I know that this has less to do with Scouting specifically, and more with adult citizenship, but I feel as though it is an important message. Today is the first tuesday after the first monday in November of an election year, so I encourage all of you out there to exercise the privilege and responsibility of voting.

Peace always

author's note-it is not my intent for this thread to turn into an argument over the merits of one candidate or another. thanks.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Count me in on it. No pun intended. Can't wait to go vote when I take my little one to preschool. You would be surprised at the amount of people who don't vote. At the little nursing home where I work there are several people who don't vote at all. How sad. I couldn't wait until I turned 18 just to vote. America is awesome!!!! I want to keep it that way!

Carol

My wife & I will vote after picking up our 8 & 9 year old kids from after-school Taekwondo. They are almost as excited to see us vote as we are to cast our votes.

My wife and I try to do our homework on local elections that most local people know little, if nothing, about. We've had lots of discussions at home, including the kids, about the candidates, what they represent, and why we're voting for each one.

Ignoring specifics about candidates and national issues, our biggest local concerns are:

ROADS (very nasty traffic congestion seemingly ignored by those who can improve it),

EDUCATION (schools saying they don't have enough money, and clearly try to make parents feel their pain), and

TAXES(they keep going up and up and up).

Um...

Bob, did your post "jump threads" somehow? It would have made sense in response to "Saitou," the Scout (apparently) who wants to oust his Scoutmaster. It does not quite fit in this thread in response to bluegoose, who wishes only that we all vote (and who, coincidently, answers your question in his "profile," but I don't think it's him who you were trying to ask.)

We mailed our absentees from Hawaii to Michigan a couple of weeks ago. Since we're not Hawaii residents, I watch the local/state contests with some amusement. For example, I was surprised to learn that there's a clause in Hawaii's state Constitution regarding ballot propositions (there are 4 this year, including a "Megan's Law") that states if you don't check either "yes" or "no" on a ballot proposition, they count it as a "no", not as an "abstain". Considering the number of people who gloss over the propositions because they're not informed on them, it would seem impossible to get any of these things passed here with all the unintended "no" votes coming in. Go figure.

KS

I waited til after the morning rush, but I did it! Short wait, considering last week's line to early vote was over 2 hours long! Obviously, I didn't feel like standing in that line. I would, however, have stood in line that long today if I HAD to, knowing it's my last chance!

I voted a little before 2:00 central time.

One other guy slipped in the door just ahead of me so I had to wait a few seconds while they found his name on the list.

Then they found my name, I showed them ID, signed the book, voted, got my sticker, and left. As I was pulling out of the parking lot an older couple showed up. Pretty slow going at that hour.

My parents on the other hand encountered a line out into the rain when they showed up a couple hours earlier, so they ran some erand and went back to find a much shorter line.

I have only missed one chance to vote, and it was for a primary.