• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to admit to being more then a little surprised, that so many of the people fail to see how really bad this is.

First, it is being performed by Cub Scouts. What message are we passing on to these young impressionable minds.

I fail to see any of the values of Scouting in this type of skit.

If urination, isn't Bathroom humor, What is ?

This isn't a matter of being or not being political correct, it is a matter of what is in good taste and what isn't.

A Scout is Clean.

This type of thing does nothing to help us Adults pass on this part of the Scout Law.

No Cub Scout has thought this one up for himself,there must have been an adult involved at some stage, even if it was at some other camp fire, the adult in charge ought not to have allowed it.

Please,Please show me how this sort of thing has anything to do with the fulfillment of Scouting ?

I agree with Eamonn, this is an offensive skit. But, heck, thats just my opinion.

Actually, just a few ounces of water is rather bland, I think the skit needs to be punched up a bit. Maybe as the water is flung a few unwrapped tootsie rolls could be dropped as well with an accompanying whopee cushion salute, If outdoors perhaps chocalate syrup mixed with marshmellows would be fun to drop as well, and as the critter goes off "stage" apple sauce with green food dye could come out of its nose.

Oh jocularity, jocularity, body noise and function humor, can it get any better?

Personally I think we tread thin ice when we judge appropriateness by whether the joke is funny or not, or whether or not the scouts have 'seen or heard worse'.

In my opinion where the skit became inappropriate was when an unsuspecting person was selected to be peed on. Sure they picked an adult, and in a group of adults that could have worked okay. But this was shown to kids and you have to know that at some point they will do it with other kids. Which kid to you suppose they will pick from a group to pee on? the most popular one? I doubt it. In this case we gave some one the tools to tease someone else and I don't see that as our mission.

just my personal feelings.

Bob

absolutely true Bob.

Again maybe there are regional differences. I have never seen another Scout of same or lesser age chosen as the victim. Except maybe if the victim actually came out the winner (deliberately arranged).

Adults with the appropriate sense of humour are the standard victim; and older Scouts / Venturers who are seen as adults by the other Scouts/Cubs maybe.

It could happen just never experienced what you describe as a certainty.

Actually once saw a leader force himself on the skit as the victim. He then deliberately overturned the skit to turn the 'animal' into the victim. Not from my Troop but I suspect now that he knew his Scouts and was ensuring that something inappropiate didn't occur. That's our role so it's a safe assumption. Making no point for or against this thread - just an observation born from Bob's post.

To also tag on to the last few posts:

Popularity in youth is a really funny thing. I see some groups picking the loudest and most popular boy to receive the joke. This kind of calling attention to a person can be seen as a badge of honor in some groups. I'm not saying this is right, but different groups act in different ways.

Back before hazing became much of an issue, our troop had scouts who lost an item do a song and dance in front of everyone. I agree with why this form of display was banned, but it was always enjoyable at the time. Boys would jump up to receive this sort of "embarrassment" probably because when the adults lost something, they were always enthused to sing and dance. Naturally this would not be forced on any boy who did not want to perform.

In any case, I have strayed. So instead of wasting more of your reading time, I will leave it at that.

It probably isn't the best skit to do. But we do tend to be very PC at times. Our Cubs have a song they know called "Mom Washed My Underwear" that they were stopped from singing at a campfire because....."it might offend someone". It isn't dirty in the least and is a cute and funny song. Some just felt that the mention of "underwear" (OH MY) could be offensive to some people. As a result, you see the same old skits and songs that have been done for decades over and over and over and over at the campfire. Ever notice how many groans and how little laughter there is with the same old tired skit performed for the 1,385th time. But at least they are acceptable skits! Calling all skit writers, we need new material!

I have gone over my notes from Camp School for Cub Scouts, and I'm in the right.

I have looked over my notes from the Course Directors Conference, and I'm almost right.

I played Rugby at both school and college, and know more rugby songs, with lyrics, that are, and were only suitable for that occasion.

I have attended the old Camp Fire Leaders course at Gilwell Park.

And I love the song God Bless My Underware.

While I hate the term "PC", I do think that we have to be aware of who we are doing, what for.

I do think that this skit, performed in front of young Tiger Cubs and Cub Scouts, is offensive.

Maybe at a Troop Campfire, where all the boys know each other it might not be as offensive.

My understanding of "PC" is seeing something that may or may not be there. For example the Big Hand Cheer, I see it for what it is, and will continue to use it. There are people who might see a bunch/Group of people in uniform with one arm raised, as something else which isn't there.

That is about as clear as mud.

OH Well, I know what, I was trying to say.(This message has been edited by Eamonn)

I was about to comment on this being not approriate for Cubs when I remembered something. Ummm, I had just "a little" something to do with that cake at Blue & Gold that looked like....ummm....ummmm.... a used cat litter box.

But at least we didn't throw it on anybody or MAKE anyone eat it.

:::: grin :::::

Believe it or not, it is almost impossible to not offend someone with just about any skit! So maybe we should stop skits altogether! That would end the problem & the PC police would be happy!

NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Maybe you could challenge your troop to write some new skits that are acceptable and funny, you know it can be done. There is a commerical running around here on the cable staitons, its VHS tapes of the old Red Skelton show, now he could keep you laughing for hours and never did "blue" comedy (that I remember)

Here a bit our kids came with last year:

Hey, how did you get your shirt so dirty?

Well, it got Staind in a Puddle of Mud running with that guy from Three Doors Down through Linkin Park. It was feeding time at the zoo and we didnt want to miss the Gorrillaz. But its ok, I can tie a taut line hitch or some other Slipknot and make a Mudvayne now that this shirt is ruined.

Well, gotta run, the trading post is open and I want to get a candy bar for 70 cents, I have 3 quarters so I know I will get a Nickelback, then I have to hustle over to the E-Con Area, they are combining Space Exploration with the Environmental Sciences merit badge and I have to observe an Alien Ant Farm for 2 hours a day for 5 days

Believe me this is killer stuff, and not off color

OK, here's what happened. I have seen this skit and have even been the good natured victim. I got up sputterling (even though it was only an ounce or two of water) and shook my finger at the now laughing and running cubs. No big deal. I was, however, absent at the last pack meeting where this skit was performed recently. I never heard whether the victim was "in the know", but my guess was he wasn't. The Cub Master and Den Leader resigned over the skit and the irrate dressing down they received from the ever so slightly damp adult. Good Lord.

What about the "Two suckers on a Stick"

What about the "Deep under ground the Sap is still running"

Or "There's my sock"....in the soup skit.

The skit books are FULL of skits that are offensive in someway.

How about "The ugliest man in the world"

Seems like a tempest in a teacup. Years ago most of the ethnic slurs were dropped, thankfully... but other skits still offend some. The one I find most offensive is the one that makes fun of Girl Scouting, using a cookie selling Girl Scout. I am equally offended by several GS songs which demean BSA. I do not let my girls sing them.

What then shall we do? Several people have suggested the many tasteful skits. Show me the website.