toss green cloth (a symbol of the protest), some toss molotov cocktails at him - but the Iranian military does nothing. His presence apparently just guarantees a peaceful protest - and really doesn't lead to any change.

After 24 hours he leaves.

He then has a meeting with a national security advisor who informs Superman that the government of Iran is accusing Superman of doing this on the President's behalf and are calling it an act of war by the US.

Superman says he is tired of his actions being construed as being part of US policy. He isn't saying this because he opposes US policy (as perhaps some in the media, leaving this explanation out, are hoping people will conclude). He's saying that he is tired of people thinking the US has anything to do with any actions he undertakes. That he doesn't want people to think he went to Iran because the US told him to go to Iran.

If read closely, Superman's renouncing of his "citizenship" has as much to do with a desire to insulate the US from criticism over actions they had nothing to do with when Superman does something, as it does for Superman's desire to be thought of as a citizen of the world (or universe if you will) and not as a puppet of any one government.

Folks are already calling for a boycott of DC. Chances are most of those folks haven't picked up a comic book in years. Chances are most of those folks wouldn't be able to comprehend what they read anyway, if they were to read the comic book.

Whatever happened to the good old days of $.25 comic books ? Remember those?

Heros were just heros..for truth and Justice. Now days, they are moody mental cases who have issues and are angst ridden , love saturated sex crazed drama hounds!

Remember who Batman used to chase?

The Mad Hatter. He stiole hats! :)

Now Batman is too busy worrying about wether Robin has a bigger codpiece or if woderwoman is secretrly chasing after Auqaman ...or worse, is Batgirl really Batmans secret love child from Woodstock?

If she is, Batman is goona ground her because she has a thing for Twoface and his cool . hip styling split personality!

• 3 weeks later...

Was watching a little of X-Men or Fantastic 4 movies on television with my 19 year old son last weekend (it was raining outside). I asked him if anyone his age or younger read comic books any more and he said not really.

Talking to some younger folk at work (late 20s) and they said that comic books now are more like PG-13 with sex, rape, murder, etc. and not really appropriate for 8 - 12 year olds like back in the dinosaur days of my youth.

Is there credence to this?