Have you seen this one........... an "entertainer" tells the pack that he has brought back a rare animal that is very talented. He has the cubscouts (two of them under a blanket, the rear one has a cup with an ounce of water in it) count with their hoof, then do addition, then step over one scout. Can this amazing animal step over two. Indeed he can. Now for the real test. I need a voluteer. A good natured adult is picked, possibly the cubmaster.The front half steps over then the back half lifts it's leg, dog style, and pours the cup on the adult. The adult is not really very wet.......Offensive?? I've seen it before.

Thoughts???

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I think it's great. We're not too politically correct around here. It is also a farming area and cow pats are often used as frisbee's, mosquito coils and for playing cricket etc. Animal waste is not worth a comment. Most of the Scouts fathers, when boys, used to stand bare footed in steaming cow pats to keep their toes warm in winter. Given this I think the audience would be fine with it here.

I've also been a leader in our nations capital and wouldn't try it there as the audience would look for offense. Too politically correct.(This message has been edited by ozemu)

The big problem I see with this skit if the unprepared adult takes offense to this. I had this one played on me and although I normally am good natured about skits, I did not like the idea that I had to finish the rest of the evenings program in a wet scout shirt. If I had been told I would have taken of my shirt.

If your going to do a skit like this, then you better make sure the person on the receiving end knows whats in store and won't object.

Yes it is an offensive skit.

Not the kind of thing that I as a parent would want, the people who are the "Leaders? " teaching my son.

With so many good skits out there do we need to stoop this low ?

While I have never been to New South Wales, I have spent a lot of time in Earls Court, London. The home to many Australians, in fact as a Scout one of the Assistant Scout Leaders was from Australia, think that is really strange that no one has ever mentioned the foot warming technique that has been stated here.

It's a tough line to draw on skits these days. My all-time favorite skit is "Stab-Die." It's been outlawed in my council as too violent. It is a very funny skit and the name really implies too much about it.

I have never found something nature (like animal urination) to be offensive. I think a rule can be made against sexual references, swearing, and inappropriate amounts of urine and excrement. But to splash a leader in the face with a cup of water does not offend me and I doubt it will warp a boy's mind.

Eamonn didn't you guys do this in the not so distant past? Really?

Lots of Aus isn't green enough for dairying. Beef people seem to associate differently with their cattle. They don't handle them twice a day. Sheep dung just isn't comparable also so maybe your previous Australians were raised elsewhere. Anyway was just trying to point out that manure etc is less offensive to some than others.

In my day job I mix with lots of city kids and they think a cow pat should go into a porcelan bowl. They just cannot see the difference from omnivors to herbivores.(This message has been edited by ozemu)

nldscout has an excellant point. In winter that water bites. I would expect that the 'victim' has been around a bit and knows what is likely to happen. Poor choice otherwise and since the 'victim' is so targeted there should be a spare shirt provided by the 'animal'.

These things are mostly done at camps here so there is a change of clothing back in the tent. But all the same the training benefit is in the 'animal' thinking the prank through to an accepatble end point.

A joke is only good if the 'victim' laughs (genuinely).

No way! One ounce of water won't kill anyone, used in this matter. This is an excellent campfire skit, but probably not the best when a bunch of adults are around. You have to remember that adults aren't the intended audience - it's all about the boys. Scouting, like everything else tehse days, can get too PC if we're not careful.

I do not see this skit as offensive, i have seen worse! Let's face it boys love bodily function humor. Although it's hard, i try to pick and choose my battles with the boys in the pack/troop (in regards to language and humor). There are so many far worse things out there than this skit. JMO

Sparkie

Our pack has two rules for skits and jokes: no dead bodies and no bathroom jokes. You will be amazed how much material that eliminates.

I'm not sure where this skit falls. Since it's not actually a "bathroom" joke, they may have us on a technicality. I'd probably let it in.

We have a bunch of skits where the fall guy ends up wearing the punchline. There's the "Worlds Greatest Baseball Pitcher" where the last pitch is a spitball. An my personal favorite, "Waiter, There's a Fly In My Soup" where the Cubmaster is down on all fours, pretending to be a table. The waiter puts a bowl of soup on the "table" and the customer refuses to eat it. Both stomp off in a huff, leaving our CM trying to figure out how to move the bowl without getting doused. We have a cold weather version where the bowl is full of rocks and he only thinks he's going to get wet.

There're a hundred of 'em!