The Community Organizer in Chief and the BSA Report to the Nation

HMMMM, I guess speaking the truth is a censurable thing when it conflicts with a moderators right wing sentiments. It amazes me just how excessively right wing this forum has become lately. Freedom of speech is not dead in this country yet, just in this forum.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You got it Skeptic - It is indeed a melding of the names.

I meant to say Earnest Thompson Seaton and Dan Beard - but in my rush to finish - just combined them. But it must not have been that bad because folks still understood (I guess they are pretty interchangable).

You know, in all this hulabaloo by some that this was a "closed to press" meeting - I sure was able to find a number of press mentions of the meeting. Does anyone have any proof that these same meetings were open under the Bush, Clinton, Bush, Reagan, Carter, Ford, Nixon (etc.) administrations? Not conjecture - but real proof? I looked for a scheduling calendar for Bush and couldn't find one online. As far as any of us knows, these meetings have traditionally been closed to the press, except for perhaps a very brief photo opportunity so this may not be something new at all. For all we know, it could be a closed to the press meeting at the request of the BSA so that the BSA isn't accused of allowing themselves to be used as a political prop by a President.

Either way, I suspect the ruckus being raised about this is another false issue being touted by people of a particular political persuasion who can't find anything substantial to complain about.

Calico

Calico;

While I hope your take on it is right, I fear that more likely it is because many, especially those who have their noses out of joint to one side or the other, really do not have knowledge of the prominent men involved in BSA's beginning. I suspect that both Beard and Seton would be appalled at some of the things that go on today in the program and the statements and claims that are made. On the other hand, they might also be pleased that some element of the program still clings to the things they found important in life and in leading youth.

From my perspective, one of our biggest problems today is the egocentricity of much of the populace, and the misconception that "freedom" means "license". One can hope that harder times might bring the sense of community back into vogue, rather than the continued "me first" attitude currently so common.

Only time will tell; and that includes this presidency which is still in its infancy. For me, it is far too early to pass judgement.

Actually our Congressional Charter requires an annual report to Congress, not the President.

We should remember that despite the fact that the BSA would rather talk about modern stuff like "leadership development" and "ethical choices" the actual mission of the BSA is stated clearly in its Congressional mandate:

Sec. 30902. Purposes

The purposes of the corporation are to promote, through organization, and cooperation with other agencies, the ability of boys to do things for themselves and others, to train them in scoutcraft, and to teach them patriotism, courage, self-reliance, and kindred virtues, using the methods that were in common use by boy scouts on June 15, 1916.

"Camping is not necessarily a big thing with them, as a matter of fact in some cases it is not big at all. So we need to kind of think about, is it more important that we reach that child with the kind of things we have for children and we have for families in character development and leadership skill growth and all of those things? Or is it more important that we get them in a tent next week? And so I think the answer to that is fairly obvious to us."

Bob Mazzucca, Chief Scout Executive, Boy Scouts of America

KUDU

Haven't you heard the Mazzuca plan, its all about MONEY and NUMBERS all the rest of the program will have to take a back seat. Why stop with Hispanic youth I am waiting to see what new ideas he has for seperate programs for African American youth and Asian American youth, oh and don't forget the Middle Eastern youth. Maybe the 2010 Jamboree can have an international theme. James West and Dan Beard must be rolling over in their graves.

BadenP writes:

Haven't you heard the Mazzuca plan, its all about MONEY and NUMBERS all the rest of the program will have to take a back seat

To that effect:

http://sev.prnewswire.com/education/20090304/DA7540104032009-1.html

Boy Scouts of America Creates National Development Office

Organization expands fundraising strategy with an eye toward its next 100 years

IRVING, Texas, March 4 /PRNewswire/ -- The Boy Scouts of America announces the formation of its first development office at its Irving headquarters. The National Development Office will expand fundraising efforts by identifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding relationships with corporate, foundation, alumni, and individual prospects and donors. Prior to the launch of the National Development Office, the BSA's primary source of national funding was local council service fees.

I don't mean to take this off-topic, but... wow. Really? The BSA has never had a national development arm?

I just always assumed it always had lots of people dedicated to writing grants and hitting up big donors for pocket change.

Hope the new direction of teh CSE does NOT affect my local SE. New SE is program oriented and is trying to EXPAND the use of our council camps. He's got staff that are program oriented, new DE I'll hopefully meet at RT tonite is a "Program Freak" or so I'm told, and he's made it known that he wants more "Outing in Scouting" by asking the OA to raise more camperships, creating coupons for scouts to use to attend summer camp, daycamp, and the high adventure base, creating programs specifically for CS at the high adventure base, and again increasing the eprograms and use of the 6 council camps.

As far as I know, the President has not voiced any opinion about how he feels about the BSA.

I know at times I get a little upset and peeved with people thinking that just because I'm active in Scouts and Scouting that I share some kind of what might be called Right-Wing, Conservative ideology.

I'm happy that a few kids got to spend some time in the White House, overjoyed that they got to meet the President and his Lady wife.

It would have been nice if the family dog had been there! But we can't have everything.

I have not as yet read or seen the BSA Report to the Nation.

But can't help thinking that no matter what it says, it is not going to make a great deal of difference to the Scouts in the area where I live.

My hope is that the new President will help in many ways the youth we serve. But I really don't think I'm going to lose any sleep if he declines the invitation to join the BSA or not.

Eamonn