Am I just nuts or what... ?

OK, the answer is yes, but I have to ask. What does the term Crakerbarrel mean to you in 500 words or less? At a Venture meeting I used the term and found several adults who said they never heard the term before. Now they could have just be pulling my chain, but I wanna make find out how generic or parochial this term is

(BTW the adults purported to be scouters)

FOr the youth one word meaning: snack.

Original meaning: sort of the civilian version of the scuttle on board a ship (i.e. scuttlebutt). Country stores used to have a cracker barrel (literally a barrel with crackers I believe) that customers and town folk would gather round for informal conversation. For Boy Scout troops, "crackerbarrel" or "cracker-barrel" or "cracker barrel" is SUPPOSED to mean the time when everyone gathers around the campfire (or equivalent) shares a good story and may munch away on something.

To most youth (and adults) nowadays, the original meaning is lost and most interpret the term as simply the "bedtime snack." For example, the boys in our troop ask, what is cracker-barrel for Saturday night?

I believe it may also be a copy-reighted term for a chain of roadside restarants. If so, the phrase originated before it was trademarked. That is the restaurants did not invent the term.(This message has been edited by acco40)

One night a week at summer camp, and usually on Saturday night during Ordeals, Camporees and Fall Fellowships. Usually hosted by the OA. A "spread" is put out consisting of cookies, crackers, cheese, cold cuts, desserts, bug juice and maybe even leftovers from dinner. Just an unstructured time for fellowship, patch trading, telling of jokes and sea stories, or whatever. Sometimes limited to SMs and SPLs, depending on the event.

A restaurant chain that serves REALLY good down home cooking like biscuits.

OHHH, you mean in scouting. A meeting of leaders for getting info about upcoming events, socialize and to share snacks. Usually held at campouts.

Back in the day, it was an adults-only evening gathering at camporees, usually with a few quick announcements, but mainly as a time for a snack and a bull session among the adults. I remember as a 16- or 17-year-old JASM, it was a BIG DEAL the first time my SM ask me to come along.

More recently I've heard the term generically used to mean "snacks" as in "which unit is responsible for the cracker barrel at Roundtable this month?"

Besides Cracker Barrel (also used as slang for a watering hole for hicks) there are these gems....

Chief Cook and Bottle Washer

Back'Us Boys

Jack of the Dust

Scarce as hen's teeth

Graybacks

Clod Hopper

Fit to be tied

Skedaddle

Bread Basket

Been through the mill

and one of my favorites...

galore, from the Irish 'go leor' meaning in a abundance..

OGE -

I never heard of 'Cracker Barrel', except as a restaurant, until joining up with the Boy Scouts two years ago.

I've been a girl Scout forever, ( since the 60's, anyway) and never heard the term used that way before - so I can understand your parents' confusion! LOL!

LauraT

Here "tween the Bays" every district or council event that runs through a weekend is kicked off w/ a "cracker barrel." As noted earlier often light refreshments are served at this meeting for 1 or 2 unit leaders and the SPL (Sometimes ASPL) to review the schedlue & ground rules for the weekend. Generally scheduled for 9 or 9:30 kickoff so that all units are in camp before it starts and pretty well set up when the leaders return w/ updates. Many of our campmaster crews also conduct one on regular camping weekends to update units on their special presentations, activities or opportunities on a given weekend.

That's it soup to...

nuts.

Right,

that was one or two leaders from each unit. There could be a whole lot of confusion if 2 leaders and an SPL or two were the only ones to get the updates!

8:45 & obviously past my bedtime!

We use cracker barrel during overnight campfire, crackers, cold cuts, smores, etc. Each patrol provides their own version. Adult patrol usually does the cold cuts and a dutch oven dump cake or two. Keeps the boys at the campfire and in story telling mood. Camp chairs optional. Makes for a great way to end the day. We do try to limit the amount of sugar so that the scouts will settle down.

yis

cracker Barrel = dinner on friday night after the camp is set up. It is by patrol. Could start anywhere from 9pm to 12pm, whenever camp is all setup.

A little summer sausge, cheese, crackes, maybe some trail mix.

I first heard the expression used when I was a scout in Missouri decades ago. In the scouting context it usually means a late evening snack spread, often the last event of the day. These are primarily for adults and take place at training events and similar gatherings. Never heard of the restaurant chain. Are the restaurants any good?

Eisely,

I'm surprised you never heard about Cracker Barrel, the restaurant chain. I thought they were nationwide. I guess they haven't gotten too far west yet.

In any cause, I personally think these restaurants serve good food at a reasonable price. They serve country style food. They always have a store attached to them that sells a lot of old fashioned items. I recommend you try it out if you ever see one along an interstate.

Here in Arkansas I can remember the term being used back in the late 60's. When I first heard it was was tied to the snack time after the weekly OA induction ceremonies. It was a time for fellowship so that the new members of the OA could meet with the old hands and those that had gotten their Brotherhood could be congratulated. I always looked forward to the bologna, cheese and crackers! Now as SM I see the term being used for the Friday night leaders/SPL meeting at istrict/Council Camporee where snacks/coffee/hot chocolate and bug juice is served and also use it as the term for a Friday night snack before bedtime on a weekend outing.