Inappropriate Adult Knots

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nachamawat,

You're certainly more than just curious.

They sure wouldn't wear it during the course, no. That patch has been around for many years, and I happen to like it. I think it looks pretty cool. A lot of people wear it because they don't realize it's unauthorized (similar to wearing the panda in the wrong place), unlike the rainbow square knot.

BDPT00

Well, if anyone is interested in purchasing the Rainbow knot, you can find it here:

http://www.scoutingforall.org/data/layer02/store.html

I do have a knot, but I don't wear it as yet. I think I would wear their oval patch before I put the knot on, but I digress.

While I agree with the organization's idealism, I think some of what they are saying is a bit extreme. Such as wanting Obama to reject the Honorary Presidency. I think they forget that while he is a Democrat, he has some very conservative personal beliefs.(This message has been edited by Tex-Mex Dad)

• 2 months later...

Hey Brent you were asking about the swastika - Twice I believe and wanted a response, well here you go.

In actuality the swastika was a ancient symbol used by many different faiths and cultures. usually it had meaning of the life cycle or the 4 elements , the native Americans used a circle with an x in it, and all were symbols of the cycles of life ect ... good things

it was not until Adolf Hitler adopted the symbol and used it to represent the Nazi Party in Germany. What did the Nazi party represent but hatred and contempt for others who did not believe the way that the state sanctioned? So, it was ok to violent and hateful to others as long as you wore the swastika proudly.

so if this is what you want to wear , I would ask you what is the meaning behind the symbol you want to wear?

The purpose of the inclusive scouter award or for scouting for all is to show people- to show our youth that you are a safe person to talk to if you are confused or need guidance. That by talking to you they should not fear being kicked out of the BSA because of confiding in a leader that they are supposed to trust.

Remember- a scout is trustworthy, loyal, kind ...

As a side bar, remember that the young man murdered in Wyoming because he was gay, was murdered by 2 young men one an eagle scout, the other held a position in the priesthood in his church.

So we can give our young men the tools through scouting to be better people but it is still up to them to make the right choices.

How sad that a little diversity scares so many, when all this goes back to is a small knot to say - you can talk to me.

(Edited for clarity) (This message has been edited by a staff member.)

I saw the topic title, "Inappropriate Adult Knots", and thought that I was dropping in to a discussion about the pros and cons of tying a Hangman's Noose.

Instead, I've learned that there is an illegal knot that I can put on my uniform to use as bait to catch...

Just kidding! Really! I named my son after my homsexual debate coach, because he was a good man!

JoeBob

LsStuff,

The swastika was an Indian (as in India) symbol for good luck, before it was hijacked by the Nazis. Rudyard Kipling used the symbol as part of his signature on books he wrote about Scouting, prior to the mid-1930's. I have a 1926 edition of "Land and Sea Tales for Scouts and Scout Masters" which has his signature in a circle, with the swastika inside the circle, right above his name. Any interest I would have in wearing such a knot would be related to Kipling's involvement with Scouting - and maybe to show how things can get out of hand when Scouters decide to start wearing unapproved and inappropriate knots.

Thank to for the link on where to order the patches. I don't believe in wearing knots on my uniform (it's Boy Scouts, not Adult Scouts), but if I did I would be attaching this one. I'm going to send some money, and I'll find a home for the circular patch somewhere.

I came through Scouts with some fine people who happened to be athiests or homosexuals (several of whom achieved the rank of Eagle Scout), and I seriously doubt that my current group of Scouts doesn't harbor any gays or non-theists at the moment, even if I don't know of anyone open about either. Scouting is a fine program for them too, and I don't see a reason for them to be excluded from my happy group of Baptists, Catholics, Hindus, various Protestants, Jews, shikhs, card-carrying-NRA-members, Dead Heads, and vegetarians.

"...and I don't see a reason for them to be excluded ..."

Yeah, that whole "On my honor,... do my duty to God...and morally straight." thing is just a bunch of words, right? I mean, nobody takes it seriously, right? The most important thing is that those athiest and gay Scouts got the nice pretty award pinned on their uniform, so they can feel good about themselves.

But, if the award turns out to mean nothing, and is nothing more than a pretty medal, then I wonder why it would make them feel good about themselves? Kinda reminds me about a certain president and a certain prize, but at least he didn't have to lie to himself in order to receive it.

Brent, your ellipses bypass 4 very important words, "to do my best". Even if you accept the premise that homosexuality is immoral per se (and I do not), a young man who avoids acting on his feelings can certainly be said to be doing his best to keep himself morally straight.

Duty to God is another matter, but I think a young person who is struggling with their beliefs is still doing his best. Is it better to blindly accept what you have been taught in church about the nature of the Diety, or to seek your own relationship with the Almighty?

Regards,

DWS

I just received the patch and I'll have it on the uniform as soon as I can remember how to thread the bobbin.

DWS, there's also that matter of the 'God' thing. Which one? How many? And for the Buddhists...they should be outta here if we're going to interpret those words the way many of us want to interpret them. As you note, it's ambiguous...on many levels.

That said, I suspect that Brent's view is closer to the majority view within scouting. I still don't understand why the organization wants to be a "religious organization".

As for my patch, they'll take it when they pry my cold, dead fingers.....