war on Christmas

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Ed, then how do you reconcile the fact that as a Scouter, you swear to uphold the Scout Law, which says you should respect the beliefs of others, to the fact that you feel you cannot respect my beliefs without compromising all of your own?

Dan,

I respect your beliefs. You are free to believe what you want. I don't agree with them but I don't have to.

I don't know you. I have no idea if I should respect you as a person. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt since you are a Scouter, though.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

A blessed Christmas to all

Respect:

1. To feel or show deferential regard for; esteem.

2. To avoid violation of or interference with

When I say I will respect the beliefs of others, I'm using meaning #2, which is the way I perceive the Scout law to intend.

When I say "respect must be earned", I'm using definition #1.

Oak Tree

Ed says: " Dan, I respect your beliefs."

Well, I'm very glad to hear that Ed. However, I am concerned about how quickly you were willing to compromise ALL your beliefs to admit that.

I asked: "Ed, could you please specify which of your beliefs you would have to compromise to be respectful of a Pagan Scouter's beliefs?"

To which Ed replied: "What beliefs would I have to compromise? All of them."

Whether you regard him as Lord or merely a great teacher, Jesus calls you to respect (and love) everyone, even when they offend you, disrespect you, or cause you far worse harm.

We are called to love one another. Love & respect are not the same thing.

While I respect everyone's beliefs, I don't agree with everyone's beliefs.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

A blessed Christmas to all

I agree with Ed. Its important to understand and note the definition of words. While Jesus implores us to love one another, we are not exhorted to accept all people and ideas in high regard.

SemperParatus,

How do you reconcile -

Jesus calls you to respect (and love) everyone, even when they offend you, disrespect you, or cause you far worse harm.

As compared to Jesus words in these verses:

But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees coming to where he was baptizing, he said to them: "You brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the coming wrath? Produce fruit in keeping with repentance.

Matthew 3:6-8

Did Jesus respect these men?

Or these verses:

Whatever house you enter, stay there until you leave that town. If people do not welcome you, shake the dust off your feet when you leave their town, as a testimony against them. So they set out and went from village to village, preaching the gospel and healing people everywhere.

Luke 9:4-6

Ed and Rooster,

You are right, it is important to understand the meaning of words or sentences. I think you guys are viewing "respect" as accepting other people's beliefs that are contray to yours. I think the actual intent is to respect the person's "right to believe" what they want, not "what they believe".

Respect...as in holding each other in esteem as a fellow human and child of God - not in whether or not we agree with another's words, thoughts or actions. I don't think it is possible to love if this broader concept of respect is lacking. R7, Jesus died for the Pharisees and Sadducees and you and me, all the same.

SemperParatus,

I believe Jesus died for all men. But not all men will receive Jesus. With that said, Im not sure what your point is concerning the Pharisees and Sadducees. He certainly did not respect them.

32"Whoever acknowledges me before men, I will also acknowledge him before my Father in heaven. 33But whoever disowns me before men, I will disown him before my Father in heaven.

34"Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35For I have come to turn

" 'a man against his father,

a daughter against her mother,

a daughter-in-law against her motherinlaw

36a man's enemies will be the members of his own household.'

37"Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; 38and anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. 39Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.

Matthew 10:32-39

Perhaps I am alone in my thinking, but Jesus does not seem to be saying, Say, do, and believe as you please, I will still respect you.