eagle scout ordered to take god out of park project

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm amazed this thread is still goin'! I figured it had to be people arguing for or against Pluto. Now here it is yeh want to take Saturn's Day away from him and make me write my name in hexadecimal!

Me personally, I'm offended by trees on public property.

Having rocks and trees and plants on public property makes public property a welcoming place for druid types of worship. That's clearly a violation of da establishment clause.

I think all trees need to be removed from public property.

Call da loggers!

Beavah

I join the Lorax! I'll speak for the trees! Those fabulous, marvelous Truffula Trees! They breath our waste gases and give us fresh air! They keep public places from looking too bare!

Harrumph to you Once-ler! We see through your disguise. You claim you're a Beavah, but that's just a lie. Cause everyone, everyone, everyone knows - that Beavahs need trees, even trees with bees knees! And Beavahs we know aren't Once-lers at all.

Calico

Look Ed,

We are trying to appease you and make everything as unobjectionable as possible. Its hard work. Its messy. It ain't pretty. It would probably be best if you just step out of the construction zone until we are done. Please stay behind the yellow tape. Thank you for your help.

"Sermons in stones?"

Yes, there are sermons in the observation of Nature, say, in bird life, the formation of every feather identical with that of the same species ten thousand miles away, the migration, the nesting, the coloring of the egg, the growth of the young, the mothering, the feeding, the flying power-all done without the aid of man, but under the law of the Creator; these are the best of sermons for boys.

The flowers in their orders, and plants of every kind, their buds and bark, the animals and their habits and species. Then the stars in the Heavens, with their appointed places and ordered moves in space, give to everyone the first conception of Infinity and of the vast scheme of his Creator where man is of so small account. All these have a fascination for boys, which appeals in an absorbing degree to their inquisitiveness and powers of observation, and leads them directly to recognize the hand of God in this world of wonders, if only someone introduces them to it.

The wonder to me of all wonders is how some teachers have neglected this easy and unfailing means of education and have struggled to impose Biblical instruction as the first step towards getting a restless, full-spirited boy to think of higher things.

http://inquiry.net/traditional/b-p/scoutmastership/service.htm

Merilyn said, "They aren't representations of pagan gods, they're the English names of the planets (which were named after the pagan gods)."

Based on the description of the monument, the stones could be interpreted as a promotion of pagan religion and need to be removed.

Ed, the simplest solution would have been to not include the "God" stone in the first place. Arguably, it has no legitimate place in an astronomy exhibit - unless of course your objective is to promote your own religious POV (ie., the J-C-I God as the creator of those planets).

No the simplest and bestest solution would be for the scout to follow the wishes of the benefiting organization. Even if he had the God stone in the proposal and after the project the organization requested he remove it (changed their mind or missed it in the review), he should remove it, no questions asked. No running to the local press, no complaints. Just remove the stone as asked to do. That would be the scoutlike thing to do.

The only way the media could be alerted is by someone in the scouting organization. The general public couldn't because they wouldn't be aware of it. The parks wouldn't have done this, its bad press.

So the scouting organization embarrassed the benefiting organization by going public with it. How many projects do you think the parks will allow from scouts in the future?

The only way the media could be alerted is by someone in the scouting organization.

The way it was presented, I'd bet it was the person who complained, not the Scouting Organization. And it could have even been the ACLU!

Blanket statements are seldom correct.

Arguably, it has no legitimate place in an astronomy exhibit - unless of course your objective is to promote your own religious POV (ie., the J-C-I God as the creator of those planets).

Didn't know this was strictly an astronomy exhibit. And having a stone for God as the Creator of the universe is one theory of how the universe was created. Very legit!

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

A blessed New Year to all