Thought you all might like this one...

I've been fretting about the really deplorable state of the economy in my neck of the woods. Some places are apparently experiencing a recovery. MI is not one of them. Unemployment, foreclosures, and state budget crises continue to mount here. This week, the state legislature is trying to figure out how much more to cut state education budgets (something to which I'm deeply opposed). The state has been on a downward slope the whole 10 years I've been here and it is beginning to be a little depressing.

Well, today I heard a report about air quality in MI. The report noted that 7 Michigan counties are in violation of EPA standards for particulate matter. The report continued on to say that the state of MI figured this would be fixed within a year and that part of the reason for the quick turnaround was that a lot of older factories had recently closed, due to the economy, and were not expected to ever re-open.

There ya go. High unemployment + terrible economy = cleaner air.

I knew there was a silver lining in there somewhere.

(ETA: OOPS! I meant to put this in the Issues & Politics forum. Mods, please feel free to relocate this thread.)(This message has been edited by lisabob)

I heard a statement from DC that the great rescission is over, sadly this is a depression and recovery will take a while

In the city I live in, many of the subdivisions platted in 2006/2007 now have less than 50% occupancy.

We are also enjoying cleaner air because many people have left the state.

My apologies to all who expected to read about silver thread or the new lining on special scout socks or something.

I really don't know how this post ended up in this forum. Obviously I goofed somehow. Mods? Hello? A little help?

I also heard our trade deficit was lower because we are not importing nearly as much oil.

Of course, none of this helps the folks in industries in your neck of the woods Lisa.

I also thought you had discovered a new BSA award: The Silver Lining ;)

(duking and running)