Whats the point (or I am a SKEPTIC)

Yah, I had forgotten about my show me da rule post until OGE bumped all these old threads, eh? Alzheimers I guess.

Da three threads that OGE bumped show exactly the point I was tryin' to make, though, so I'll thank him for that. Often at Scouter.Com we tell troop committees and Scoutmasters that there is little need for unit bylaws, policies, etc. beyond da BSA materials and the Oath and Law. If I remember correctly, Eamonn, OGE, and FScouter are some of the most vocal on that particular point.

And yet here we are, generating a new bylaw/policy out of whole cloth just because one thread went off da rails. Our hypocrisy is so loud that any "point" we're trying to make can't be heard, eh?

Of da three threads OGE bumped, only one of 'em was offensive. Da one about Ed was gently chiding in a friendly way, the one about me was just humorous. So we've followed da typical path of the "zero tolerance policy" folks that we all decry and banned threads with forum member pseudonyms in da title.

Is that really the example we want to set in our little community? Surely da moderators aren't brain-dead nitwits, eh? I trust that they can distinguish between a thread that has become offensive, one that is humorous, and one that is just da quick move of a topic that a particular member is interested in so it doesn't hijack da original thread. What better way to alert the member to the new thread then use his or her pseudonym, especially if yeh know he doesn't follow all da threads?

So I appeal to our group of moderators to stick by their own and our collective values, eh? Resist the temptation to impose extra, unwritten, no-tolerance policies and just use your knowledge of da Scout Oath and Law like we expect every adult volunteer in da organization to do. And, as has been discussed before, then sign your name and your reasoning to it without resortin' to some made-up policy excuse, whether it's da "insurance won't cover..." or da "no eponymous threads" tripe.

What says da group?

Beavah

(hee hee... apologies to Skeptic for borrowin' his moniker for the point, eh? But it illustrates how absurd this can get if we start closin' all the threads like this, since many of us use common words as monikers).

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I just do not know what to think about all this, but I do feel that the discussion's comments on both sides leave something out that renders them of questionable value and so I cannot really weigh in well, due to my misgivings about the veracity of most of the statements made; so I guess I will wait and see if anything appears that can open my mind to accepting one comment or another; but not likely, as it is just too "fuzzy logical" in its presentation from all facets of the discussion, so let us simply agree, or disagree, but take it all as "a grain of salt"; so I am off to try and find meaty content on how to be a Scouter in all ways and manner.

Merry Christmas; if you are skeptical of Christmas, then Happy Holiday; just remember that the word Christmas includes the real "Reason for the Season".

Oh, for Heaven's sake!!

"Zero tolerance"?

Moderators are "brain-dead nitwits"?

You're complaining that you can't use the forums to publicly disparage a fellow forum member. Why is that important to you to disparage another person?

"Holiday-time camping in Beavah-land" which was certainly someone pushing the envelope

A commonly used, self-referential statement is "Pushing the envelope?", eh? Well, I guess that makes my point quite well, thanks.

Best watch out for them plastic spork/knife thingies in school lunches. Pushin' da envelope. Knives, after all, are weapons, and those plastic kiddie-camping things have "knife" in the title. :)

Edited to add:

Yah, FScouter, check your glasses, eh? I said "moderators aren't brain-dead nitwits". Yeh really shouldn't be callin' yourself names. ;)

Beavah(This message has been edited by Beavah)

Beavah,

It is VERY clear that despite your carefully chosen wording, that you consider OGE, and now me as well, to be "brain-dead nitwits" that can't distinguish "between a thread that has become offensive, [and] one that is humorous".

Frankly, I find it particularly offensive when a person uses subtle language and carefully chosen phrasing for the purpose of demeaning another person, or his ideas or motivations, whether it be Merlyn, or OGE, or me, or any one of many others that you don't agree with. Your messages are very clear and couching them is niceties or folksy terms or smiley faces really doesn't diminish the underlying nastiness.

Thanks Merlyn, for those words of peace, not to mention the sense of humor.

Ed, you have to understand that the moderators are not perfect and that each of us has a personal and different perception of each other. And you also have to understand...I could be alone in this...but sometimes when you and Merlyn start going at it hammer and tong, I just tune it out and go somewhere else. Sorry.

Regarding eponymous thread titles, it is a judgment call and now it's done. I always maintain and try personally to be critical of ideas not people and, yes, I know I fail at it sometimes. It's what I try for anyway. I think that is the spirit of the 'rule' and if it didn't get applied the way someone thinks is correct, I offer my thick skin for your whips and chains. Believe me, there's nothing any of you could write that could come even close to the wrath of my wife. :)

Hi Vicki! I'm still working really hard on that sexist claptrap thing!(This message has been edited by packsaddle)

As a relative newcomer to these forums I have been amazed by the level of personal insults and general lack of decorum here. What shocks me is that this is supposed to be a Scouting forum were people who believe in a common set of values come together to discuss things of mutual interest.

Obviously an "Issues and Politics" thread is going to generate debate. However, going through the Scouting-topic threads shows plenty of evidence of people who seemingly wait at their keyboards for the next opportunity to whip out the rule books or generally make people feel stupid with "I can't believe you would do that"-type responses, rather than be helpful.

I participate in many other forums related to personal interests and hobbies, as I'm sure many of you all do, and this forum is by far the one where the dialog degrades so quickly and frequently. Again, this is surprising given the shared code of conduct we all supposedly believe in via Scouting laws and promises.

That's just my opinion as someone who has only been exploring here for a few weeks. Those with a few years and a few thousand posts may see things differently...

Wait a second here - "mas" is the "reason for the season"? I always thought the reason for the season was because the earths rotation changed plunging the northern hemisphere into a cold and monochromatic winter and bringing greenery into the house and putting up bright lights helped keep people generally happy during the darkest days of the year, and now we're being told it's all because of "mas"?

And what the heck is "mas" anyway?