He chose a White Woman

Bob, did the Scouts and Scouters who stood behind Sarah Palin's family today at a Republican political rally and cheered as she and John McCain spoke, also have BSA permission to wear their uniforms? (I know you don't know; it is a rhetorical question.)

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bob, do you have any evidence that the booing of the scouts was deliberately planned? Of course you don't. Just for the record.

PS: I won't have my hopes up, since you state it happened at the "last" DNC convention (which would be 2004), while the booing incident happened at the 2000 convention. You can't even get the year right.(This message has been edited by Merlyn_LeRoy)

"But my head and heart are clear now. McCain/Palin will have my vote. Too bad many others will vote purely on race or on how well they were "entertained"."

Why is it that so many people think that anyone supporting Obama is merely doing so because of race or "rock star" quality, and those supporting McCain are doing so for real reasons. I'm so tired of this.

"Why is it that so many people think that anyone supporting Obama is merely doing so because of race or "rock star" quality, and those supporting McCain are doing so for real reasons. I'm so tired of this."

i haven't heard an obama supporter mention anything about why they like him other than "goosebumps when he (obama) gives a speech" or "yes we can" or "change is good" - this counts for the people (friends included). of course change is good, yes we can, we all know it is... obama is going to change the world, only he knows how. i gladly refer to the obama supporters as obama zombies. he is a good speaker - just as bill clinton is (do you really believe he supports obama?), but past that, he would be good in a focused committee, not as leader of the free world.

change is possible now. change was possible previously. the democrats are in charge of congress... there is no legislation that says "no change allowed". if you think we are too dependent on foreign oil, switch to an electric car, whip out a bicycle, or walk. if you think uninsured people deserve insurance... open an insurance company that gives them insurance (you'll have the same source of funding that obama will.... YOUR pocket). you can keep companies from sending jobs elsewhere in the world -- i don't know how on earth he's going to do that -- that little snowball took off under the last democratic president. it isn't the job of the federal government to control every last aspect of our lives and rescue us from ourselves

BulldogBlitz says:

i haven't heard an obama supporter mention anything about...

This may because some people choose to discuss their partisan political beliefs on forums other than one that is dedicated to the discussion of a particular activity that is supposed to be non-partisan, in this case, Scouting. It may also because some people know that trying to convince others to vote for a particular candidate is usually a pointless exercise in an Internet forum, especially one that is not primarily devoted to politics.

>>It may also because some people know that trying to convince others to vote for a particular candidate is usually a pointless exercise in an Internet forum, especially one that is not primarily devoted to politics.

This woman is supposed to be the icon of conservative, family values eh?

Didn't she just have a child in April who has Down's Syndrome? Wouldn't a conservative, family values mother want to dedicate 110% of her efforts in making sure that child had everything he needed? How much time is left to be VP? Wouldn't a true conservative mother put her career aside to care for her needy family?

I have plenty of reasons for supporting Obama that have nothing to do with "rock star" identity, just as I have always supposed that people who support GW Bush have plenty of reasons to do so other than his "defender of the Christian conservatives" schtick which I've always thought was fairly transparent anyway. People who accuse the other side of being vapid, too often need to take a closer look at themselves and/or give more credit to those who just happen to think differently about the world. I do not think Obama is devoid of substance, and often times the people who make that charge have simply not bothered to do their homework and look at his actual proposals.

At the same time, I too find it unlikely that I'm going to sway others to support "my" candidate via comments on a web forum. Consequently, I don't spend a lot of time trying to do that. What I do hope, though, is that people are willing to at least acknowledge that there are smart, thoughtful folks on almost all sides of any debate.

As for TheScout's comment - I find that to be racist and offensive, certainly not "scoutlike." It is also funny, in a sad sort of way, that anybody would suggest - given this country's history - that the only reason Obama is getting all this attention is because he's black. Oh Please. From here on out I will be blocking all of your future comments TheScout. It is too bad you haven't learned to do more with your historical education than spew garbage like that.

Bulldog,

No I don't think Bill Clinton suddenly loves Obama. Nor do I think McCain is Bush's number one cheerleader, or vice versa either. But I do think Clinton is smart enough to know that working to further divide Democrats is a certain way to help McCain win. And I think Clinton puts a win for Dems ahead of his personal feelings toward Obama that might linger from Hillary Clinton's defeat. Losing is part of politics and Bill knows that as well as anybody.

You mention this: "i haven't heard an obama supporter mention anything about why they like him other than "goosebumps when he (obama) gives a speech" or "yes we can" or "change is good"

Well ok, I have to ask - how often do you have serious political conversations with Obama supporters where you ask them to give you details?

My experience in attempting to engage people in discussion of their political beliefs is that this doesn't happen very often. We tend to interact only in our own comfortable circles of people who think "like us." When someone who thinks differently joins in, conversation of controversial issues is often kept to a fairly superficial level so as to avoid offense. Result: we don't tend to understand or really seek understanding of why others believe what they do, and we conclude from this that they must be idiots/shallow/easily led/etc..

Not saying that there aren't some people out there who don't ever get past superficiality! Knee-jerk Dems are just as bad as knee-jerk Reps, in my view. But, I just think a lot of the lack of detail has its roots in the way we converse about politics, and not in people's lack of understanding or thought.

Lisa,

I suspect you are a smart enough person to realize that race is big part of American life. You really don't think Obama's rise has anything to do with his color? Tell me how many other people risen fromt he state legislature to potentially the Presidency in a handful of years? I can't think of any.

Say what you wish but I think I am at least a reasonably astute observer of politics and think that people like a novelty.

Remember Mr Biden once said about Mr. Obama,

"I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy, I mean, that's a storybook, man."

McCain himself said in a recent interview that his number one criteria for picking a VP is someone who could step in and be prepared to lead if something should happen to him. Since he's campaigned so much on Obama's lack of foreign policy experience, why in the world would McCain pick someone as his VP with even less experience?