Religion and Facebook

Yeah, but mom, only my FRIENDS can see my page.

And he is correct! He does understand!

There is no way he can control what his friends do! There is no way to control what my friends do! But if my friends are passing along stuff I don't want them to pass along then I don't let those friends know that stuff.

"Facebook is how i found out my sister went into labor last night.

Still waiting...."

Nolesrule, no Twitter updates by the father from the Labor Room?

Boy, is your family old fashioned

11:15 She is screaming her head off

11:17 Still Sceaming

11:21 Screaming Still

11:28 More of Same

11:38 Doc in Room

11:45 Pushing

11:48 Crowning

12:02 Hey, That isnt MY wife?

(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

OGE, that's classic. I might actually use that when my second comes at the end of the month, just to play a joke on people.

He is on twitter, but it's quite possible my sister has broken every finger in both of his hands so that he couldn't text. :)

We can't be that old fashioned. My 81 year old grandmother is on Facebook. Surprisingly, she uses it more than my wife does.

Our family couldn't survive without Facebook at this point. My sister is in labor in Atlanta, my brother's wife is due Oct. 5 in Orlando and we're scheduled for 4 weeks from today.

Even if you yourself don't put some information out there, it could still be out there:

http://law.fordham.edu/newsroom/7424.htm

This spring, the students of an elective course on Internet privacy at Fordham Law School experienced a number of fascinating teaching moments during an assignment meant to demonstrate how much personal information is floating around online.

The assignment from the class's professor, Joel R. Reidenberg, was, admittedly, a bit provocative: create a dossier about Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia from what can be found on the Internet.

Why Justice Scalia? Well, the class had been discussing his recent dismissive comments about Internet privacy concerns at a conference. His summation, as reported by The Associated Press: "Every single datum about my life is private? That's silly."

Yet the class managed to create a dossier of 15 pages, Professor Reidenberg reported to a conference on privacy at Fordham, that included the justice's home address and home phone number, his wife's personal e-mail address and the TV shows and food he prefers.

Bottom line, there is no such thing as internet privacy.

If credit card databases can be hacked, firewalls breached, computers hijacked to do things while you are asleep that you dont know they are doing (DDOS attacks) why does anyone assume what is on Facebook is limited only to my friends.

If someone wants into a Facebook account badly enough, I would make the assumption they can get in.

I am not saying dont use it, just dont put anything on that page you wouldnt want to see in the newspaper.

Oh, so should our old friend "Common Sense" be introduced to the web? Sorry, I forgot that he/she seems to have disappeared, rarely resurfacing. And when she/he does, it immediately seems to be seen as either a miracle or an attack on civilization.

Do what you can to protect yourself, your family, and personal information. If they want to find it, and you put it there, even behind barriers, they likely can get to it if it if they really want to. Just like we lock doors, close windows, and sometimes use security devices on our homes, offices, and cars; thieves and miscreants still get in. Often it is because we become complacent, because our precautions have worked.

What i found intersting is that those FB quizes not only log into your info, but also your friends. While I am not a big fan of the ACLU, they do have an interesting "quiz" that shows you what kind of information can be tracked and recorded via these apps. As you take the 'quiz" information starts appearing from your FB pages and your friends pages.

Also let's not forget about the family that had their FB Christmas picture used for a chain grocery store's advertising campaign in the Czech Republic, if memopry serves. I actually stopped posting pics of the wife and kids to protect them.

On the other hand, it is a very good networkign tool. I've got in touch with a bunch of old scouting and school friends who i haven't seen in 12+ years.

On a personal note, FB also proves a thesis of mine that I cam up with in undergrad school. NOW THAT IS SCARY! (emphasis for humor, not shouting)

I'll bet that anyone who really wanted to could, within 10 minutes, discover my dog's name, my employer's phone number, and what outfit my nephew served with in Iraq. We are all globally connected, like it or not. These days it would take a conscious and very strenuous effort to avoid such connections and the next generation is even more connected that are we. The fabric of society has changed while we slept.

I had an ATM card in 1980 and my Dad freaked. In college I used the Gopher and Merit Networks. I remember similar concerns, angst and eye rolling in the early to mid-90's with this thing called the World Wide Web. Yet here we all are.

Social Networks are already becoming main stream as corporate gets into them...on to the next.